Manchester United IX - Quest for Treble Glory Continues....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferdinand could miss Inter

Rio Ferdinand limped out of United’s FA Cup win over Fulham on Saturday and now faces a race against time to be fit for Internazionale’s visit to Old Trafford on Wednesday.

Ferdinand appeared to roll his ankle as he pursued Fulham forward Bobby Zamora shortly before half-time. The England defender played on but failed to emerge for the second half.

“Rio’s a bit of a concern,” Sir Alex told MUTV. “He’s gone over on his ankle and we just have to wait and see how he is now.

“I just hope he makes Wednesday because he’s such an important player to us.”

John O’Shea also picked up a knock on Saturday at Craven Cottage. After making way for Richard Eckersley, O’Shea appeared to hobble off down the tunnel clutching his hamstring.

If O’Shea is ruled out of Wednesday’s Champions League Last 16 second leg, Sir Alex may be forced to deploy Darren Fletcher at right-back; Gary Neville, Wes Brown and Rafael da Silva are all nursing injuries.

Wayne Rooney was also substituted on Saturday but Sir Alex confirmed that was purely a precautionary measure. The striker has just returned from a hamstring injury and the manager didn't want to take any chances.

"We need Wayne for Wednesday against Inter Milan," he said.

Looks like Man Utd must stay injury free in order to sweep this seaon. Aside from injury there is fatigue.

I am jus looking at one game at a time :bsmilie:

Looks like Man Utd must stay injury free in order to sweep this seaon. Aside from injury there is fatigue.

Actually more worried about injuries not so worry about fatigue as we got enough depth to cover!:devil:

Yeah, to win a clean sweep, need to stay injury free and some luck. Fatigue is a concern, esp Ronaldo look really tired in the extra time of the League Cup final but I think he should be alright for the next 2 games as Fergie rested him last weekend.

Some gossip:

Manchester United trio Carlos Tevez, Ji-Sung Park and Patrice Evra have become best mates, to the bemusement of the rest of the players. Darren Fletcher said of the Argentine, the South Korean and the Frenchman: "What language do they speak? They walk around together, they banter with each other. I don't know how it works." (Daily Star)

Manchester United trio Carlos Tevez, Ji-Sung Park and Patrice Evra have become best mates, to the bemusement of the rest of the players. Darren Fletcher said of the Argentine, the South Korean and the Frenchman: "What language do they speak? They walk around together, they banter with each other. I don't know how it works." (Daily Star)

Languages cause no barrier. :bsmilie:

Yeah, to win a clean sweep, need to stay injury free and some luck. Fatigue is a concern, esp Ronaldo look really tired in the extra time of the League Cup final but I think he should be alright for the next 2 games as Fergie rested him last weekend.

Some gossip:

They speak English for a start. Otherwise they teach each other some jokes in their own native language :kiss:

Some gossip:

Easy la...language of soccer is universal!:bsmilie: they let their feet do the talking!:bsmilie:

They speak English for a start. Otherwise they teach each other some jokes in their own native language :kiss:

The F word is universal....I contantly hear soccer player F here F there...so many thing to F :sweatsm: So it's not difficult for 3 of them to F around :sweatsm:

The Man Utd Inter match is tonight or tomorrow?
Haven't check the telecast schedule yet.

The Man Utd Inter match is tonight or tomorrow?
Haven't check the telecast schedule yet.

SINGAPORE (Singapore)

Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:45:00 AM:devil:

Inter confident despite crocks

Internazionale captain Javier Zanetti says his team are ready for the "match of our lives" at Old Trafford on Wednesday night, even if they have to field a reshuffled back four against United.

The central defenders who started Saturday's Serie A 2-0 win away to Genoa, Nicolas Burdisso and Marco Materazzi, will not travel to Manchester after sustaining injuries during the first half. However, the first-choice pair of Cristian Chivu and Walter Samuel could yet return in their place, after missing the initial 0-0 draw with the Reds a fortnight ago.

"Samuel's recovery is more likely than Chivu's," said Zanetti, who'll back midfielder Esteban Cambiasso as a defensive stand-in if required. "Playing with Esteban is easy because he's a very tactical player."

Injuries apart, Zanetti felt Inter's weekend trip was perfect preparation for Wednesday night. "It was a great training session because Genoa play in a very similar way to Manchester (United)," he said.

"We will have to play the perfect match because at the moment this is the 'match of our lives' in the Champions League and we have to send a strong message to everyone.

"We won't be playing for a 0-0 draw because if you do that, Manchester will get a goal sooner or later. We'll have to stay in the match throughout and avoid leaving open spaces."

