Low Cost DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cpuer said:
Just finished msn with my brudder in hk, haha, he is giving me his 24-85mm ED Nikon lens. is this a good lens? Looks like I am going to get a Nikon D50 for sure.

Anywhere I can get a D50 body only? The regular places like AP, CP will let me buy just the body?
With this, you can start thinking along the lines suggested by Grumpy and EOSFILM. Go look for a 2nd hand D70/D70s/D50 in the Buy-&-Sell section in this forum. My apprentice and a couple of friends got theirs from there. At $800/- going price for a used body, it can be a very good deal. Some kindly sellers have a reasonably low shutter count and may even throw in an extra battery.

Assuming you do get one, pair it up with your 24-85, go shooting with an open mind. Explore what you can do with a single lens (which happens to be a lot!), look at the photos shared by various people, learn from them. And slowly( don't rush), slowly discover the genre you prefer.

There are outings that you can join --> http://forums.clubsnap.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49.
And there will be good folks you can learn from. Just ignore the buy-to-upgrade nonsense and you will be fine. After all, some competition winners started on a single lens too, and they are still on a single lens. Better that you learn to use what you have and care for it first. Equipment chase is a pointless waste of time and money.

Hope this helps.

Azure said:
Better that you learn to use what you have and care for it first. Equipment chase is a pointless waste of time and money.

This is the best advice you can get. :thumbsup:
I myself is using a D50 camera. Just one word to describe. I like it.
Don't take my word, go and feel it.
Do you know that a D50 kit lens can do a lot ??
It is wide enough for most scenery shots, good enough for streetshooting and
family photos.
You can't compare the sharpness with 'L' lens, but good enough.
What you get is a body with high ISO and fast focusing speed.
Slowly save up and add to your lens collection while learning.

alternatively choose pentax...olympus
seldom heard them complain their system..so they must be good

ExplorerZ said:
not sure about the lens, but i don think it is possible to find new body ONLY package in singapore. guess you got to buy with the kit lens and maybe sell it or try using it. you might like it! :thumbsup:

Alan Photo @ Sim Lim used to quote me D50 body only for $1080,
and $1050 body only without memory card. It was about 1 month ago.
Don't know whether you can still get this offer or not....:cool:

reason why i would advice a go for a D70s instead is.....

1) D70s uses a CF card... i think almost all other DSLR uses CF cards, so if u decide to upgrade next time, u dont need to change card system.

2) DOP button.... i got use lah... but.. depends on u lah...

3) top panel lite.... when i shoot at night... really very useful!

lastly, yes, D50 is small and light. actually, D70s isnt that heavy also. anyway, the weight also gives a good and stable grip.

D70s isnt that difficult to use too... Heck, i believe even D200 is ok once u go at it...

I would go for D70s as it has the dial infront!

anyway, after so long, i believe in 2nd stuff here.... its jus not worth spending that much more, now when i cant afford, for that "new stuff scent" when u open the box :p

just my 2 cents

vincent9999 said:
Alan Photo @ Sim Lim used to quote me D50 body only for $1080,
and $1050 body only without memory card. It was about 1 month ago.
Don't know whether you can still get this offer or not....:cool:
but they quoted me with everything std stuff for $1166 just 2 weeks ago. Did that guy made a mistake? Hmmm....

Anyway, guys I know most of you recommend D70s, but i money not enough, i am a newbie, so i just want to start with something cheaper. The photog colleagues of mine all told me the same thing ie get D70, get D70, here too.:)

I think i will make a trip back to AP to ask for another quote for D50 body only. Since I can get the ED lens, I dont intend to keep the DX.

Anyway, you guys are really a very enthusiastic bunch, glad to be here in this forum. Hope to learn lot's more from you guys.

A side note, i really impressed by this ltanh pics, stunning.

http://www.pbase.com/ltanh

cpuer said:
but they quoted me with everything std stuff for $1166 just 2 weeks ago. Did that guy made a mistake? Hmmm....

Anyway, guys I know most of you recommend D70s, but i money not enough, i am a newbie, so i just want to start with something cheaper. The photog colleagues of mine all told me the same thing ie get D70, get D70, here too.:)

I think i will make a trip back to AP to ask for another quote for D50 body only. Since I can get the ED lens, I dont intend to keep the DX.

Anyway, you guys are really a very enthusiastic bunch, glad to be here in this forum. Hope to learn lot's more from you guys.

A side note, i really impressed by this ltanh pics, stunning.

http://www.pbase.com/ltanh

You can get D70s body from B&S from $900-$1100. Try and look for it..alot are upgrading to D200 now

Emm.. Yumyum is selling his D50 Body for $750. (DOnno is there any upbid yet), you can private message him.

thanks for the lead brudder.

guess u would prefer the new cam scent?

haa haa.... dont mind me pushing so hard bro.... i seriously ask u to consider a 2nd hand... if money is an issue, 2nd hand is the answer! so far no prob with 2nd hand cam... ppl selling here are all careful handlers of their "baby"... dont think u want the D50 kit also... although its not bad at about 18-35mm range, but its feel isnt that solid :p the D70 Kit is better... Get both 2nd hand, maybe it can fit ur budget :p

I heard the D50 is obselete is this true? i heard from 1 shop uncle he say D50 no more in production... so sad..

Is the Pentax dslr good? its so much cheap and slightly smaller? can anyone advise? i'm planning to get one.

D70 where got obsolete? I think still a good entry level DSLR :p

D50 also ok lah... but I think i will miss the front dial! or is it the back dial..... hmmm... haa haa..

but of cos... i want my D200!!! :p

how can be obsolete so fast? It's the chase for newest stuff that make you think that some items become obsolete.

if my first Coolpix775's lens did not jam and was too expensive to repair, I would still be using that 2.3MP camera. Some of my best shots were captured using that cam

how to define obsolete?
nowadays digital cam are packed with so many features and functions, one can hardly finish exploring and using all of them

zcwnfx said:
D70 where got obsolete? I think still a good entry level DSLR :p

D50 also ok lah... but I think i will miss the front dial! or is it the back dial..... hmmm... haa haa..

but of cos... i want my D200!!! :p

D200? can get their CCD in A100.:bsmilie:

Er...you said your bro already have a nikon system..

Why dun just get a D200 and then use his lens...

Then no more complains about the camera already... :)

since this is a newbie corner, and it is about low cost DSLR , i was wondering, if pentax can be quite cheap for its kit, $9XX for camera and lens, how much does their lenses cost ? are the difference in price for DSLR compensated for their expensive lenses or are they like other slrs where lenses are competitve ? ( should i say cheap ? )

Andy Ang said:
A100? Welcome to Noisy Realm.
wholeheartily agreed with u it as noisy as the d200:thumbsup:

bleam said:
I heard the D50 is obselete is this true? i heard from 1 shop uncle he say D50 no more in production... so sad..

Is the Pentax dslr good? its so much cheap and slightly smaller? can anyone advise? i'm planning to get one.
it good....so far very rarely heard complaint abt it
check out fengwei (clubsnapper) his pics solid:thumbsup:
who need pro cam to take good pics?
it the man that behind the camera that matter

another choice would be the olympus....the users swear by it.. even got people ditch their canon 1 series pro body and one i known of switch from nikon d70 to fuji pro S3 but eventually switch to the olympus....

Status
Not open for further replies.