MAC address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disable SSID broadcast, using MAC access list, etc. all brings a false sense of security. It's better to just use WPA, or if it's not available, at least WEP.

It's more than just blocking unauthorised users from hooking up to your WLAN, but also encrypting your data packets so that your data cannot be sniffed. Imagine all your juicy emails and credit card details being intercepted!

Enabling WPA is not that difficult, as long as you have WinXP with SP2. Make sure your hardware supports it and you're on your way.

moz-screenshot-2.jpg

Choose WPA-PSK (pre-shared key) as your authentication method, and TKIP as your encryption method.

For the router, set the appropriate security settings. Here's my Dlink w/router settings:
moz-screenshot.jpg

The encyption of data packets takes place only between the router & the transmitting/receiving computer.

When it goes out onto the net, its still IN PLAIN thus any attacker out there is still able to intercept ur data. ;)

jsbn said:
The encyption of data packets takes place only between the router & the transmitting/receiving computer.

When it goes out onto the net, its still IN PLAIN thus any attacker out there is still able to intercept ur data. ;)

At least after that, the packets are transmitted by a wired medium where it takes more considerable effort to intercept compared to wireless. :rolleyes: Nevertheless, thanks for pointing that out - that's going to bring in other aspects of computer network security which I don't have the expertise to elaborate.

I'm not suggesting WPA is going to protect the packets all the way through. But a system is only as strong as it's weakest link. So why open yourself to attacks? Don't let the weakest link be on your end.

Well, some ppl I know still carries the misconception that WEP & WPA are sufficient and assume that WEP & WPA are going to encrypt their data all the way frm the transmitting computer right to the ISP & all the way to the receiving webserver where it returns an encrypted traffic as well.

Juz putting a point across to smash the doubts & misunderstanding in Canew's mind (as well as anybody else) he might have abt WEP & WPA. :)

jsbn said:
Well, some ppl I know still carries the misconception that WEP & WPA are sufficient and assume that WEP & WPA are going to encrypt their data all the way frm the transmitting computer right to the ISP & all the way to the receiving webserver where it returns an encrypted traffic as well.

Juz putting a point across to smash the doubts & misunderstanding in Canew's mind (as well as anybody else) he might have abt WEP & WPA. :)
Thanks for the info, bro jsbn. Learning from this thread. Educational but a little confuse liao! Hehehheeeee.

jus to let u guys noe that disabling the ssid of ur network will slow down ur internet speed...so it is best to nt to disable the broadcast of it...

dreamerz said:
jus to let u guys noe that disabling the ssid of ur network will slow down ur internet speed...so it is best to nt to disable the broadcast of it...
dreamerz, why will disabling the SSID broadcast slow the network down?

Canew said:
dreamerz, why will disabling the SSID broadcast slow the network down?
as u stop broadcasting the ssid it will slow the connection down by mayb 5-10%...
as for the reason i nt sure...last time when i disable ssid my speed affected...n alot of prob start to surface like freq d/c, and cannot connect via wireless..

note: if u r using 802.11g only...set ur wireless to 802.11g mode...it will increase ur speed by 5-10%....

dreamerz said:
haha...nv tried wpa2 b4...but its say to be 1 of the best encryption available...
i now using wep nia....cannot use wpa cos of that stupid 2700HG gt bug with WPA...:confused:

got difference between WPA Personal & Enterprise? or WPA 2 is better?

Paul_Yeo said:
how to disable SSID broadcast?
go to ur router page under the wireless setup page...uncheck the Enable SSID Broadcast box...but disabling SSID is useless as there are prog out there to detect all SSID within the range...including hidden 1...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
got difference between WPA Personal & Enterprise? or WPA 2 is better?
haha...in terms of encrpytion WPA 2 is more secure...i think the difference between WPA Personal & Enterprise is that personal uses PSK n enterprise uses EAP...

dreamerz said:
haha...in terms of encrpytion WPA 2 is more secure...i think the difference between WPA Personal & Enterprise is that personal uses PSK n enterprise uses EAP...

my router have WPA2 Personal & Enterprise... which should i use...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
my router have WPA2 Personal & Enterprise... which should i use...
haha...this im nt sure...nv play ard with WPA 2 b4...so cant giv any comments...but iirc win XP dun support WPA 2..u will need to dl a patch b4 u can use WPA 2....

dreamerz said:
haha...this im nt sure...nv play ard with WPA 2 b4...so cant giv any comments...but iirc win XP dun support WPA 2..u will need to dl a patch b4 u can use WPA 2....

all my system is Win XP SP2 already, hmm... which patch is needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.