Local Pentax Pricing for K5IIs (and cameras) - We need better

So in some ways, sometimes we dig our own holes. :)

I like this..digging our own holes....local pentaxians exploiting fellow pentaxians with pple buying k-01 set cheap and resell in forum..and pple offering to buy from Japan...i just came back from Tokyo 1 week ago..i should have done that too..the profit from buying back the 5 cam is enough to cover for my airfare and hotel

I like this..digging our own holes....local pentaxians exploiting fellow pentaxians with pple buying k-01 set cheap and resell in forum..and pple offering to buy from Japan...i just came back from Tokyo 1 week ago..i should have done that too..the profit from buying back the 5 cam is enough to cover for my airfare and hotel

Yes, if the community cannot even find it in their hearts to help each other get a good price... Everything is about $ $ $... Then we don't deserve to cry about a private company, whose primary objective is $ $ $, milking us as much as it can.

I do believe that many here are better than that. :)

Yes, if the community cannot even find it in their hearts to help each other get a good price... Everything is about $ $ $... Then we don't deserve to cry about a private company, whose primary objective is $ $ $, milking us as much as it can.

I do believe that many here are better than that. :)

I am nasty to say this, but I will.

Those guys are not community!
They are just lurkers and opportunists.

How many are have faces (not just internet 'handles') or even regular posters of photos?
Sometimes I see the post history of some guys.
All only bns.

Ok. On the bright side, I signed up with Tenso to fwd from Amazon Jpn to Sg.
Heard good things abt them compared to Vpost.
If I do ship via them and it works out fine, I'll update.
(But currently, I got nothing to buy......)

I've yet to own a Pentax or Nikon gears, but i seem to take liking towards these 2 brands.
For months, i've been comparing Pentax & Nikon gears, reading review on websites & so on.
I've favoured on Pentax gears more than Nikon, due to the many pros that Pentax gives.
However, the cons are such that Pentax gears are not easily available & local price is
more expensive compare to oversea. Some lenses like the DA* 55mm is very expensive.
Lastly, It's difficult to have third parties support as well.
I believe that this high pricing is due to no availability of alternative sources in sg.
Clearly, if Emjay could bring in more Pentax gears it would offset the local price to a
more reasonable level. f u look at the Technogadget webstore, grey set of Nikon D7100 is
priced at around $14XX, the same price selling in local store. This shows that with local
grey set around, prices are going to be more competitive & reasonable.
I dont't know how long could Emjay survive, by selling K30, 2 kit lenses & some accessories.
Hope that Emjay could do better & Pentax gears are more reasonable to buy. i definitely love
to have a Pentax......

Well, Emjay is no longer the local distributor of Pentax, but they are also distributor of other brands of electronic equipments. FYI, the K30 either comes as body only or with the DA18-135. There is no kit with 2 lenses.

If you are really interested to jump into Pentax, then get the Crystal Black K30 with the DA18-135 from e-offers.com. At that price, our local distributor will never be able to match. I got the K30 body from e-offers only last week.

DA*55/1.4 may be expensive, but the alternative is FA50/1.4 which is still available new or the FA43/1.9 which can be the other alternative.

Last edited:
Had talk to emjay (I mean someone from Emjay) now eoffer about demand on grey k5iis last night . Not sure if he can do something about it . Hope for the good news

Last edited:

Bro you are not this kind of profit minded person lar.

Had talk to emjay (I mean someone from Emjay) now eoffer about demand on grey k5iis last night . Not sure if he can do something about it . Hope for the good news

Gd news bro...hope more grey sets on lenses too. Cheers

Last time OP used to always bring in grey sets...

Some people started chipping in everytime there was a thread on OP saying that they were not honest and their sets were grey, blah blah blah, IIRC. That was when they stopped doing so.

So in some ways, sometimes we dig our own holes. :) I think grey is fine, as long as the decision to purchase grey is done with open eyes and with the knowledge of the implications. We should have a choice, but well, the market serves what the market demands, and that's how it's played out. :)

I think buying local grey set is better than buying from US webstore, as it's possible
of buying a refurnish set. more over it's cheaper & new, so got nothing to lose, unless
it's damn unlucky to buy a faulty set.

Last edited:
Well, Emjay is no longer the local distributor of Pentax, but they are also distributor of other brands of electronic equipments. FYI, the K30 either comes as body only or with the DA18-135. There is no kit with 2 lenses.

If you are really interested to jump into Pentax, then get the Crystal Black K30 with the DA18-135 from e-offers.com. At that price, our local distributor will never be able to match. I got the K30 body from e-offers only last week.

DA*55/1.4 may be expensive, but the alternative is FA50/1.4 which is still available new or the FA43/1.9 which can be the other alternative.

Thanks for your suggestion! i find that the k30 price is very tempting also.
since someone has posted that there might be k5iis available in Emjay, so
i still can hold on the buy a little longer.

Rakuten: Pentax[ Pentax] K-5IIs body kit - Shopping Japanese products from Japan

S$981.26

Oh man!
If not for the fact that I'm happy enough with my K30 and hoping to get the next newer model.......

Even with lousy Vpost, shipping will be about $60+ (excluding local Jpn shipping and GST).

I had missed all the initial discussion on this. It is very surprising for me to see the price difference between local and overseas from all the different sources quoted. I had thought that it will be fairly even out. The differential is quite substantial even considering a premium for local service.

The K30 is great but now in a dilemma to sell off the K5 and get another K30 or just sell off the K5 and buy this?

Felix...looks like you are afflicted by CBA. :bsmilie:

Yeah looks very much like it. The coloured K30s are affecting me real bad. Silver, Red or Yellow? mmm . . .

RED!!! Coz its the trademark of Pentax and its 645D! :D

It took a long time for me to make up my mind to write this post.
I typically believe that we should be reasonable, with our expectations on local pricing.
After all, the distro and sellers got to make money.
Then we also get local warranty.
There is overseas shipping and GST so that adds up.
Finally, there is the hassle of dealing with defective goods if buying overseas.

But I look around today at overseas prices and I feel that I've got to get this off my chest.
The current pricing is just too bad compared to overseas prices.

Look at the K5IIs

Amazon JPN - Y80,807 = $1024
So all in (GST, Shipping ~S$50) = ~$1146
Amazon.co.jpF PENTAX ƒfƒWƒ^ƒ‹ˆêŠáƒŒƒtƒJƒƒ‰ K-5IIsƒ{ƒfƒB K-5IIsBODY ƒ[ƒpƒXƒtƒBƒ‹ƒ^[ƒŒƒX: ‰Æ“dEƒJƒƒ‰

Amazon US _ USD1079 = $1332
So all in (GST, Shipping ~USD50) = ~$1480
Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 IIs 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black): Camera & Photo

Here its ~$17xx.
There's also a bundle with a sigma lens, but lets be frank, how many ppl want that lens.
If its a $150-$300 off any other Sigma lens (or a better selection), then we're talking.

I just hope, pricing can be better and this will help the number of Pentax users grow.
Eventually, its going to be more profit for the distro in the long run, so no one looses.

Thanks JK for putting these up. I guess many of us have already seen the price hike ever since APD took over Pentax.

I'd been buying Pentax cameras new from local shops ever since *istDs. You guys know I got resources to buy Pentax stuff from overseas, believe it or not, I've bought all these Pentax cameras new from local shops: K10D, K10D Grand Prix LE, K20D, K100D, K7,
K5, K5 Silver, K30. And I bought most of these on the first day when they arrived here in Singapore.

K5IIs was the first Pentax dSLR cameras I bought second hand (for my own use, not for friends) in the past 9 years, actually it's the very second Pentax dSLR camera I've ever bought second hand for my personal use. The first one was the *istD which cost $3000 back in 2003 together with the FAJ18-35 kit lens! I guess this showed something. Hope I'd be willing to buy Pentax cameras new from local stores again someday.

my first pentax gear that I have ever bought first hand is Pentax K-01 from OP,

it is important to support local market,

otherwise not much second hand gear flow into the BnS market to attract new budget student shooter in. ;)

Thanks JK for putting these up. I guess many of us have already seen the price hike ever since APD took over Pentax.

I'd been buying Pentax cameras new from local shops ever since *istDs. You guys know I got resources to buy Pentax stuff from overseas, believe it or not, I've bought all these Pentax cameras new from local shops: K10D, K10D Grand Prix LE, K20D, K100D, K7,
K5, K5 Silver, K30. And I bought most of these on the first day when they arrived here in Singapore.

K5IIs was the first Pentax dSLR cameras I bought second hand (for my own use, not for friends) in the past 9 years, actually it's the very second Pentax dSLR camera I've ever bought second hand for my personal use. The first one was the *istD which cost $3000 back in 2003 together with the FAJ18-35 kit lens! I guess this showed something. Hope I'd be willing to buy Pentax cameras new from local stores again someday.

Yes, Fengwei, I just hope that the APDS rep who views this thread takes it positively.
As I see it :
1. There are many good customers buying Pentax and they should at least get fair pricing.
2. The reality on the ground is that overseas is much cheaper and the price difference makes buying overseas a highly viable choice all things considered. (ie. warranty; gst; shipping)
3. Pentax user base is not growing much since Kx/K5 (if not declining) and will certainly benefit both APDS and us if more people are attracted to Pentax with good pricing.
4. People here are willing to buy local if the pricing is fair (and the point is fair price and not lowest in the World)

Last edited: