My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

This little chap is looking at his lunch before eating it. Nice sharp pic!

Nice shots.

However, imho, the bokeh dont seem to be very smooth for the sigma 70-200/2.8.

i am also thinking of the next lens option.

Of cos its better in build quality. For the same amount of money you can buy 2 pieces of 85 f1.8. :bsmilie:

CLONE!
Reveal thyself!

:D :D

Yes yes,... this is what I wish to shoot if I make my move to Pentax kx or Canon 550D. Wow,... your example hit it on the nail. The quality of this picture is so beautiful to me..

What brand/lens is this 85mm 1.4? Does it AF?

thanks buddy!

Looks like the FA*85mm F1.4. This is AF . . . BUT the price will kill you as it will cost about $1.6K to $1.8K 2nd hand . . .

Yeah, its a FA*85/1.4 and its AF (a 85/1.4 is expensive for any brand)

wksoh,
Hopefully the 85mm shootout this Sat will help you find your answer.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714158

For now, I can only dig up this old thread from flowerpot that best illustrates the ability of the 77ltd and FA*85.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5469870&postcount=62
To me, a person needs to be a very discerning/detailed viewer to make out the difference in OOF rendering and be concerned over either lens choice. Both are as good to me.

There are certainly more options for portraits than an 85mm. A 100/2.8 macro will do the job as well.

Looks like the FA*85mm F1.4. This is AF . . . BUT the price will kill you as it will cost about $1.6K to $1.8K 2nd hand . . .

Fainted....$$$$

Fainted....$$$$
You'll get used to it. Not just the price, it's not even readily available... But everything are still reasonably cheap compared to Leica-land.

U are talking about the film KX or the digital K-x?:confused:

AF is pretty fine, similar to my eos1000d. I m generally a single point AF shooter most of the time, so the much talked about 'no active AF point display' is fin with me. of course it better if they offer it!

Nikon menu & buttons drives me nuts, but pentax menu layout are ez to learnt. So I got acquainted with it easily w/o reading in-depth of the manual.

Bro... really?!? Must ask this kind of questions?

THank you for the kind response. Planning to use for the likes of model shootout.. yes :)

For street shooting, the 77mm can be workable but for your intended purpose, it is generally too long for full body shots, especially indoors. Some of the the pics I referred you to in the earlier post are 3/4 body and I am already some distance away from the subject.

For me, a shorter lens like the FA43mm or the FA31mm are more workable, although they probably won't have the bokeh you looking for. Following are some examples. To use the 77mm in this instance will mean I have to be further back. Many times, this is not possible due to space. And you will also get people inteference in a crowded environment.

Hope this helps. BTW, both pics are uncropped.

FA43mm @ F5.6
IMGP4756.jpg

FA31mm @ F4.0. Also works very well for full body
IMGP5585ss.jpg

Last edited:
TS, if you are going for free model shoots like SIN,BBT,etc a lens like an 85mm may not always be the best bet. The distance between subject and you needs to be further and that can mean that other ppl will get in the space between you. In such cases a 85mm can form part of you equipment, but you need something else to cover shorter working distances as well. A 50/1.4 would be a good solution. Even an old reliable like the Tamron 28-75/2.8 (~$750) will prove to be very versatile in such situations. The DA70 is more viable as well.

TS, if you are going for free model shoots like SIN,BBT,etc a lens like an 85mm may not always be the best bet. The distance between subject and you needs to be further and that can mean that other ppl will get in the space between you. In such cases a 85mm can form part of you equipment, but you need something else to cover shorter working distances as well. A 50/1.4 would be a good solution. Even an old reliable like the Tamron 28-75/2.8 (~$750) will prove to be very versatile in such situations. The DA70 is more viable as well.

Tammy 28-75 is ard $600 now when I bought it. This is also quite good. Though now I usually use it for my Super Program.

What type of portrait situation are you looking at?
Street candid portraits? 1 to 1? Group model shoots? Free ones like Auto shows?
It will influence what is best used.

I give you the option that will settle all this and is quite cheap either brand you buy.
Sigma 70-200/2.8 :D
Yes. No joke. Its good enough for many wedding photographers its good for you and me.
For a full body shot with good subject isolation the long end of the 70-200 (ie. 135-200mm) is the way to go.

I don't like full body shots too much, but here are a few that I can dig up from my limited photos that I have.
Not exactly fair comparisons since focus distance is different, bkgnd distance is not exactly the same.

85/1.4
4671902998_d9e39cc133.jpg

Hello Pinhole, can I ask what camera did you use to shoot this? Can 1.5x crop camera do this with the 85mm 1.4? THanks :)

Hello Pinhole, can I ask what camera did you use to shoot this? Can 1.5x crop camera do this with the 85mm 1.4? THanks :)

It was on a K7. It is a 1.5x crop camera.

What type of portrait situation are you looking at?
Street candid portraits? 1 to 1? Group model shoots? Free ones like Auto shows?
It will influence what is best used.

I give you the option that will settle all this and is quite cheap either brand you buy.
Sigma 70-200/2.8 :D
Yes. No joke. Its good enough for many wedding photographers its good for you and me.
For a full body shot with good subject isolation the long end of the 70-200 (ie. 135-200mm) is the way to go.

I don't like full body shots too much, but here are a few that I can dig up from my limited photos that I have.
Not exactly fair comparisons since focus distance is different, bkgnd distance is not exactly the same.

85/1.4
4671902998_d9e39cc133.jpg

Hello pinhole or anyone out there....

can the Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro do this bokeh?
i.e. Full head to toe body shot with bokeh in background (similar back ground distance)..

I'm a sucker for bokeh (full body human portraits; not head shots, children, small objects or animals)... sorry I wish I can afford full frame. Trying to maximize what I can afford.

thanks a million!

Last edited:
Hello pinhole or anyone out there....

can the Pentax 100mm f2.8 macro do this bokeh?
i.e. Full head to toe body shot with bokeh in background (similar back ground distance)..

I'm a sucker for bokeh (full body human portraits; not head shots, children, small objects or animals)... sorry I wish I can afford full frame. Trying to maximize what I can afford.

thanks a million!

Here.
Did this on my way to work, since there is a special request ;)

Shot with a F 100/2.8 macro
The DOF is a bit more, but you get better sharpness. Subject isolation is still very good (YMMV).
Its not the new WR version with the circular blades, so I don't know how that renders the oof bkgnd.

K7JP1603.JPG

K7JP1605.JPG

K7JP1611.JPG

Note the distance of the bkgnd to subject as well will give you varied results.
Also note that you need about 3-5m working distance from subject for a full body, so ppl can get in between you and subject.

Here.

The DOF is a bit more, but you get better sharpness. Subject isolation is still very good (YMMV).
Its not the new WR version with the circular blades, so I don't know how that renders the oof bkgnd.

K7JP1603.JPG

K7JP1605.JPG

K7JP1611.JPG

Also note that you need about 3-5m working distance from subject for a full body, so ppl can get in between you and subject.

oh wow...these shots are good...:) So sharp!

Here.

K7JP1605.JPG

K7JP1611.JPG

wow pinholecam, I need to really thank you,... I think you helped a lot of people like me who are interested in the 100mm f2.8... :)... I take my hat off and bow.. :)

oh wow...these shots are good...:) So sharp!
Thanks man!
Well, win some loose some. I'd wish that the bkgnd were a bit more OOF.

wow pinholecam, I need to really thank you,... I think you helped a lot of people like me who are interested in the 100mm f2.8... :)... I take my hat off and bow.. :)

No prob.
I'd hope the good service support convinces you to buy a Pentax :bsmilie: