Microsoft XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
just a sidetrack...

btw, anybody tried 2 cpu with HT rig? is it displayed as quad processor?

One of the server at my office use 2 cpu with HT,
Yes, it displays as quad processor.

popeye said:
One of the server at my office use 2 cpu with HT,
Yes, it displays as quad processor.

wow, den i think if the server have quad processor with HT, den it would be octo processor (how u call 8?)...

btw just kpo abit, you dun use winxp for such quad processor already right... so using windows 2k3?

gooseberry said:
Hi blurbock,

What I was referring to was your comment here...

I was pointing out the fact that SMP and Hyper-Threading technology are two different things - SMP is at the processor level, HT is at the thread level. You can have one without the other.

hmmmm .... I should had phrase it as you can have multithreading without SMP but not SMP without multithreading :D ..... Thanks for pointing it out.

XP home as the name implies.. is meant for home use.. it has crippled stuffs here and there which the normal user wont need.

Oh yeah, nobody mentioned XP Home cannot join a domain. u need to upgrade to xp pro. but then, domains usually exists only in workplaces.

That's why if you're getting XP for a network of pcs.. better to go w Pro, u never know when you'll wanna get a domain up.

Home and Pro are equally stable. microsoft would be shooting their foot if they make they make home unstable just to promote pro. hehe.

HT simply allows a bit more speed for some heavy apps.. intel has very good "marketing" to help u understand how it works.. HT is pretty much standard now, why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.