Matsuri dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
Music: Matsuri from Kitaro

Ambient conditions: 20 Degrees room temp, humidity 55%, almost 0% ambient light, studio only lit by modelling lamps from the strobes.

Lighting setup: 3 bowens esprit, 1x 1.2meters octagonal softbox, 1 bowens beauty dish, 1 bowens background light reflector with blue color gel, 2x2 meters tall bookends.

i wish you guys were there to feel the mood...it was really like a personal dance performance for me.

my only complaint is the studio strobes unable to recharge fast enough for my machine gun finger.

special thanks to ALL who gave me ALL the advice wrt my home studio setup thread.
RBK, yes you are right, it's all about michael jordan's hang time:)

476498593_48b0efb32d_o.jpg

another one i love.especially her black asian hair.

different exposure as i have to up the lights a little to compensate for her darker complexion.

476494429_1c32888984_o.jpg

added new pic
made it more contrasty.
478101518_b2567aa570_o.jpg

sometimes, somethings are better to have continous and/or natural lightings... then you are only limited by your cam's fps.

nitpick... expression and hands... somehow different from what I expected. Did you see Kitaro's expression when he's playing Matsuri?

sometimes, somethings are better to have continous and/or natural lightings... then you are only limited by your cam's fps.

nitpick... expression and hands... somehow different from what I expected. Did you see Kitaro's expression when he's playing Matsuri?

i did.but dont expect dancers to close eyes like he does.they'll be slamming against my wall and my plasma tv behind the backdrop.:)

thanks for comments.:)

Most studio photographers would love to have fast recycle lights...

one way is to use "many" low power lights, so the lights can recycle fast ;)

unfortunately for amatuers like me, we sometimes cant afford the space and "what happens after i give up studio photography" issue.
as much as i love to have 10 strobes, but i have to think long term.

thanks for the inputs:)

Excellent effort, jeanie :thumbsup: My only nitpick would be that her face is a bit under-exposed... what's the direction of your lights? Looks like it's coming from the right? Would it help if your dancer did her jump facing the right instead of the left? Just a thought :)

Nice:thumbsup:

thanks shawn and astin.
:)

astin, i really put in alot of effort for these shots.i hope they are worth it....really.

Excellent effort, jeanie :thumbsup: My only nitpick would be that her face is a bit under-exposed... what's the direction of your lights? Looks like it's coming from the right? Would it help if your dancer did her jump facing the right instead of the left? Just a thought :)

my main light is to her right.
as i let her do her dance routine, i thought i shouldnt ask her to dance mirror image as it's totally different from her routine.yes.i really wish she was jumping to her right though but i will be capturing her backview if that's the case.

appreciate your comments and the advice you gave me recently JW.

without you guys, i really dont think i'll make or event attempt this kind of shots.

another one i love.especially her black asian hair.

different exposure as i have to up the lights a little to compensate for her darker complexion.

476494429_1c32888984_o.jpg

well done.

just pay a bit attention to the outfit. The pants appeared to be a bit to long, see the feet being covered by the pants in the first picture.

nice shots.

Overall the execution and concept is good ...

If you could introduced some rim lightings, so that the "flying hair" and the silky costume's sheen ( esp the black silk pants ) could be enhanced -- that would be technically perfect.

With a limited home space studio, i think this works is commendable -- keep it up!! :thumbsup:

oh yeah, forgot to mention, i would prefer the background to be darker :)

i tried that.
but it sort of darkened the background too much, and the blue light striking the background doesnt really show out for a subtle impact.

but point taken.
thanks wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.