Man Utd XVI: Quest of the Title - Return to winning way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lost is a lost....Leceister did not sits still so I would say they earned their victory....As for MU....It's a lesson learn for the lad...this is EPL and you can't play like a women...especially Tylette...he reminds me of Sol Camber....I expect him to be as solid...and Raphael being one of the more experience one...he should have done better....hopefully they learned quickly from this and move on...
I don't think Raphael did anything to make the clown fall like that. That guy was looking for it.

Van Gaal: We gave it away

Louis van Gaal says Manchester United threw three points away after seeing his side slip to a 5-3 defeat by Leicester City.

The Reds twice led by two goals, but an astonishing fightback by the Foxes in the second half condemned United to a scarcely-believable defeat.

“You never expect that when you're 3-1 ahead and you are two goals ahead for the second time,” van Gaal declared. “You have to kill the game and keep possession but we could not do that. We gave it away with penalties, and you cannot win a game when you do that.

“I think we created a lot of chances and we made superb goals. But a game lasts 90 minutes and you have to do that for 90 minutes, not 60 minutes.”

The game turned when referee Mark Clattenburg awarded a penalty against Rafael for tangling with Jamie Vardy inside the area. And although the Brazilian appeared to be fouled by the Leicester forward in the build-up, van Gaal refused to criticise the penalty decision.

“At that time it was still 3-2, there was not a problem. You can kill the game, you can keep possession, and we kept possession in the first 10 minutes and made a beautiful goal. But then you have to kill the game and we didn't do that, so you can never say 'It's not a penalty'."

Agree with the boss?

that first penalty is a joke la.
clear push before that.
10s of millions lost because of the ref. In columbia, he'll be a target already.

Van Gaal: We gave it away

Louis van Gaal says Manchester United threw three points away after seeing his side slip to a 5-3 defeat by Leicester City.

The Reds twice led by two goals, but an astonishing fightback by the Foxes in the second half condemned United to a scarcely-believable defeat.

“You never expect that when you're 3-1 ahead and you are two goals ahead for the second time,” van Gaal declared. “You have to kill the game and keep possession but we could not do that. We gave it away with penalties, and you cannot win a game when you do that.

“I think we created a lot of chances and we made superb goals. But a game lasts 90 minutes and you have to do that for 90 minutes, not 60 minutes.”

The game turned when referee Mark Clattenburg awarded a penalty against Rafael for tangling with Jamie Vardy inside the area. And although the Brazilian appeared to be fouled by the Leicester forward in the build-up, van Gaal refused to criticise the penalty decision.

“At that time it was still 3-2, there was not a problem. You can kill the game, you can keep possession, and we kept possession in the first 10 minutes and made a beautiful goal. But then you have to kill the game and we didn't do that, so you can never say 'It's not a penalty'."

Agree with the boss?
agree, but he was quite naive in taking out falcao and dimaria when they need to score.
and he keeps playing smalling.
he is fast becoming a david moyes in my book.

if it was Fergie, he would have stomped the ground and yelled at Clattenberg after the first penalty and rouse up the team.
LVG? just sat there like a statue and then in the press, says nothing about the ridiculous refereeing. Weak.

he bought 150mil of players and expect them to know what to do? Then why is he hired? so he could doodle on his drawing board during games?
every manager worth their salt hits the ground when something is not right.

even we know what's wrong with the team, do we need him to tell us in the press?

Last edited:
long season ahead....still plenty of twists in the plot for the EPL title, i imagine :)

agree, but he was quite naive in taking out falcao and dimaria when they need to score.
and he keeps playing smalling.
he is fast becoming a david moyes in my book.

if it was Fergie, he would have stomped the ground and yelled at Clattenberg after the first penalty and rouse up the team.
LVG? just sat there like a statue and then in the press, says nothing about the ridiculous refereeing. Weak.

he bought 150mil of players and expect them to know what to do? Then why is he hired? so he could doodle on his drawing board during games?
every manager worth their salt hits the ground when something is not right.

even we know what's wrong with the team, do we need him to tell us in the press?

I think it is either he not aggressive or he is holding back ...

long season ahead....still plenty of twists in the plot for the EPL title, i imagine :)

More like Un-imaginable ba ... just like last night the rugby scoreline needed to beat a championship team ... looks like this season is full of surprise ...by the non-top usual 5 teams ..

Great news! Smalling injured thigh!

Bad News! Fellani desperate to impress LVG!

Last edited:
Great news! Smalling injured thigh!

Bad News! Fellani desperate to impress LVG!

Y is Fellani is still around thought he is being sold off liao? Thats really bad news!?!?

Last edited:
Van Gaal: There is no need to panic

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal insists there is no need to panic following Sunday's 5-3 defeat to Leicester City, a result that has left the Reds with just five points from as many matches in the Barclays Premier League.

Since taking over at Old Trafford in early July, van Gaal has repeatedly called for patience among the club’s supporters as the players acclimatise to his new ideas and philosophies, a learning process the Dutchman believes will take at least three months to complete.

While things appeared to click into place during the recent 4-0 win over QPR, all momentum gained was slowed by a topsy-turvy defeat at the King Power Stadium. But when asked for his reaction to events in Leicester, the manager was typically measured.

“I don't think the players have [seen a different side to me this week],” the boss told reporters at the Aon Training Complex. “I don't think my players are robots - they are human beings and human beings make errors. I am also a manager who always wants to evaluate and discuss things. That's the way I do things. I have done it, this week is no different.

“It's happened, it's about overcoming things. It’s not a regular occurrence - when you see our figures in the Premier League, apart from this [Leicester] match, then we are defending well. The average is conceding less than one goal I think and we have scored a lot of goals. I think we are fifth or sixth [in this situation]. I see it differently to a lot of journalists.”

Van Gaal also concedes it has been occasionally trying to manage United but insists his team are not far away from climbing the table, pointing to the fickle nature of football that has seen media portrayals of him change over recent weeks.

“At this moment this is maybe my toughest job but we have to see in a year,” he told the assembled media. “We cannot say it about one week with the injuries. As a manager you know already in advance that it's a big challenge. This club is in a transition. What you don't know in advance is what the hard moments will be.

“At the start we won all of our games but now we are in difficult circumstances. We should have won last weekend - we had to win when we were 3-1 up. If we had we would have been two points off second place.

"But because of the loss you are now questioning me. If we won then it would have been different. We will overcome things - the season lasts a long time.”

Staying calm

ITs tomorrow
UNITED V WEST HAM
27 September, 2014 10:00:00 pm

3pts please!

Preview: United vs West Ham

Manchester United are seeking a swift recovery in the Barclays Premier League this Saturday (kick-off 15:00 BST) as West Ham come to Old Trafford.

After suffering a shock 5-3 defeat to Leicester City, Louis van Gaal will want his team to tighten up in defence and ensure that the flow of goals at the other end yields the result it merits. The Reds' record signing Angel Di Maria has already made a big contribution to the attack, marking a fine start to life in England with a maiden strike against QPR and that exquisite chip against Leicester City last time out.

Team News: Chris Smalling reported "stiff legs" in training and is sidelined with Jonny Evans who suffered a bruised bone at Leicester. Tyler Blackett is suspended after being sent off while Phil Jones, Michael Carrick, Ashley Young, Sam Johnstone, Jesse Lingard, James Wilson and Reece James all remain on the injured list. West Ham midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate is out for six weeks with a groin problem, and Andy Carroll, Joey O'Brien and captain Kevin Nolan remain unavailable.

The Opposition: West Ham have made a fine start to 2014/15 and currently sit in eighth place after their 3-1 win over Liverpool last weekend. Hammers boss Sam Allardyce will hope the confidence gained from that result could prove the catalyst for another surprise win as his side aim to build on their solid opening month. The East London outfit did some good transfer business during the summer, including two loan deals to bring in Alex Song from Barcelona and Arsenal defender Carl Jenkinson. In addition, permanent arrivals such as Enner Valencia and Diafro Sakho have both settled in well - the latter, signed from French club Metz, has scored three goals including an audacious chip against Liverpool. Both will be a threat to the United rearguard, as will the in-form Stewart Downing.

West Ham’s last XI: Adrian; Demel, Tomkins, Reid, Cresswell; Kouyate, Noble, Song, Downing; Sakho, Valencia.

Betting: Despite the disappointment at Leicester, the club’s official betting partner bwin have the Reds priced as firm favourites for this match at 1.36 with the draw at 5.00 and a win for visitors at 7.25. Whatever the result, fans could be in for another high-scoring affair, so why not take a punt on there being over five goals in this game priced at 3.80?

Last Meeting: United visited the Hammers in a March 2014 fixture most memorable for Wayne Rooney’s stunning 60-yard effort to open the scoring. Among the impressed spectators was a man who netted a similar goal at Wimbledon's ground 18 years previously, David Beckham. Rooney hit the target again in the first half to seal a 2-0 win.

Match Officials: Bolton-born Lee Mason will referee a United match for the first time since the afore-mentioned match against the same opponents. His assistants will be A Garratt and I Hussin with Mike Dean serving as fourth official.

Match Preview

Smalling added to injury list

Manchester United's options in central defence for Saturday have been further reduced after confirmation that Chris Smalling was unable to complete yesterday's (Wednesday's) training session.

The England centre-back joins Phil Jones and Jonny Evans on the injured players list, while Tyler Blackett is also rendered unavailable by his red card in last weekend's defeat to Leicester City.

"Smalling came out of yesterday's training session because he had stiff legs," reported van Gaal at his pre-match press conference. "I won't take risks with players - they have to be fit. Jonny Evans' bone is bruised a lot and we have to wait and see how it goes. I have nine injuries now and one player suspended with Blackett. All three of my right-sided centre-halves are out, so I will have to go to the youth education [system] and pick players from there."

Candidates who could step up to fill the void at centre-back include Under-21 captain Tom Thorpe, who spent time on loan at Birmingham City last season - only to ironically have the spell cut short by injury. Van Gaal did not name names, but he did reiterate: "There are vacancies. The younger players can have their chance.

"The young players are always ready. They are hungry to play the game. United's youth education has a level that can provide that. There's a big difference between youth games and the Premier League but in one game you can show [prove] yourself."

Defence wipe out!

Hoseh liao, machiam like having the best body armour and weaponry equipped at the anterior side but the arse is bare naked for others to freely poke. Might as well send everybody forward including the goalie seeing how it doesn't really make any bloody difference. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
central defence a big gap.

this will be a watershed game.

Last edited:
United team to face West Ham (15:00 BST): De Gea, Rafael, McNair, Rojo, Shaw, Blind, Herrera, Di Maria, Rooney, van Persie, Falcao .

Status
Not open for further replies.