My initial white KX preview, compared to eos1000d

Thanks for the tip..
Let me know your 1st charge can last how many shots.. Are you using standard Sanyo chargers?

Thanks for the tip on where to demo too.. :)

SLRR can 'demo' too.They will take it out of the box and let u hold it but you cannot snap snap cos of the SC:)

Wow....! I'm impressed! Do you need a specific charger to achieve that?.. I read about individual channel Maha chargers.. Thanks Cleonbus.. I think you're the right guy I can find out more.

Does the white balance tend to be darker for photos? (Can fix with EV though).

Can help me answer In case you know: How does the Bokeh of the 77mm f1.8 compare with Canon 85mm f1.8? (When taking full body portrait - not shoulder / head shots).. I'm planning to take pictures with person standing and bokeh at the back - without going to full frame (can't afford + the size). I tried to search for 77mm f1.8 stadning portraits but are too few in flicker.

I've been doing homework.. :).. considering Canon 550D and the Pentax k-x. For Canon's price, I figure I can get an extra lens with Pentax K-x.

Many sincere thanks

Have a look here, thread 179
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667013&page=9

All pics were taken with the FA77, mostly at f2.0. There are some semi full body shots for you to peruse ;)

Does the white balance tend to be darker for photos? (Can fix with EV though).

Can help me answer In case you know: How does the Bokeh of the 77mm f1.8 compare with Canon 85mm f1.8? (When taking full body portrait - not shoulder / head shots).. I'm planning to take pictures with person standing and bokeh at the back - without going to full frame (can't afford + the size). I tried to search for 77mm f1.8 stadning portraits but are too few in flicker.

I've been doing homework.. :).. considering Canon 550D and the Pentax k-x. For Canon's price, I figure I can get an extra lens with Pentax K-x.

Many sincere thanks

In my opinion, the exposure meter isn't so accurate sometimes, so need some EV adjustment or change metering mode.

If u wanna compare pentax kx vs canon 550D, the price of entry KX wins hands down.
Features wise - it up to you to decide which are important.
Other lenses - u need to research.

But the additional lens/accessories (apart fm the kit lenses) is where the diff would be. it is so much easier to b&S with canon & nikons cause of their much larger user base. when i had a minolta/sony....i waited so long for a used 80-200/f2.8...and it caused a lot more than the canon. For 85/1.8 u can get 450-500 used. not sure for pentax.

juz my thoughts..both systems...in fact all systems allows u to shoot professional results...so it's entirely up to u 2 choose...

Last edited:

All pics were taken with the FA77, mostly at f2.0. There are some semi full body shots for you to peruse ;)

actually I have the same question but I am rather looking at the 70mm f2.4. Anyone has any full body portrait samples at f2.4?

looking for a lightweight travel cam.

actually I have the same question but I am rather looking at the 70mm f2.4. Anyone has any full body portrait samples at f2.4?

looking for a lightweight travel cam.

F2.8 good enough for you? (0.4 stops doesn't really make a difference. Trust me)

3479680635_a7bcdef010.jpg

3454722728_d3ff68f033.jpg

Can do birding too ;p (f4, heavily cropped)
3450221464_13e1a232c8.jpg

I really appreciated the small size of the DA. My jacket pockets became my lens storage and it didn't weigh me down. :thumbsup:

I'm using the 2hr Sanyo charger.WB nope.Unfortunately,i do not own both the FA 77mm f1.8and EF 85mm f1.8 so i cannot tell you about the bokeh of both lenses.

As for price,K-x(300mm kit)is $1103.A 550D 18-55 kit is $12xx(Street price).After getting the K-x,i think you still have enough money to get some accessories:)

Thanks Cleonbus,...the 2 Hr Sanyo charger with eneloops can go 900 shots (w/o live view)?.. nice!!

Thanks for the pictures, they are very nice! Amazing lens the FA77.

If you have additional pictures with feet to head, pls share your link with me. I'm curious what happens at that distance. The FA77 lens is very costly,.. I cannot afford to make a mistake.. ;p

I'm targeting the lens first,.. then the camera.. so either 1)550D + 85mm 1.8 or 2) Pentax k-x + 77mm 1.8

Is there any affordable alternative for Pentax k-x for 77mm1.8? Third party 85mm f1.8 for Pentax k-x that auto focus?
If I get the FA77mm 1.8, the cost advantage of the Penax K-x diminishes against the Canon 550D + 85mm f1.8, so it's taking quite a while before I jump in.

thanks,
SOH

Last edited:
F2.8 good enough for you? (0.4 stops doesn't really make a difference. Trust me)

3479680635_a7bcdef010.jpg

3454722728_d3ff68f033.jpg

Can do birding too ;p (f4, heavily cropped)
3450221464_13e1a232c8.jpg

I really appreciated the small size of the DA. My jacket pockets became my lens storage and it didn't weigh me down. :thumbsup:

THanks for the photo!
First pix may not have enough bokeh I have in mind for a head to feet portrait. 2nd is closer.

If you have additional pictures with feet to head, pls share your link with me. I'm curious what happens at that distance. The FA77 lens is very costly,.. I cannot afford to make a mistake.. ;p

I'm targeting the lens first,.. then the camera.. so either 1)550D + 85mm 1.8 or 2) Pentax k-x + 77mm 1.8

Is there any affordable alternative for Pentax k-x for 77mm1.8? Third party 85mm f1.8 for Pentax k-x that auto focus?
If I get the FA77mm 1.8, the cost advantage of the Penax K-x diminishes against the Canon 550D + 85mm f1.8, so it's taking quite a while before I jump in.

thanks,
SOH

I only know of the DA70 as a current Pentax option. Sorry not familiar with third party offerings in this focal length but I think there are some in the 85mm range (there is a current thread going regarding them).

