My E1 with Nikkor 500mm mirror lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great shot! If that was free hand, how would have been on tripod? I have some times problem with the 150mm holding it still.

nightpiper said:
here is the pic of my girl shot at 1/50sec with FL36 handheld. crazy? yes, i know. :lovegrin: the lens is small & light so its possible to have a pic which is not technically perfect but good for the memory. :angel:

while u r looking at the pic, take note of the perspective it gives.

kid.jpg

here's 100% crop, not the sharpest but can still make out what it is.

kid100.jpg
isnt that the daughter of your neighbour that lives next block ?

nightpiper said:
ur proposed big mama less then US$290? need to find out more...
No, I am proposing an other big mama, so called 'real big mama' :bsmilie: Unfortunatly, I guess, the price is also 'real big mama' :angry:

nightpiper said:
...btw, i dun think u can take a shot of the moon in 5-6sec, it moves very fast, juz for those who hasn't shoot moon b4. so at 3000mm range, the moon will be out of the compositon placement after u tightened the stand & before pressing trigger. the 500mm already has this problem, so u need to play fastest finger first. :bsmilie:
Well, if moon moves too fast for you, that's your problem. My problem is the opposite, moon refuses to move, specially wintertime. Remember, you sweat to death in Singapore, I freeze to death in Sweden. Scientifically, due to the fact that you are almost exactly on Equator, your speed is actually much higher than mine. Quick calculation says that tomorrow is full moon. At your home, moon rises tomorrow at 7:01 PM and sets 6:35 AM next day. At my home it will rise 10:13 PM and sets 4:29 AM next day. But on the 5th December 2006, which is also a full moon, yours will rise 7:15PM and set 6:43 AM next day, while mine rises 4:04 PM and sets 10:35 AM. That is several hours diff. Figures over my home are exact (GPS measured on my driveway), while I just read off Latitudes and Longitudes for Singapore from a World map behind me, so that is not 100%, but near. Unfortunatly, sun also sleeps during winter here, so I will have a lot of time to take moon shots.

Try to take some new moon shots tomorrow, beeing full moon, it is also higher illuminated. I have no experience in astro, the 5-6 sec was just a guess. Anyway, the big mama I recomended probably has some functions to control via a computer and GPS to keep it stable. ;)

OlyFlyer said:
Great shot! If that was free hand, how would have been on tripod? I have some times problem with the 150mm holding it still.

u can always send the 150mm to s'pore for me to try. LOL!! :bsmilie: well, quite obviously if the pic was taken on a tripod, there'll be no evidence of handshake. that was a better pic, the rest were really bad. :sweat:

thx for telling me that the moon doesn't move that much at ur side. i thot it was pretty fast throughout the world. it has been raining everyday here so i m not sure if the full moon can be seen tonight, or covered by clouds. sigh.... lets hope u have a good shot of the moon instead, & dun forget to post it for us to drool. ;)

regarding the infinity focus on an F11 lens (really dark), unless the lens infinity point is right at the end of the turn, otherwise, like my lens, its somewhere at the beginning of the "8" marking & not the end. it still requires focusing to be sharp, so far the Leica i own seems to be the only lens that's spot on at the end of the turn where the infinity is marked.

:cheers:

When you going out shooting with the 500mm lens again? jio me leh..;)
hmmm where is that nikon adaptor ..let me find it somewhere...:p

nightpiper said:
...u can always send the 150mm to s'pore for me to try...
Thanks for your offer of testing my 150. Unfortunatly it is my own hands that has problems with long lenses today.

nightpiper said:
thx for telling me that the moon doesn't move that much at ur side. i thot it was pretty fast throughout the world. it has been raining everyday here so i m not sure if the full moon can be seen tonight, or covered by clouds. sigh.... lets hope u have a good shot of the moon instead, & dun forget to post it for us to drool. ;)
Well, again, I have to pass on posting my moon pics. It would just give you a lot of laugh. I actually went out last midnight to test and to take my first moons with my DC. I tell you, moon was almost on the same spot for the twentyfive minutes I was out. By then, around half an hour after midnight I was just too tired. I took several shots, all extremly overexposed. Started in Auto, I got F4.5 1/1.6 sec ISO 400, after that I went to manual, Aperture priority and tested several settings between ISO 100, 8sec, F11 and ISO 200, 30 sec, F14. All bad. I guess the moon is just too small with the 150mm. I just have to wait for my MF-1 to get bigger moon. Anyway, I hardly moved the tripod during this half hour, and the moon edges are sharp on all the pics. So, once I get it right, I will not have the same problem as you have with the moon driving F1 car in the sky.

nightpiper said:
regarding the infinity focus on an F11 lens (really dark), unless the lens infinity point is right at the end of the turn, otherwise, like my lens, its somewhere at the beginning of the "8" marking & not the end. it still requires focusing to be sharp, so far the Leica i own seems to be the only lens that's spot on at the end of the turn where the infinity is marked.
That is unfortunatly the case with my 150mm also, which makes it difficult to focus manually on moon. Is there any trick? Can not mark the position, since the focusing ring is a 'rotating forever' type. That will also be better once I have my MF-1.

nightpiper said:
u can always send the 150mm to s'pore for me to try. :cheers:

Can test right here in sunny SG :cool: .

OlyFlyer said:
Well, again, I have to pass on posting my moon pics. It would just give you a lot of laugh. I actually went out last midnight to test and to take my first moons with my DC. I tell you, moon was almost on the same spot for the twentyfive minutes I was out. By then, around half an hour after midnight I was just too tired. I took several shots, all extremly overexposed. Started in Auto, I got F4.5 1/1.6 sec ISO 400, after that I went to manual, Aperture priority and tested several settings between ISO 100, 8sec, F11 and ISO 200, 30 sec, F14. All bad. I guess the moon is just too small with the 150mm. I just have to wait for my MF-1 to get bigger moon. Anyway, I hardly moved the tripod during this half hour, and the moon edges are sharp on all the pics. So, once I get it right, I will not have the same problem as you have with the moon driving F1 car in the sky.

That is unfortunatly the case with my 150mm also, which makes it difficult to focus manually on moon. Is there any trick? Can not mark the position, since the focusing ring is a 'rotating forever' type. That will also be better once I have my MF-1.

i see where the problem lies. the moon actually is very bright, but becos its surrounded by dark sky, the scene will fool the metering. if u select spot meter, u will get speed like,eg. F8 with 1/15s speed. if u use F5.6, u prob will get 1/30s or 1/45.

as for "trick" to lock infinity, i guess u need to make a mark on the transparent distance display on the lens. i know it troublesome but thats the problem with ZD auto lenses. its a lot worse if u use the zoom, no focus stays the same throughout the zoom range. :sweat:

have fun with the moon!! :lovegrin:

TechMage said:
When you going out shooting with the 500mm lens again? jio me leh..
hmmm where is that nikon adaptor ..let me find it somewhere...
can... surely will give u a ring. i m thinking of a weekend at the Kranji Turf Club to shoot horse racing. ;) but not sure if photography allow or not. any info?

nightpiper said:
... if u select spot meter...
I forgot to say I had spot metering. Moon still too small in relation to the rest of all the black around it. I know the problem is because the moon is actually too bright, that's why I need to make the moon bigger or do it all manual.

i guess 'M' mode is inevitable. this is one of those moments where u need to override the auto features. metering easily fooled, not as intelligient as we thot, maybe next time there's a pic style mode that says "moon only". :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

OlyFlyer said:

I was thinking about that too. 1000mm at 1/50sec? That is like superhuman :) Then I realised it is the flash lah. But it must be hard to frame using the 500mm lens...

but very interesting lens you have huh. you want to sell must tell me. I have a nikon mount DSLR :)

wind30 said:
I was thinking about that too. 1000mm at 1/50sec? That is like superhuman :) Then I realised it is the flash lah. But it must be hard to frame using the 500mm lens...

but very interesting lens you have huh. you want to sell must tell me. I have a nikon mount DSLR :)
Flash or no flash, you still have to aim, hold and shoot, hold still while pressing down. Flash just freezes the moment, but if wrong moment frozen... I could definitly not shoot her on her face like that anymore. Not with a 1000mm anyway. Or might have to bind her for a long time, fixing her head and everything, than shooting many pics. I guess, the best shots would have many tears on that pretty face. So, that would not make me a good photographer, just a sadist.

wind30 said:
I was thinking about that too. 1000mm at 1/50sec? That is like superhuman. Then I realised it is the flash lah. But it must be hard to frame using the 500mm lens...

but very interesting lens you have huh. you want to sell must tell me. I have a nikon mount DSLR

me no superhuman, juz that at the moment of split sec, the cam didn't shift so much, so the image was captured. :sweat:

anyway ur S3 pro can't use this lens cos got no metering. same goes for S2 pro, Nikon D50, D70/s & D100. if u have D200 & higher end, no problem.

OlyFlyer said:
Flash or no flash, you still have to aim, hold and shoot, hold still while pressing down. Flash just freezes the moment, but if wrong moment frozen... I could definitly not shoot her on her face like that anymore. Not with a 1000mm anyway. Or might have to bind her for a long time, fixing her head and everything, than shooting many pics. I guess, the best shots would have many tears on that pretty face. So, that would not make me a good photographer, just a sadist.
i wonder if anybody makes a small scale hydraulic suspension sys meant for DSLR/SLR like those used to film star wars with many gyrometers. if there is, then no more shaky hands, its anti-shake all the way from the cam body to lens. :lovegrin:

btw, let me incl 2 pic of the big mama:
bigzoom.jpg

bigzoom2.jpg

sorry about the image quality, they r again shot with my mobile phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.