Mac Vs Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I need some advice.

Some people (like my GP teacher) said that Mac is better than Win mainly because it doesnt crash that easily and it is much faster.

I wish to buy a laptop soon for U, so can anyone give me some advice ?

Thanks =)

Introduction

Well, I have just crossed over and I would like to share this review with anyone who is like me, a life long user of Windows who is familiar with most shortcuts, tips & general tricks around most of its major applications. The MacBook (whom I have named "Amadeus") was bought on 18 Jan, '07 @ Funan. Coupled with a wired MightyMouse, i brought it home and while in the cab, I already had the box open, removing the manual and starting to read it...

First Touch

Amadeus was cool to the touch and (dare i say it :embrass: ) it felt incredibly sleek and sensual, with the white polished surface promising so much, but in a understated and elegant way. Removing the white foam shell, i took it out of the white cloth like case and plugged the charger in, leaving it charge while i left it alone for the rest of the evening.

Initial Boot Up

Once I returned home from my evening plans, I eagerly flipped out the screen and took my first look of the Macbook in it's entirety. I started it with a soft quiet hum and the screen lit up with surprising gloss and clarity. I plugged in the MightyMouse and start to point the cursor one way and the other, tweaking the settings for the track pad, marvelling at the intelligence and thought behind the design. Using only the track pad, I am able to scroll using 2 fingers while using one finger will control the cursor. This makes it easy for anyone who reads long documents. In fact, one of the main grouse was the lack of a right-click but I was pleasantly surprised that it can be enabled so thats a non issue already.

Getting to know you...

As i earnestly started to delve into the settings and the ins & outs, I also started on my exploration of KeyNotes, which is one of the main reasons behind my purchase of Amadeus. It took awhile for me to get used to the interface and how it works but it didnt take that much of an effort. I found that I was able to chance my wallpaper every 5 secs or minute which is visually very refreshing. I do enjoy photography and Amadeus serves as an attractive platform for me to showcase the photos taken. In a dark room, while I shut the screen to put Amadeus to sleep, I actually realise that the white indicator light actually pulsates very slowly, not unlike the cadence of someone who is breathing. Widgets and stickies are also great to keep things organised and your own self reminded of tasks that need to be done. Expose which is a interface program allows hot keys to be designated for various tasks, such as revealing the desktop, cascading all open windows to thumbnails so that you are able to see what you have open. This is all done very stylishly, bringing the term eye candy to a whole new level.

Battery life is also impressive. Coupled with the M1 Broadband USB Modem, I had Amadeus running for the better part of the afternoon, for abt 4 hrs while i played around with KeyNotes, putting together a presentation for work. All these were done with full screen brightness but with Bluetooth & Airport off.

Till date

It's barely 5 days and I am still learning something new everyday about Amadeus. For anyone who is considering compatibility issues, please set your heart at ease. The only think you might miss are the games that are written for Windows. Beyond that, it is really a personal choice on making the switch. It is no more different from switching from driving a Japanese car to a continental car. Everything is in there but in different places, except for the fact that is much more stable in terms of OS, aesthetically pleasing and above all, an intelligent machine that is able to fit comfortably with one's lifestyle. I might even venture to say that it isnt all that difficult to juggle 2 different OS (since my desktop is still running on Windows) so that concern is out of the window as well. In fact, if you are not all the familiar with Windows, it might prove to be an advantage since you do have less to un-learn.

Overall, the Macbook does have its short comings as well but looking at both platform, I find that the Macbook is the lesser of 2 evils. I hardly missed my old Acer lap top. It is really all about making the swtich and even if one does face any issues, there will always be work arounds, websites offereing tips or books. Of course, the MUG forum is also a lovely place to be at. ;)

I hope this has been some help in helping you make a choice if you are looking to switch.

For those who are interested in the specs, Amadeus is 2.36 kg, white in colour, packing 1 Gb of Ram, coupled with 80 Gb of HDD space with a Dual Layer Drive.

Cheers. :)

Issit? My MBP gives me very good signal... :think:

its pretty much a documented fact that the aluminium casing inhibits the signal strength :( ..

i've had first hand experience in the library at school when my 2 friends using other laptops could recieve a strong signal but i wasnt able to detact anything.

However getting a plastic macbook would not be a problem, this is not an osx issue, its the built of the mbp.

however, to answer the thread starters question. I wouldnt get a mbp now unless you really have too.

leopard is going to come out soon, also i expect the mbp to undergo some changes very soon as the present design is probably going to be updated, along with a couple of things i.e interchangable HDD, magnetic latch.

there are also rumors of a 12" mbp coming out depending on how much weight you want to put on that.

its pretty much a documented fact that the aluminium casing inhibits the signal strength :( ..

i've had first hand experience in the library at school when my 2 friends using other laptops could recieve a strong signal but i wasnt able to detact anything.

However getting a plastic macbook would not be a problem, this is not an osx issue, its the built of the mbp.

however, to answer the thread starters question. I wouldnt get a mbp now unless you really have too.

leopard is going to come out soon, also i expect the mbp to undergo some changes very soon as the present design is probably going to be updated, along with a couple of things i.e interchangable HDD, magnetic latch.

there are also rumors of a 12" mbp coming out depending on how much weight you want to put on that.
I don't really seem to have this issue though, my other friend's PB 15" however, can't get signals that my MBP can.

Thanks wolfgang for that ultra detailed description. It really helps a lot. I tink I shall wait for leopard to come out.. 7%GST or not :p btw wolfgang, yours is macbook pro or ?

Wonder what will they call the next one.. personally i hate the sound of leopard ahaha

Thanks wolfgang for that ultra detailed description. It really helps a lot. I tink I shall wait for leopard to come out.. 7%GST or not :p btw wolfgang, yours is macbook pro or ?

Wonder what will they call the next one.. personally i hate the sound of leopard ahaha
It's better than Panther ;p

MacBook. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.