[macVince] Bit by Bit; Week by Week APAW 2015

A Classic Indeed!

#21 (20Feb15) A Classic : The BMW Isetta 250
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

The first time I saw this car was in the 1960's on the streets of Singapore. There weren't too many though; but I was intrigued by it when I was a boy. Not only it looked cute; but also to see the (only) door opening in front and with the steering wheel moving in tandem with it. It made the car very interesting to behold; seeing the driver or passenger alighting or getting into it unconventionally. I have not seen this car for decades until two weeks ago when I visited the BMW Welt (Showroom) and BMW Museum in Munich, Germany. There was a blue & white one displayed in the Welt and this green one (photo), with a basket mounted behind, inside the museum. The Isetta was made in 1955.

I was so excited when, half an hour before closing time, this little car was spotted being driven around the spacious showroom providing joy-rides to visitors. Many children had a wonderful time riding in it; their faces and grins showed. My wife took a ride in it too while I was busy photographing and taking videos as it was driven across the showroom from end to end. The ISETTA is indeed a classic. I did not read or research into its engine specs but I think it is powered by a 250 cc "motorcycle" two-stroke engine; it sounded like one as it "tooted" past. It is not easy to find an Isetta on the road nowadays, if ever there was one still plying the streets. The new and slick BMW models on display attracted most visitors' attention but none quite like the Isetta. It was so good to see one actually being driven around.

Last edited:
HAPPY CHINESE (LUNAR) NEW YEAR

Wishing Chinese friends here a Happy, Healthy & Fruitful Chinese New Year. Happy Holidays to all; enjoy the long weekend (if you have it in your respective country).
:)

Happy New Year!!! :)

A Classic Indeed!

#21 (20Feb15) A Classic : The BMW Isetta 250[/URL] by mac.Vince, on Flickr

Wow.. So cute. Look like the typical cars in Japanese Manga "Dragon Ball Z" by Akira Toriyama. Now I knew where his inspiration came from.

Sweet Music | Music and Sweets

Happy Lunar New Year as we enter the 3rd day of much feasting, visitation and catching up with friends and relatives we don't meet up with often. I trust they are all sweet experiences during this period of celebration.

In Austria, Mozart goes beyond his music to sweeten the experience for tourists and visitors. Besides these, there are every imaginable type of souvenirs available.

#22 (21Feb15) In Austria, Mozart sweetens his music with these and more...
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

There is a shop, along the narrow pedestrian street (Getreidegasse in Salzburg) where Mozart's birthplace is, towards the end near the old church with a beautiful clock clearly visible. There, you will find the (renowned) chocolate balls - all passionately handmade to exacting standards - in many different packagings to delight every kind of tourists coming from all parts of the world. An example of these chocolate balls are those in the box on the left. Trust me, they taste good; but so sorry, I didn't bring home enough to share with you as they are quite costly. One could also buy them singly in the shop to sample; they cost more than an euro each.

PS: This photo is taken in my home, not when I was in Austria.

Happy New Year!!! :)

Wow.. So cute. Look like the typical cars in Japanese Manga "Dragon Ball Z" by Akira Toriyama. Now I knew where his inspiration came from.

Happy New Year to you & your loved ones Itsee.

The Isetta is very cute indeed! That's why I bought one. But I bought one from the BMW souvenir shop that is not made by BMW. One about this size that's made by BMW or its vendor costs about 150 euros which is too expensive for me.

:cool:

VSSC-IsettaToy2.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet Music | Music & Sweets (Cont'd from #22)

Sometimes, I just want to be able to hold some printed photos in hand rather than just see them on screen. I like my small printer. I can print whenever I like in the comfort of home, directly via WiFi from a smartphone or tablet (AirPrint as it is called), from an SD Card or USB thumb drive plugged into the printer. For prints that I want to carry in my wallet or bag, I can print 2 or 4 photos in one postcard size print and cut them to size. The photos are reasonably sharp and the colours are natural and nice. Printing is fast and fuzz-free; that's what I like most, and they come out dry to touch.

Come to think of it, I'm still old-fashioned, preferring a photo print at times. It connects me back to days when all of my fond memories were on printed photos. Back to the good ol' days, you might say.

#23 (22Feb15) To Hold and Behold
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

ah!! The mozart's liquor and chocs! I forget if I ever drank them. They look so pretty wrapped up, I don't think I opened them.

ah!! The mozart's liquor and chocs! I forget if I ever drank them. They look so pretty wrapped up, I don't think I opened them.

Most people, I guess, would keep the bottles as they were without opening to drink. I did drink, but not neat on ice though. I put two tablespoonful into expresso coffee and it tasted very nice. Chocolatey-Coffee with a tinge of mild liquor taste. Very nice! The wrapping is intact; can still display. :thumbsup: :)

Last edited:
Flower Shop

I like to go into a flower shop, a conservatory or a garden with blooming flowers. It is that freshness and pleasant smell which make them special.

#24 (02Mar15) Flower Shop
by mac.Vince, on Flickr [iPhone 6 Pano Mode]

PS: I did ask the shopkeeper for permission to take a photo.

Last edited:
Flower Shop

I like to go into a flower shop, a conservatory or a garden with blooming flowers. It is that freshness and pleasant smell which make them special.

#24 (02Mar15) Flower Shop
by mac.Vince, on Flickr [iPhone 6 Pano Mode]

PS: I did ask the shopkeeper for permission to take a photo.

I can smell that shop in my mind's eye! :cool:

Great post and good snap bro! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I can smell that shop in my mind's eye! :cool: Great post and good snap bro! :thumbsup:

Thanks once again for following my APAW travelogue. Post more now that you have your D7k :)

Last edited:
Ludwig van Beethoven

I was privileged to have the opportunity to gain some knowledge and insight into the life of one of the greatest musicians, Ludwig van Beethoven. I visited the apartment where he lived; had the view of the 650 year old University of Vienna from his apartment window, and view the exhibits of some of his carefully preserved photographs, belongings, musical instruments, handwritten letters and music scores and manuscripts, etc. I listened to one or two of his pieces at one of his writing desks (a headphone was provided). The Universitat Wien (University of Vienna) celebrates its 650th anniversary on 12th March, 2015. It was founded by Duke Rudolph IV in 1365.

I was also privileged to have the opportunity to visit the resting place of Beethoven, Frank Schubert, Johann Strauss, Brahms and more, together with a memorial of Mozart all within the same plot for great musicians in a very large cemetery built for prominent people of Austria. A special plot was assigned for great musicians. I spoke with an older man from Zurich who was visiting. I asked him about Mozart and he said Mozart's body was not found at the time when the cemetery was built and the great musicians were re-buried there. In Salzburg, at Mozart's residence I visited, a video showed his simple funeral procession from the church at Stephanplatz.

What struck me most in these visits is Beethoven lived in such a modest apartment and his resting place was just as plain and simple. Folks still come and place flowers and small notes at the graves. Great men with great gifts for music will always be remembered for their great works and most, like Beethoven, lived difficult lives; at times, closer to poverty. I for one, appreciate some of Beethoven's piano sonatas very much even though my knowledge of classical music is limited.

#24a (07Mar15) Beethoven - Apartment Block where he lived by mac.Vince, on Flickr

#24b (07Mar15) Beethoven - View of the University of Vienna from his apartment window
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

#24c (07Mar15) Beethoven - His Resting Place among other great musicians of his time
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

Last edited:
A Classic Indeed!

#21 (20Feb15) A Classic : The BMW Isetta 250
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

The first time I saw this car was in the 1960's on the streets of Singapore. There weren't too many though; but I was intrigued by it when I was a boy. Not only it looked cute; but also to see the (only) door opening in front and with the steering wheel moving in tandem with it. It made the car very interesting to behold; seeing the driver or passenger alighting or getting into it unconventionally. I have not seen this car for decades until two weeks ago when I visited the BMW Welt (Showroom) and BMW Museum in Munich, Germany. There was a blue & white one displayed in the Welt and this green one (photo), with a basket mounted behind, inside the museum. The Isetta was made in 1955.

I was so excited when, half an hour before closing time, this little car was spotted being driven around the spacious showroom providing joy-rides to visitors. Many children had a wonderful time riding in it; their faces and grins showed. My wife took a ride in it too while I was busy photographing and taking videos as it was driven across the showroom from end to end. The ISETTA is indeed a classic. I did not read or research into its engine specs but I think it is powered by a 250 cc "motorcycle" two-stroke engine; it sounded like one as it "tooted" past. It is not easy to find an Isetta on the road nowadays, if ever there was one still plying the streets. The new and slick BMW models on display attracted most visitors' attention but none quite like the Isetta. It was so good to see one actually being driven around.

This is so cute, with a picnic case!

Close to the Edge
(Glacier at Mount Cook area, South Island, New Zealand)

The first three photos were scanned from APS Format Film photographs. The scanned photos were left unedited, scanning was done using an old 2004 (Macintosh) eMac with an old Canon LIDE scanner. Everything is old, keeping the fun of having some Nostalgia. The eMac was purchased after my Strawberry coloured iMac (2nd Gen) had a CRT failure after 3 to 4 years. I like using one of my old Macs once in a while; taking it slow and enjoying old OS and old applications.

The photos were taken during one of my New Zealand trips. No DSLR; no digital compact camera; just a simple Canon IXUS APS film camera. Staying at the Mount Cook foothill log cabin with my family and another family of my in-laws, we awoke early and travelled a short distance from the cabin to the Glacier lake area. There we walked 20 mins on hard ground to the lake / river bank and mounted the raft. It is quite a sight to be close to the edge of the glacier.

#26a (22Mar15) Close to the Edge
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

#26b (22Mar15) Close to the Edge
by mac.Vince, on Flickr
(It was a hazardous ride. In passing through these two blocks of glaciers, a very large chunk broke free and came crashing down as we passed, narrowly missing us by a few feet.)

#26c (22Mar15) Close to the Edge
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

#26d (22Mar15) My 2004 eMac, still going strong
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

In Memory of Mr. Lee Kuan Yew

#28 (23 March 2015) In Memory of Mr. Lee Kuan Yew
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

I remember the 1960's when Singapore was quite a different place from what is seen in this photo and more. We have lost a man whose vision and determination built a nation from very little to what it is today. But we must continue on to the tune of Majulah! Singapura.

Last edited:
#31 (01Apr15)

I have decided to give up photography completely from this day forward; whether DSLR, compact camera or smartphone photography. Thanks for viewing my photos to this date.

ddc4ddde03dde0e

Last edited:
Are you going to share what is next for you with us bro?