Zlatan Ibrahomivic played a big part in Inter becoming only the second team to win at Genoa in the league this season. The Swedish international chipped in the opening goal after just two minutes and set up Mario Balotelli for the second in the 61st minute. In between, Inter keeper Julio Cesar denied Genoa an equaliser by superbly saving Thiago Motta's header.:devil:

Ibra relishes Vidic test

Both defences stood strong in Milan two weeks ago, but Inter's forwards have a new obstacle standing in their way at Old Trafford: Nemanja Vidic.

Vida missed the last 16 first leg tie through suspension, but he returns on Wednesday to face Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Adriano.

Rio Ferdinand's ankle injury may have given them hope, but the Inter pair are aware that they will face another of Europe's best and most in-form defenders in Vidic.

"He's a great player, he's done very well so far this year," said Ibrahimovic. "I'm looking forward to taking on Vidic. It's no problem for me to play against the best because that's part of the challenge. Players look forward to big occasions. You have to enjoy them."

Like United, Inter's domestic form gives them plenty of confidence going into this European tie. Ibrahimovic was on target for Internazionale in a 2-0 win away to Genoa on Saturday, keeping a seven-point lead over second-placed Juventus in Serie A.

"We're very confident," said the 27-year-old Swede. "We want to win every game and we are going to Manchester to win. United are a good team so it will be very difficult.

"It'll be like a cup tie at Old Trafford. It's win or lose. We have to win or draw to go through, but I don't think that any team really plays for a draw. We'll have to see how it turns out."

:devil:

Papers: Inter spot-on

Ferguson: Inter will play for penalties
Sir Alex Ferguson has accused Internazionale of negativity ahead of Wednesday's Champions League game at Old Trafford and predicted that Jose Mourinho's side will play for penalties in the second-leg of their last-16 tie. Mourinho claimed before the two sides' initial meeting at the San Siro, which ended 0–0, that United would not be willing to meet Inter "eye to eye" and would change their usual approach. Now Ferguson has turned the tables. "Could he really have believed that we wouldn't attack at the San Siro?" Ferguson said in an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport. "Well, I'll tell you that at Old Trafford Inter will play for penalties. There is always that Italian mentality. They will look to suffocate the game and aim for 120 minutes of goalless football. But I'm not worried about anything. My players have shown they have what it takes when it comes to penalties. I hope it continues like that."
Evan Fanning, The Guardian

Meanwhile, Jose Mourinho has sought to spice up Wednesday's clash by saying he could take over as manager at Old Trafford when Sir Alex retires.

The Sun claims Rio Ferdinand has told friends he'll be fit to face Inter after a scan on his injured ankle revealed no serious damage. If he's fit, Rio will be up against Zlatan Ibrahimovic who fired Inter's opening goal and set up their second in a 2-0 win over Genoa. Afterwards he told reporters that Inter are "going to Old Trafford to win."

In other news, Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly signed up the fastest man on Earth to help boost his deadly pace. Olympic 100m champ Usain Bolt is planning a trip to Manchester for a training session with the winger. Former Red Phil Neville insists Everton can win the FA Cup the hard way by beating United in the semi-finals. Ex-United striker Louis Saha booked the Toffees' place in the last four against Sir Alex's men.

Two transfer rumours from the weekend, both in the Mail, link the Reds with Italy. Firstly, the paper claims Udinese are braced for a renewed approach from United for Alexis Sanchez. Sir Alex Ferguson has long tracked the forward dubbed 'Chile's answer to Cristiano Ronaldo' and may be forced into a summer move for the 20-year-old as a number of European clubs are preparing to make bids." Also, the Mail states: "AC Milan are lining up a £20m bid to snatch centre-back Nemanja Vidic. It is being claimed in Italy that the Serbia defender has already made a secret visit to the city where he had dinner with Rossoneri legend Paolo Maldini. That meeting is alleged to have taken place just days before United played Inter in the first leg of their European clash last month. Sir Alex's mood is unlikely to be improved by interest in another centre-half, 21-year-old Jonny Evans, who could cost up to £10m. Milan are keen on the Irishman, while Real Madrid also see him as a possible successor to Fabio Cannavaro."

:devil:

Mind Wars!:bsmilie:

So it's tomorrow night.
Then tonight can sleep early already. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: I always sleep early cos sure win!:cool::devil:

Vidic and Evans will stay at Man Utd as long as Fergie is in charge.
Unless they do another Jaap Stam stunt. :bsmilie:

Vidic and Evans will stay at Man Utd as long as Fergie is in charge.
Unless they do another Jaap Stam stunt. :bsmilie:

They wont cos they are not Jaap Stam. Jaap Stam couldnt fit into the EPL game so he jump ship! But these two fitted in nicely so wont think they do a Jaap Stam!:bsmilie:

Vidic and J Evans will stay in Man Utd. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.