Modification of Nikon TC-16A For D50/70/80/80/200/300

Wanting to try out good ol' manual focus lenses, but still want auto-focus on your semi-pro Nikon bodies? I can help you mod the TC16-A to work flawlessly. :)

Topic is somewhat older, but I'm still very interested to know if you still offer this service. Have a TC16a and 501 (+Kiron 105/2.8 + Russian 500/8 mirror) and would use them on digital.

Yes, service is still available. You have PM.

Hello,
Are you still avaliable to mod these? Also would it be possible to send from the UK?
Many thanks
Jon

Hi Jon,

Yes, I'm still doing the modifications, tho' not actively refreshing this thread. The shipping cost to send to and fro might not be worthwhile, unless you can get someone to bring it over.

Modifying 2 TC-16A's tonight.

Left: Un-modified TC-16A
Right: Modified TC-16A. Note the different contact pin positions.

5958158612_9940c8b4c6_b.jpg

Thanks Alex. Bumping up this thread to thank you for offering your modification service for my tc16a. V reasonable quotation and yet great pro service though u mentioned you only do it as a hobby. Anyway, thanks n the tc is working great on my d90 and manual lenses. Can't believe i'm autofocusing my manual lenses now....

Thanks, pal! Glad that the mod is useful to you!

To update, I have modified a TC-16A to work with D700, and D7000 as well. :)

Thank you very much Alex. Professional service and advise all the way and quick turn around. Overall excellent service. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm really happy to be able to have AF on my old lenses once again............:D:D:D

My pleasure! I share the joy watching you test the TC with the lenses. Thanks for giving the B&W and slides film tips too.

A shot before I re-assembled your TC-16A:
6149617443_4117e74b8e_z.jpg

Hi,

I just send you a PM for mine !

Already replied and taken via email. Pushing up this neglected thread.

Huggable did a great job modifying two TC-16As for me. Fast and great value. Highly recommended.

The 16A is a great way to turn old manual focus lenses into semi-autofocus. It was designed to work with lenses up to 300mm, but I have found it works on lenses up to 600mm. I haven't managed to get it to work with anything longer yet, probably due to lack of light. With short focal length lenses it covers more of the focus range than it does with longer lenses. I also find it works well with the Tamron SP Adaptall 2 lenses.

Thanks, John, for the positive feedback, and your patience throughout the whole process.

The TC-16A was introduced as a quick-fix to use manual-focus lenses with AF bodies back then. It is still a useful convertor, I have seen it being used on mirror lenses too.

Decided to do up a simple FAQ to answer the common queries.

Q1: Where are you located?
A1: I stay in Singapore.  Typically I will meet up with you twice, first to pick up your TC, and then to return the modified TC.  If you are from overseas but will be visiting SG, please let me know the dates in advance. I can juggle my timing to get the modification done before you depart.

Q2: Do you do the modification for overseas members?
A2: Yes, however there are the cost and risk factors.  Due to its size, the TC cannot be sent as a standard mail/postage, but as a parcel.  From previous dealings, it is most economical to ship two TCs in a small parcel.  

All modified TCs will be thoroughly tested before they're returned, regardless of whether for local or overseas members.  I cannot be held responsible for damages sustained during shipping.  

Q3: What is the payment mode?
A3: For local modification, it's good ol' cash.  For overseas members, I accept PayPal.

Q4: How do I contact you?
A4: Please PM me with your contact number (local members) or your email address (if you're from overseas).

Finally! Managed to figure out the modification of the AF Integrated Circuit, with the help of fellow CS'ers. With this additional mod, D700/D300 users can set aperture values either via the command dial, or the aperture ring. The focus is also more accurate without having to use the AF-fine tune on the camera.

Interestingly, I tested it on a D5k and it could work in 'A' and 'M' modes, using the command dial. (Of course, no AF functions)

Image shows 3 pins disconnected to mimic 70-210mm F/4 lens, and focal length set to 145mm (approx).
6792027800_d09fd7c9e1_b.jpg

Refreshing this thread. The modified TC-16A is tested to be able to work with the D800/E.

Just did a TC-16A mod for Henry's spare TC:
8591344305_98529032e4_c.jpg