Low Cost DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy Ang said:
A100? Welcome to Noisy Realm.

noisy? why?
sony got good noise reduction technique and since nikon is also using their sensor, they should do that bad in noise. from some of the preview about A100, it seems that their noise control are pretty good with good dynamic range as well. :thumbsup:

nope i din do side by side. but does that mean it sux at noise control? :dunno:
or did you done a side by side? :dunno:

this is a very informative thread :D

i am a canon A40 user too

i also notice it is a very slow in AutoFocusing....
sometimes doesnt focus properly too!

and the flashing is so.... slow ;o

maybe after 5 years of usage...
going down the 6 feet liao :D

can service and pass it on?

Just drop by and let you all know that I have not bought my d50 yet. Looks like it's confirmed that d50 will not have any body only for sales. So now choice. Anyway, will be waiting for the launch of the mysterious new Nikon then decide. It could be a super duper D45 at lower cost?;) ;p

cpuer said:
Just drop by and let you all know that I have not bought my d50 yet. Looks like it's confirmed that d50 will not have any body only for sales. So now choice. Anyway, will be waiting for the launch of the mysterious new Nikon then decide. It could be a super duper D45 at lower cost?;) ;p

Maybe the New model is D24 XO..... :bsmilie:

Nice pics you have there, HK repulse bay is really nice

Think of the whole system before u buy..Plan properly of what you will be shooting/what you like to shoot. Also think of if you are only viewing on computer screen or prefer to print out (big size)

Please do not buy Body+kit lens directly, consider it objectively and plan ur lenses roadmap in near future. Lenses and accessories cost a lot more than the body (and good body today could be a lousy 1 in next few years)

These are my recommendation in terms of cost considerations:
Olympus E330 is good for color and cheaper lens. 4/3 system is good for printout, but noisy at long exposure (>10 sec), and noisy for ISO 400. 14-54mm F2.8-3.5 lens cost u around S$780. For this E330 you could shoot using the Live LCD also, which is good. Olympus camera is relatively harder to sell compare to Nikon/Canon.

Nikon is good for solid body. AF is faster than Olympus, I will say a better system for sports photography and I really like the grip of D70s compare to Olympus system. But Nikkor lenses are expensive. 17-55mm F2.8 will cost u $2.2k. However there are options to buy equivalent Sigma lens (for example 17-50mm F2.8 will cost u around 800-900). Nikon is the best system if you are rich. High resale value also.

Canon is famous in Singapore. 350D grip doesn't work on my hand, not sure about yours. You could use Sigma lenses for Canon mount system also. Personally I won't recommend you to get Canon 350D. High resale value.

Sony, never use before, no comment.

So maybe u can consider these for the abovementioned systems:
1) Initial Investment =
2) Equivalent lenses you want to get =
3) Flash =
4) Resale value if you are not happy with the system =

That shall work. But most importantly is u must love your cam, then you will produce good pics.
:D

dr34mc4st3r said:
the noise issue is overblown...

Not overblown for me! I am Pro-Sony, but when it comes to camera... (I have 2 Sony Cameras in fact)... Once I crossed to Nikon, never turned back. :D

DeSwitch said:
My Canon 350D must be a special edition then cos I have spot metering and I can go beyond 1/500s and still use flash (FP mode)

wah...ur canon 350D is really special edition liao
extracted from canon website:
http://site-sg.canon-asia.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=digitalcamera&prod_type=eos350d_specs

Metering Range: EV 1-20 Evaluative, partial at center, center weighted averaged
Shutter Speeds: 1/4000 - 30 sec, bulb, X-sync at 1/200 sec.

kcuf2 said:
if you really desire to learn photography, i feel D50 is a better choice than the canon 350D. Thats because it has more functions than the 350D in which u can toy with and trial and error to learn. An example would be spot metering and u can have it in D50. Not to mention, the flash synch speed is 1/500s.

Another consideration u have to take into account is the memory card. I believe ur A40 uses SD card rite? thus u can use back ur old memory cards :thumbsup: While ppl may say memory is cheap, i know that when one is on tight budget, the price of even the cheapest memory card kills..
of
One more would be ur brudder is a nikonian, next time u can buy/borrow his lens or accessories from him!!! U can borrow from him to learn ur photography, isnt that very important for one who is on tight budget? And u can try out the lens before u decide u love it and then u go buy it. Rather then u buy then find it not nice then u sell it at a loss later on. and not to mention, he will teach u all the things a nikonian should know!

And lastly, Nikon is one of the giants in this photography industry, u wont go wrong with it.. and also, the Buy & Sell got lots of nikon lens and accessories on sale!

So after reading this, does that make u a nikonian now? ;p

[btw if u go and buy the D50, dun go and buy from the shops outside, go and buy from the mass order in here, they are better priced. i believe u can get D50 at $1000+ here instead of $1100 or $1300 outside in shops
thanks for the commnet on the Ocean Park pic. By shear luck and chance that I took the picture. The sky was strangely clear on that day of the visit. That bright sunny afternoon surely helped my A40 in a slightly bumpy cable car ride.

Well, thanks for all these points given. I wont switch camera, it will be D50, only waiting for the opportune time to buy that's all. I will start from the very basic kit and min investment, I dont have good stamina in keeping an hobby alive for long, so I am cautious in my spending.

DeSwitch said:
My Canon 350D must be a special edition then cos I have spot metering and I can go beyond 1/500s and still use flash (FP mode)
Errr...,

AFAIK, flash's FP mode is mean to use flash above camera's flash sync speed with the cost of flash's GN number decrease.

It is mean, you can use flash (with FP mode) at 1/500s (above camera's flash sync at 1/200s), but the flash's GN will less (not as strong as) than camera that have flash sync at 1/500s.

Regards,
Arto.

I too am a Pro-sony fella. Own both Sony Playstation 1 and 2 as well as a Sony CD Burner too. :sticktong

After taking up Nikon and No regrets at all from then on. Even some jitter from other brand user friends will not change a thing. So Nikon's my Game now...the D50 ;p

Tried 350D before...not suitable for my humongus hands :D

But that's me. You need to decide for yourself which one is suitable for you not what people think is. :thumbsup:

Just want to inform that I have bought my F31fd a couple of days ago. This is after much soul searching and reevaluation of my lifestyle and reconsiderations of my physical limitation.

Thanks guys that helped me in the past. I appreciate the past inputs and advice. I will be hanging out more at the Fuji sub forum more now. But since I am also a newbie, I will drop by here often too.

Hi All,
I am tight on budget. But really like to start some more serious photo taking. I have an old A40, but this thing is very slow in low light situation, focusing is so slow that most of the time I missed some wonderful chance of taking a nice pic. Faster focusing is one of the main reason that i wanted to see if I should start DSLR now.

Now I have found D50 is one of the lowest price DSLR. Is there any more that I should consider? I am not so concerned with lens, as I don't think I will spend lot's of money on extra lens.

My photog skill is really low, if photog can be ranked according to our school system, then, i am probably at P2 or P3 now :)

See some of my pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92688336@N00/141824442/

http://static.flickr.com/46/140605681_b671ff7834.jpg?v=0

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92688336@N00/140605682/

TIA

The "entry" level DSLRS I would consider (i.e. find out prices, touch, feel) right now are:

Nikon: D40, D50, D80
Canon: 350D, 400D
Pentax: K100D, K10D (mid december arrival in singapore)
Sony: A100
Olympus: E-500.

The most affordable will be the E-500/D40/K100D (can't tell yet, don't know singapore pricing, in the US the K100D is the most affordable), then D50, 350D, 400D, K10D, A100, D80.

The kit lens on the D80 is the most versatile (18-135), followed by the A100 (18-70); all the rest are 18-55.

For a real P&S replacement, with a single lens, I would get a D40/D50 (see which has specs you prefer, it's basically newer design (d40) against better design (d50)) and the nikon 18-200 VR lens. The lens costs ~ SGD 1200, but it is excellent.

If that's too pricey, I would get the K100D with it's kit, and then either the pentax 50-200 or the sigma APO 70-300. This would give you the equivalent range, and you get stabilization through that range as well. The K100D body slots inbetween the D40 and D50 in terms of -good- design.

Just want to inform that I have bought my F31fd a couple of days ago. This is after much soul searching and reevaluation of my lifestyle and reconsiderations of my physical limitation.

Thanks guys that helped me in the past. I appreciate the past inputs and advice. I will be hanging out more at the Fuji sub forum more now. But since I am also a newbie, I will drop by here often too.

Glad you've made your choice. I heard it's an excellent camera.

Happy shooting!

Good choice. DSLR is not the every photographer answer.

I was about to suggest Fuji F30 when I read your first post.

I too am a Pro-sony fella. Own both Sony Playstation 1 and 2 as well as a Sony CD Burner too. :sticktong

After taking up Nikon and No regrets at all from then on. Even some jitter from other brand user friends will not change a thing. So Nikon's my Game now...the D50 ;p

Tried 350D before...not suitable for my humongus hands :D

But that's me. You need to decide for yourself which one is suitable for you not what people think is. :thumbsup:
Nikon is using Sony sensors too, aren't they? ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.