My K3 Experience

I'll do a comprehensive review soon after I manage to process some shots I took. Though actually IQ at web size ain't that different from K5. It's web size after all. What the K3 really improves on is the user experience. It makes shooting such a breeze.. And so much more enjoyable..

I'm wondering if I should start a separate review too. If you look at the Haida filter thread, and put yourself in the shoes of someone trying to find out more, the numerous comments between the individual reviews make it really difficult to find them..

Just one more point I noticed - the levelling sensor is working very well. The one in my K5 is off for sure..

Simon - technically speaking, 2000. That's the number that you can set. If you try 2001 it goes back to 1XXX. But I'm not going to try it. :bsmilie: I did a 20 shot stack this morning and it worked fine. The only gripe I have is that you have to count the exposures or watch the space available in your SD card go down.. Which is fine for 9 or 10 shots.. But imagine if you're trying to stack 99 for whatever reason.

2000! :bigeyes::cool:

If you do a review, I'm sure many non-Pentaxians will stand up and take notice. :)

I'll do a comprehensive review soon after I manage to process some shots I took. Though actually IQ at web size ain't that different from K5. It's web size after all. What the K3 really improves on is the user experience. It makes shooting such a breeze.. And so much more enjoyable..

I'm wondering if I should start a separate review too. If you look at the Haida filter thread, and put yourself in the shoes of someone trying to find out more, the numerous comments between the individual reviews make it really difficult to find them..

Just one more point I noticed - the levelling sensor is working very well. The one in my K5 is off for sure..

Simon - technically speaking, 2000. That's the number that you can set. If you try 2001 it goes back to 1XXX. But I'm not going to try it. :bsmilie: I did a 20 shot stack this morning and it worked fine. The only gripe I have is that you have to count the exposures or watch the space available in your SD card go down.. Which is fine for 9 or 10 shots.. But imagine if you're trying to stack 99 for whatever reason.

Thumbs up bro and k3. I tried handle it awhile....quite poisonous....lolxxx not in a hurry as my k5iis still served me well....maybe next year. :) cheerss

It will be great for you to do the review. Looking forward to it.

Yeah . Last night I google it ... and was shock to see the 2000 figure ..... WTH man ... lol

Thumbs up bro and k3. I tried handle it awhile....quite poisonous....lolxxx not in a hurry as my k5iis still served me well....maybe next year. :) cheerss

Hands shaking? While touching the shutter button? ;)

repost from the review section

some high iso shots to share for all who are interested..

all are shot on raw and convert to jpeg with adjustment to exposure and WB..not a true test of high iso as exposure was adjusted during pp..but i think its a fair representation of real life shooting (at least my style) to make fine adjustment to exposure in pp

iso 6400
11567396065_331a63b80d_c.jpg

iso 12800
11567738316_2f386ef60e_c.jpg

iso 25600
11567695373_a090a9f221_c.jpg

iso 51200
11567631763_9c3c135b0c_c.jpg

coming from a k01 background which uses the same sensor as k5/k5ii/k5iis..i think k3 iso performance is about a stop or so better than k01..previously on k01..i will limit to iso 6400 as i think that anything higher will be too grainy and mushy to post online..for k3..i think i will go up to iso 12800 and 25600 as a last resort..51200 is really not suitable even for online posting...

Still yet to release the review as I want to go through more shooting with it to see if there's anything else worth highlighting.

I was browsing through PC Mag this evening and was surprised to see mention of K3 in it. They even give it the Editor Choice award and proclaim that it's the best 24 megapixel APS-C camera for high ISO performance.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427371,00.asp

Hi guys, I just got back from a trip, did 2 weddings using my K3 and the pentax flash af540fgz. All I can say is that the flash performance on the K3 is a lot better than the K5. Where on the K5 you to need to know how to use and adjust the flash setting to get a proper fill in for the ambience lighting, the K3 does it more intuitively. Most of the time now, I don't feel like I have to wrestle with the flash. All I needed to do was adjust the eV to whatever settings I need and if I need more control, I just set to M. The wireless settings works pretty well too. A better and much improved experience I'd say.

Now the downside.... The battery doesn't last as long on the K3 as it did on the K5. On the K5 it'll last two photoshoots but on the K3, you better bring a spare. The juice runs out faster. And another reason, at least for me, I find that the awb and exposure goes a bit awry when the power goes down to 1-2 bars. But since I always being extra batteries anyway, it was just a minor annoyance, although I might have to consider buying a battery grip now.

The shops does not sell the black DBG5 battery grip for K-3 yet?? I asked a shop & the person said don't have, not even the price, not on the list. Anyone have any idea?

It's an expensive accessory which not many people would buy, that's why APD don't get them in in big quantity I guess. Better check w the shop and see if they can order for you.

As for the new grip. I guess some ppl swear by it and some ppl just don't use it. I find that i leave my grip at home most of the time.

coming from a k01 background which uses the same sensor as k5/k5ii/k5iis..i think k3 iso performance is about a stop or so better than k01..previously on k01..i will limit to iso 6400 as i think that anything higher will be too grainy and mushy to post online..for k3..i think i will go up to iso 12800 and 25600 as a last resort..51200 is really not suitable even for online posting...

What if it's converted to B&W? Sometimes the graininess actually can look good on B&W

Actually i find the NR does well to give a postable image at iso 51200:)

My experience moving from Kr to K3 is so smooth that
I did not have any problem getting to the right buttons on new K3.

Perhaps the position of the buttons design is so well thought of by Pentax that the change for user is so natural and easy.
While shooting these night shots without a torch light I was able to feel my way to the buttons to change to lowest ISO, Live view,
position the frame to the horizontal,change the spot focus position slightly higher, get a focus locked, turn off AF flick switch to MF,
set the f and shutter speed and take these shots on the tripod.

K3+DA15 Love the Stars bursts
_IMG0724.JPG

_IMG0726.JPG

_IMG0729.JPG

_IMG0730.JPG

_IMG0731.JPG

More K3 XMM shots...

_IMG4724.jpg

_IMG4769.jpg

_IMG5026.jpg

_IMG4901.jpg

_IMG4827.jpg

Reactions: Raffles88
Cheongsam Shots for 2014...

K3 with Super Takumar 50

K3 with CZ28

K3 with Takumar 83

K3 brings old SMC manual lens to Life !
Hope Ricoh Imaging bring this K3 technology into a new Mirrorless FF !

Hoya HMC 135mm f2.8
IMGP1531.JPG

IMGP1537.JPG

Asahi SMC 55mm f1.8
IMGP1650.JPG

IMGP1638.JPG

This one even Cropped 1/5 still so sharp !
IMGP1605.JPG

Last edited: