[macVince] Bit by Bit; Week by Week APAW 2015

macVince

Apr 14, 2010
SG
www.flickr.com
Bit By Bit, Week by Week, I hope to post a photo or two of some interest in this thread to join the others in the fun. I think APAW might be realistic for me; APAD will be too difficult to achieve.

#01 (01Jan15) - A Tourist's Snapshot
in SFO, USA by mac.Vince, on Flickr
(Re-posted from a closed thread to move it here)

#02 (06Jan15) - Bic Camera Store in Tenjin Shopping District, Fukuoka, Japan
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

#03 (06Jan15) - Wall Art in Melbourne, Australia
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

Last edited:
interesting perspective ;)

Never walked along that part of Golden Gate bridge. Missed my time there.

Never walked along that part of Golden Gate bridge. Missed my time there.

Thanks for dropping by. From this stretch, one can see the Golden Gate Bridge as well as Alcatraz. A favourite picnic area for many.

:cool:

#04 (07Jan15) - Moo Moo in New Zealand
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

This photograph - in true sense of what it is called - was taken in 2002 with a Canon IXUS APS film camera. The camera has 3 sizes of frames to choose from for each shot: Panoramic (P), High Definition (H) or Classic (C). I scanned this from a P-photo and intentionally left it un-edited except to label and put a frame around it.

Additional Note: I'd share with you how this photo came to be. My wife & I were driving past & saw many cattle further up on the hill on opposite side of the road. We stopped to enjoy the view. Being city-dwellers we were amazed by the sight & my wife started mooing at them. Suddenly, many of them started coming down towards the fence. We were surprised & afraid that they might decide to break down the fence and come over. Thankfully they didn't, so we snapped a few shots quickly and drove on. On hindsight, it was an interesting experience & I'm glad to have a few shots for remembrance.

Last edited:

Week 2-3 - Moo Moo in New Zealand
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

This photograph - in true sense of what it is called - was taken in 2002 with a Canon IXUS APS film camera. The camera has 3 sizes of frames to choose from for each shot: Panoramic (P), High Definition (H) or Classic (C). I scanned this from a P-photo and intentionally left it un-edited except to label and put a frame around it.

(By the way, I've decided to add the "Week X-X" ID to each photo I post in this thread. The 1st X is the week number of 2015 & the 2nd, the day of that week; thus 2-3 is Week 2, Wednesday.)

Excellent start macvince, I don't even know what's a panorama in 2002!

Excellent start macvince, I don't even know what's a panorama in 2002!

Thanks LP. Haha...you're very modest. I have been & am still enjoying the varied APAD photos from everyone in this sub-forum. Candid & interesting indeed!

$JuliusShrankTalk2.jpg
#05 (10Jan15)
Julius Schrank, a German News Photographer

I attended an interesting talk today at 10 Square @ Orchard Central: The Life and Journey of a News Photographer - Julius Schrank of World Press Photo. (Thanks to Clubsnap for the complimentary ticket & to Canon for organising.)

Note: "The Guitarist" photo I posted earlier in this slot is being moved to another day.

Last edited:

#06 (11Jan15) Tornado da Vinci / Souvenir Brown Paper Grocery Bag
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

This is a photo of my carefully kept souvenir for 26 years now. In 1988, I narrowly missed a tornado crossing the highway ahead of me when driving in pitch darkness from Kansas City to Wichita. I stopped in time just short of meeting it, and hid with other drivers in a hamburger restaurant basement till it passed by. The radio instructed all drivers to get out of their cars immediately. After it passed, driving out into the tail of the storm was bad; I stopped again and took shelter behind an 18-wheeler for a long time when he pulled over due to the storm's severity, with lightning striking on both sides of the car in pitch darkness outside. Thank God for His grace although I arrived 6 hours later than intended at my hotel in Wichita, with 110 mph (175 kmh) winds bending trees that lined the roads. It was midnight and I called my wife at home after calming down. As she picked up the phone with a warm hello, I said, "Hello dear, Vince here. I just changed my name to Tornado da Vinci."

Last edited:
I am surprised #4 stitched so well! No cow unstitched!

nice efforts providing the context of every image ;)

I am surprised #4 stitched so well! No cow unstitched!

It was taken with a film camera in APS panorama mode, a built-in feature. Point & Shoot type of a film compact camera. What I posted is a scanned, unedited picture directly from a printed photo. No stitching involved. Cool right?

Last edited:

#07 (13Jan15) Sea Lions
at Monterey, California by mac.Vince, on Flickr

These sea-lions are not restrained; they swim and rest freely as they like. There are many to be seen in the Monterey harbour area. If you search for "sea lions at Monterey CA" in YouTube, you can view interesting videos of them.

nice efforts providing the context of every image ;)

Thanks Keith. It is said that every picture tells a story; that's as true as can be. I also believe that a simple synopsis or brief notes can bring out the story more for the viewers to enjoy if the photographer say something about his own photo.

Last edited:
Thanks Keith. It is said that every picture tells a story; that's as true as can be. I also believe that a simple synopsis or brief notes can bring out the story more for the viewers to enjoy if the photographer say something about his own photo.

Agree ;)
Every image tells a story

Eversince I was a young boy, I often heard people talking about Japan being "The Land of the Rising Sun." I got to experience a few years ago the spectacular colours of the sky during a mid-year sunset at the Roof Garden of Kyoto Central Railway Station. Just moments before this photo was taken, the sky was completely red and glowing. I did manage to capture a few shots before and after this photo. It was simply beautiful!

#11 (19Jan15) Mid-Year Kyoto Sunset
by mac.Vince, on Flickr

Last edited: