Manga Coloring! (HunterxHunter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
u mean... u're not painting with an external tablet connected via USB? OMG! painting purely with mouse?! :bigeyes:

Yes. It's not as hard as most people imagine it to be. You just need to use layer mask, and a bit more patience. But it's tiring yes.

will be more shocked if he says painting with the touchpad... :bigeyes:

Haha, ever the funny man.

Jut my 2 cts, perhaps you shd ist decide where the light source is coming from so then you'll know how does the shadow falls, seeing that no shadows are painted yet.:)

I think the sun is on the top left.

Actually, the shadows are all at the bottom right while the light is on the top left. But I think it's not apparent enough. Do I need to dodge and burn more? Please advice, thank you Firestone!

Very nice, except I always imagine that boots in black instead of green... because I only read the black and white manga, not the anime. :)

OT a bit, I like HunterxHunter series(the manga version), but is the artist
Yoshihiro Togashi stop working on it for a while? cause I didn't see new chapter
coming out for a long time.

Yo, do you read it online? Or do you get from the chuangyi versions?

He just resumed. :D :D :D very happy! Been 2 weeks so far. Chapter 244 and 245 so far. This is from 245 when they stormed the King's tower. Neterro versus Pitou, Pufu rushing to the king and Killua's Grandad coming along. Exciting Arc ahead.

If you want to read digital versions, PM me, I might be able to send to you, or you can hop by www.stoptazmo.com to download.

Yo, do you read it online? Or do you get from the chuangyi versions?

He just resumed. :D :D :D very happy! Been 2 weeks so far. Chapter 244 and 245 so far. This is from 245 when they stormed the King's tower. Neterro versus Pitou, Pufu rushing to the king and Killua's Grandad coming along. Exciting Arc ahead.

If you want to read digital versions, PM me, I might be able to send to you, or you can hop by www.stoptazmo.com to download.

Argh don't tell me the story yet!!! Don't want spoiler :))

I usually read it in 'Tian Di' rental shop, The last one I read is when the King is playing japanese chess(sp?) with the blind girl(don't tell me the fate of the blind girl! lol)

Will pm you my email. :)

Back to the coloring, do you use Wacom tablet to do it?

Nope, I am only using a mouse. would love to try with a tablet in the near future. I'm not rich, can't afford.

As I mentioned. I use Layer Mask, a function in Photoshop.

You select a area you want to be affected. Then whatever you do outside that area cannot be seen. So effectively, I will select by coloring Morau's hair for example, then I can do other layer options like Multiply and Screen using the Layer Mask to put in the Shadows and Highlights.

I want to say that anyone can do it. I am a business student, not design. Learnt all these by the tutorials I provided and others in DeviantArt(DA for short). Do give it a try. Sure you'll discover a second childhood in coloring.

I think learning these skills will also be useful in photography, in correcting lighting mistakes or making improvements. On a sidenote, was at SengKang Library yesterday to study. But end up being distracted with "Cheat in Photoshop CS3". A really good book! There's 4 available there. Do take a look.

Cheers.

Nope, I am only using a mouse. would love to try with a tablet in the near future. I'm not rich, can't afford.

As I mentioned. I use Layer Mask, a function in Photoshop.

You select a area you want to be affected. Then whatever you do outside that area cannot be seen. So effectively, I will select by coloring Morau's hair for example, then I can do other layer options like Multiply and Screen using the Layer Mask to put in the Shadows and Highlights.

I want to say that anyone can do it. I am a business student, not design. Learnt all these by the tutorials I provided and others in DeviantArt(DA for short). Do give it a try. Sure you'll discover a second childhood in coloring.

I think learning these skills will also be useful in photography, in correcting lighting mistakes or making improvements. On a sidenote, was at SengKang Library yesterday to study. But end up being distracted with "Cheat in Photoshop CS3". A really good book! There's 4 available there. Do take a look.

Cheers.

Thanks for your generous sharing! By the way, a small tablet isn't that expensive. Should be able to get it for about $200? But that's the smallest size 1. My friend bought the larger 1 from Wacom. Not sure about the dimensions and price though.

Yo SolBadGuy,

No la, I'm barely 20. It's not about getting things as and when I want to, but whether it's effective or not for me, and whether it'll be able to pay back for itself(meaning I get design jobs to cover this cost). No point getting it if it's for non-commercial work, to me personally, it's wasting money!

I'm freelancing as a designer and photographer, so if there ever comes an opportunity for me to procure a deal that I will need a tablet, then I will get it. haha.

Complicated right, my silly thinking.

Yo SolBadGuy,

No la, I'm barely 20. It's not about getting things as and when I want to, but whether it's effective or not for me, and whether it'll be able to pay back for itself(meaning I get design jobs to cover this cost). No point getting it if it's for non-commercial work, to me personally, it's wasting money!

I'm freelancing as a designer and photographer, so if there ever comes an opportunity for me to procure a deal that I will need a tablet, then I will get it. haha.

Complicated right, my silly thinking.

Well, if you're freelancing as a designer, especially if you're doing freehand art/design, then all the more you should get a tablet! My friend's a design student, not even doing it professionally yet. But then again, to each his own. It's actually due more to your priority. What you want; what you're willing to spend on. :)

Update No. 4:

Killua's done, and tinkering with the background already.

huntercoloring4jj8.jpg

With experimental toning:

huntercoloring4tu8.jpg

wow. great job there! what did you do for your toning? it looks really nice. issit just adding layers with different blending options or you used stuff from the adjustment options? hear from you soon bro.

wow. great job there! what did you do for your toning? it looks really nice. issit just adding layers with different blending options or you used stuff from the adjustment options? hear from you soon bro.

This is a super long step list, will try to type it out...

Duplicate Layer.
Hue/Saturation with Colorize (H: 45, S: 25, L: 0)

Change Layer Mode to Multiply

Flatten

Duplicate layer

Change Layer Mode to Screen

Flatten

Duplicate layer, set to Screen (yes, again)

Adjust. If you want it to be brighter, opacity is 100% if not, 0%.

Done!

Update No5:

This one took longer. A bit of the background information. The chameleon man on the guy's back is super weak in combat but he has a skill called God's Accomplice. Whenever he holds his breath, he wipes off his presence, meaning more invisible than invisible. Lol. If he touches someone and holds his breath, the person becomes invisible too. Therefore, now, these 2 people have a special aura around them making invisible. They are trying to infiltrate the King's palace.

huntercoloring5uj7.jpg

You mean its just paint one tone of colour then do these steps to get the different gradations? I thought you changed opacity selectively with layer mask or used different colours to airbrush in....

This is a super long step list, will try to type it out...

Duplicate Layer.
Hue/Saturation with Colorize (H: 45, S: 25, L: 0)

Change Layer Mode to Multiply

Flatten

Duplicate layer

Change Layer Mode to Screen

Flatten

Duplicate layer, set to Screen (yes, again)

Adjust. If you want it to be brighter, opacity is 100% if not, 0%.

Done!

Nope, first I have to do a single color on the layer. The I use Dodge/Burn or Multiply/Screen to get the graduations in toning.

Then thereafter, to improve the overall effect of the picture, I do that series of steps again.

Can understand? haha

Good progress!

Hmm, so basically you still need to brush in manually the light and dark areas to get the differences in tone.

I just find it a bit confusing that you use screen and multiply if its on a single tone image - you won't get any difference....

Hmm, maybe we need a step by step tutorial from you with screenshots hehe :) I know that I'm confused, but I like your end result.

Nope, first I have to do a single color on the layer. The I use Dodge/Burn or Multiply/Screen to get the graduations in toning.

Then thereafter, to improve the overall effect of the picture, I do that series of steps again.

Can understand? haha

ill share my image later... ill try to look for it.. ive tried this before...

Well, if you're freelancing as a designer, especially if you're doing freehand art/design, then all the more you should get a tablet! My friend's a design student, not even doing it professionally yet. But then again, to each his own. It's actually due more to your priority. What you want; what you're willing to spend on. :)

Not true. Depends on what design job you're doing.
It's the painter, not the tablet :)

TS, it'll be good if u tone down the colours. Mind if I take the image and do some colouring on it? Will post it up later.

In the design industry, if you're going for character designer/comic artist/concept artist etc, being able to draw/paint alone won't get you anywhere. You need to do both, and be good at it. :)

I'm lazy to paint today.. but you'll get the idea. :)
Tablet used, but that was just for convenience.
There are alot more friends who paint alot better than me. One of them can even draw and paint using only a mouse.

Not true. Depends on what design job you're doing.
It's the painter, not the tablet :)

yeah i agree with u. i used to know a japanese artist who can draw and paint with just a ball mouse as well, n he's really fast! the work he can do with illustrator. :bigeyes::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.