What exactly are you looking for? The look of the bokeh is also affected by the background (whether it's clustered or clean) and the distance of the subject from the background...
Are you planning to use it in an organised model shoot or just general potraiture ?

Last edited:

thanks,
SOH

The K-x with the FA77 F1.8 is a good option but you must know that the FA77mm was made for the older autofocus SLRs but can be used for the DSLRs AND they are made of pure metal, unlike the Canon 85mm F1.8, which has a plastic body, that is why there is a price difference . . .

Why not get the various options?
1. K-x Kit 2 with the 18-55mm + 50-200mm first
2. K-x Kit 1 with only the 18-55mm + DA 70mm F2.4
3. K-x Kit 1 with only the 18-55mm + DA 40mm F2.8
4. K-x Kit 1 with only the 18-55mm + FA 43mm F1.9

Other options:
Sigma 85mm F1.4 AF(in the works and not in the market as yet)
Samyang 85mm F1.4 (manual focus)
Pentax K 85mm F1.8 (manual focus)

If you have additional pictures with feet to head, pls share your link with me. I'm curious what happens at that distance. The FA77 lens is very costly,.. I cannot afford to make a mistake..

thanks,
SOH

What type of portrait situation are you looking at?
Street candid portraits? 1 to 1? Group model shoots? Free ones like Auto shows?
It will influence what is best used.

I give you the option that will settle all this and is quite cheap either brand you buy.
Sigma 70-200/2.8 :D
Yes. No joke. Its good enough for many wedding photographers its good for you and me.
For a full body shot with good subject isolation the long end of the 70-200 (ie. 135-200mm) is the way to go.

I don't like full body shots too much, but here are a few that I can dig up from my limited photos that I have.
Not exactly fair comparisons since focus distance is different, bkgnd distance is not exactly the same.
135mm at f2.5 or f4
K7JP0802.JPG

85/1.4
4671902998_d9e39cc133.jpg

300/4.5
This one not human portrait, in fact he is smaller and the subject isolation is better, but hope you get the idea. :D
4586188298_4555818325.jpg

Last edited:
You should really consider the DA 70, its much cheaper and its special in its own way.

I give you the option that will settle all this and is quite cheap either brand you buy.
Yes. No joke. Its good enough for many wedding photographers its good for you and me.
For a full body shot with good subject isolation the long end of the 70-200 (ie. 135-200mm) is the way to go.

I don't like full body shots too much, but here are a few that I can dig up from my limited photos that I have.
Not exactly fair comparisons since focus distance is different, bkgnd distance is not exactly the same.
135mm at f2.5 or f4
K7JP0802.JPG

85/1.4

300/4.5
This one not human portrait, in fact he is smaller and the subject isolation is better, but hope you get the idea. :D
4586188298_4555818325.jpg
This little chap is looking at his lunch before eating it. Nice sharp pic!

If I get the FA77mm 1.8, the cost advantage of the Pentax K-x diminishes against the Canon 550D + 85mm f1.8, so it's taking quite a while before I jump in.

thanks,
SOH

The BIG advantage is Pentax has in-body Shake Reduction for all lenses mounted onto the camera. The K-x has terrific high ISO performance. Add them together and you got a good start to shooting available light shooting handheld. The FA 77mm easily beats the Canon 85mm f/1.8 in terms of build quality.

I only know of the DA70 as a current Pentax option. Sorry not familiar with third party offerings in this focal length but I think there are some in the 85mm range (there is a current thread going regarding them).

What exactly are you looking for? The look of the bokeh is also affected by the background (whether it's clustered or clean) and the distance of the subject from the background...
Are you planning to use it in an organised model shoot or just general potraiture ?

THank you for the kind response. Planning to use for the likes of model shootout.. yes :)

The K-x with the FA77 F1.8 is a good option but you must know that the FA77mm was made for the older autofocus SLRs but can be used for the DSLRs AND they are made of pure metal, unlike the Canon 85mm F1.8, which has a plastic body, that is why there is a price difference . . .

Why not get the various options?
1. K-x Kit 2 with the 18-55mm + 50-200mm first
2. K-x Kit 1 with only the 18-55mm + DA 70mm F2.4
3. K-x Kit 1 with only the 18-55mm + DA 40mm F2.8
4. K-x Kit 1 with only the 18-55mm + FA 43mm F1.9

Other options:
Sigma 85mm F1.4 AF(in the works and not in the market as yet)
Samyang 85mm F1.4 (manual focus)
Pentax K 85mm F1.8 (manual focus)

Thanks for the suggestions...:) I really get a lot of nice advice in the Pentax forum :). Nice list,.. going to do more homework on your list.. :)

The FA 77mm easily beats the Canon 85mm f/1.8 in terms of build quality.

Of cos its better in build quality. For the same amount of money you can buy 2 pieces of 85 f1.8. :bsmilie:

85/1.4

Yes yes,... this is what I wish to shoot if I make my move to Pentax kx or Canon 550D. Wow,... your example hit it on the nail. The quality of this picture is so beautiful to me..

What brand/lens is this 85mm 1.4? Does it AF?

thanks buddy!

Last edited:
Yes yes,... this is what I wish to shoot if I make my move to Pentax kx or Canon 550D. Wow,... your example hit it on the nail.

What brand/lens is this 85mm 1.4? Does it AF?

thanks buddy!

Looks like the FA*85mm F1.4. This is AF . . . BUT the price will kill you as it will cost about $1.6K to $1.8K 2nd hand . . .

Last edited: