Major changes in land transport!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see what they can come up with loh...as long as the cost of implementation don't pass down to commuters, and service quality improves, I'm all for it!

Bro yanyewkay, was this statement actually being announced? Hhhmmm, I wonder how it can be made possible? Jurong to Changi can make it in 45 mins. via public transport?

20min can liao!!

MM Lee said so...

Yew told the minister that the land acquisition procedure for any developmental project is completed within two months and claims are taken in subsequent phases. “Congestion taxes on vehicles plying on busy roads are a routine course of action in Singapore. The maximum time to reach any corner of Singapore is 20 minutes as traffic is not allowed to flood the roads,” he added.

http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2007/11/mm-lee-tells-mu.html

The biggest fact remains.... higher fares for public transport and many more ERPs and higher charges....but people jam and traffic jam remains. :angry:

today i took an smrt bus, 963 from woodlands to bukit panjang

realized the exit scan wasnt working, error all the time. Alighting passengers
all had error.

The bus driver stood up with some authority, citing there's technical fault
with the scanner.

I prompted a reply, "Isn't that gonna deduct the full fare?"

Bus driver: "those alighting should make a refund with the smrt HQ"

all the alighting passengers lan lan, got down.

Firstly the driver didnt inform passengers when they board the bus, if there's a technical fault. They rather allow people to have full fare deducted then informing them to either
pay cash or wait for next bus.

Secondly, i felt inconvenienced coz any refund/appropriate deduction had to be made at the smrt HQ....who know's where's that. I doubt anybody would wanna travel down to refund 50cents or so.

I don't exactly blame the bus driver, as it might have slipped his mind, and it's just his job to drive the bus. Im more peeved at the requirement to get the fare adjusted at HQ, and not at any bus interchange or mrt station. Somehow this experience left a bad taste. :thumbsd:

more bus lanes??? As a driver, I think it is REALLY STUPID as it just causes whatever road it is to JAM real bad.
I think that is their point... to encourage people to take bus instead of driving... and to make bus travel faster...

I think for trains, if the size of the tunnels allow it, they should look at double decker trains like the ones in Sydney... increases the number of passengers a train system can carry, seated or standing, without increasing train frequency or length...

I think the tender system will backfire... the bus companies are gonna blame fare increases on the fact that they have to bid higher for lucrative routes (remember cable TV/Premier League pricing?)... guess who's gonna pay the tab... should just have an allocation system to give out lucrative routes, paired with the giving out of non-lucrative routes, to the bus companies in as fair a manner as possible... not possible to be perfectly fair, but at least the bus companies will not have the excuse to increase bus fares as a result of the exercise...

and while they are at it, they should look at whether there should be a taxi operating giant amongst the much smaller players...

don't hold your breath.
so far say only.
do is another matter altogether.

CTE!!!!

Please make the CTE 2-tier like the AYE (Keppel) so that the trafic jams are reduced. Ya ya.. its more expensive than putting up another ERP gantry.. but isn't this call public service???

I second that emotion !!!:)
2-tier CTE or build a NS Expressway so that I do not have to pass 3 gantries to reach work !

“Congestion taxes on vehicles plying on busy roads are a routine course of action in Singapore. The maximum time to reach any corner of Singapore is 20 minutes as traffic is not allowed to flood the roads,”

No what.
He only said 20 minutes to reach any corner.
He did not say start from where.

If start from Peninsula Shopping Centre to go to Hill Street Fire Station, then of course 20 minutes is possible.

Haiz... big motherhood statements again.

We only ask to 2 things for public transportation.

1. Affordable (as in affordable even to the lowest 10% earners)
2. Pleasant (as in comfortable and quick)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The only way to avoid traffic jam is to tele-commute..

Hopefully, no internet BW jam.. else EiP on internet usage too. :sweat:

what kind of improvements do we need? So we need more LCD panels? TV on buses? Those bus stage auto sensing equipment so the driver do not need to update the fare stage manually? Come on.. After large amounts of money are spent on these, they will raise the fares again and said "because we bought new buses to replace the older ones.." :rolleyes:

There's a lot of room for low-tech improvements. E.g.,

- have one advertisement less on bus stops and use the space for a city map (with index to ALL roads, not just the ones with bus stops!) with the bus routes drawn in - this makes it so much easier to find several alternative bus routes near a certain destination. This works very well for other big cities.

- make the bus numbering scheme more systematic so that one can deduce from a number the regions the bus line is serving.

- stratify the bus routes so that they don't detour from the shortest route from A to B (buses here tend to be painfully slow). Rather have bus lines interconnect into a dense mesh so that one can find an efficient route from any point A to any point B without changing buses more than 2 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.