'Live' view on a pro-spec'ed body: Yay or Nay?

'Live' view on a pro-spec'ed body?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why insist on putting your eye behind the viewfinder to call yourself a PRO ? At the end of the day, it's the pictures that wow. Not what posture you are in when taking the photo that makes you good. I'm sure a photographer that practice yoga and bend in awkward position better. hahahahaha

I think Live view is a good feature introduced, but not something to rely on. Use it when you feel the need to. Don't just use it becoz it's better or what. It is not better or worse, just another way to frame your composition. That's all!!!! If you give me a cable extending out to another screen, and I need it, I will use it. I don't care if it's PRO or not.

I have quite a few instances I feel I'm glad I had Live View. I am shooting the NDP 2008, and I didn't reach the venue on time, so I'm in the crowd. I crank my tripod all the way up, even taller than I am (1.83m) and way above the heads of the crowd and shoot. Without LV, how am I going to frame !? Another case, I am trying to shoot at an angle that I need to slot the camera into a small confine area. I can see the LV, but cannot see thru the view finder. There it goes frame and click.

So... at the end of the day, each has its own pro and cons. Too much Live View heat up the sensor and may result in noiser pics, so use sparingly, at least that's the technology for now.

Move with the times.... adapt and take better pictures with what technology can offer you. Fall back to the old school approach when such features are not available. Make the best of what is offered to you. Be versatile. Don't lock yourself in your mind. Open it up and embrace.

That's how I feel. My alot of 2 cents worth of opinions. :)

will shooting LV at bright spots kill the pixels?

Live view can let you shoot discreetly. Eg you're in Chinatown where people generally don't enjoy being photographed, you can turn on LV and hang casually and shoot without your "victim" knowing ;)

If I have to pay so much for a pro specs body, I would expect that body to have all the technology found in the lower end cameras.

Just like a high end car....they have all the specs of the low end car plus message chair, individualised aircon and etc.

I think LV is good in odd or awkward situations; shooting over a crowd of heads typically, or a case of stiff spine can't get down low ona subject. But generally, I think clients might feel insecure when they see their hired photographer shooting via LV.
Also, LV adds to the price of a DSLR as well as accelerates battery drain - apart from developing a bad habit of composing via this
convenient feature.

I think NAY for LV on Pro-spec bodies. A900's Intelli View was a smart work around in catering to the LV fans without putting off the pro end users.

I think LV is good in odd or awkward situations; shooting over a crowd of heads typically, or a case of stiff spine can't get down low ona subject. But generally, I think clients might feel insecure when they see their hired photographer shooting via LV.

As myself and some macro shooters have discovered, contrast detection AF in LV mode can be very accurate especially for macro/product shoot. However, tripod mount is very important. I don't see why should clients feel insecure when we are using the best technology to achieve the best image that they want.

As myself and some macro shooters have discovered, contrast detection AF in LV mode can be very accurate especially for macro/product shoot. However, tripod mount is very important. I don't see why should clients feel insecure when we are using the best technology to achieve the best image that they want.

WE may understand that it is the best and or latest in photo-tech., but most clients DO NOT. And worse, CLients are always RIGHT!

WE may understand that it is the best and or latest in photo-tech., but most clients DO NOT. And worse, CLients are always RIGHT!

But it's up to the photographer to gently convince their clients to update their thinking. :)

I've come to appreciate LV recently when I had to shoot a relative large event, some presentation ceremony, and another similar event where I had to set up some photo-booth.

Portable studio backdrop, lights, mark and "X" on the floor. Bolt the camera to a tripod, remotely controlled, tethered to laptop. Get the people to stand on the X, and LV helped me to do a very quick visual confirmation that they were in frame, and that freed me up to interact with the subjects and direct them.

The other situation was where I positioned on the floor, and I had to do group after group shots of prize receipients on a stage. Camera was mounted about 1.8m above ground, and the LV with tiltable screen definitely helped. (I used the Alpha 350, a consumer-grade DSLR).

So yeah, LV, while not a die-die must have, is definitely a huge plus, even on a pro-spec'ed body/

As from the options in the poll: Waste time only. :bsmilie:

Dont think anyone can see the screen during those quick overhead shots in a mob. Unless with a flip down/up screen.... then might as well get a S5IS or even my good ol' Oly 5050! ;)

Cheerios Synapseman! :thumbsup: for the poll

LV is very useful for taking long exposure shots as you don't need to squint thru your viewfinder when the camera is on the tripod. :bsmilie:

As from the options in the poll: Waste time only. :bsmilie:

Dont think anyone can see the screen during those quick overhead shots in a mob. Unless with a flip down/up screen.... then might as well get a S5IS or even my good ol' Oly 5050! ;)

Cheerios Synapseman! :thumbsup: for the poll

Well consumer digicams like the ones you mentioned are inherently slower to use than DSLRs. Until recently, live view has been largely in the domain of non-pro enthusiasts. Still, I have to agree with you also that LV in reality, has limited usefulness in fast paced situations. Even with Sony's fast LV implementation, using it does slow things down a little. Stick the camera above your head, set wide angle, tilt down slightly and just whack! :bsmilie:

But it's up to the photographer to gently convince their clients to update their thinking. :)

I've come to appreciate LV recently when I had to shoot a relative large event, some presentation ceremony, and another similar event where I had to set up some photo-booth.

Portable studio backdrop, lights, mark and "X" on the floor. Bolt the camera to a tripod, remotely controlled, tethered to laptop. Get the people to stand on the X, and LV helped me to do a very quick visual confirmation that they were in frame, and that freed me up to interact with the subjects and direct them.

The other situation was where I positioned on the floor, and I had to do group after group shots of prize receipients on a stage. Camera was mounted about 1.8m above ground, and the LV with tiltable screen definitely helped. (I used the Alpha 350, a consumer-grade DSLR).

So yeah, LV, while not a die-die must have, is definitely a huge plus, even on a pro-spec'ed body/

Yes, synapseman, I do agree that LV under those circumstances is an added advantage, and under those that you have described, I doubt clients would regard the use of LV any less professional being that they're largely young hip and professionals themselves. But, I good dose of 'educating', as you've indicated, will be necessary when dealing with heartland clienteles.

voted live view a 'better to have'.

of course i still prefer using the viewfinder. VF gives the (not say pro) assuring feeling of the shot we're taking cause we're really looking at what we're taking instead of some pixelated LCD image which small details might be left out and it's low resolution makes manual focus impossible.
Furthermore, i could hold the camera sturdier while using the VF.;)

the good stuff of LV comes when 1st, we're taking the shot from an impossible position (tripod'ed, or trying to shoot over the crowds' heads), 2nd, estimating exposure, and 3rd (also the one i hope no one abuses it) taking secret shots.:bigeyes:

PS: saya A350K user. Tiltable LCD Screen.

I think in general, many hobbyists who started into photography first used either a digicam or prosumer "bridge" cam that would have LCD Live View. I think on a consumer-grade DSLR, it's such a great idea that it's practically a "must-have".

However, for pro-spec'ed bodies like the Alpha 900, EOS-1, D3 series, the users of these types may include the purists who migrated over from the film SLR days. Some features (like built-in flash) are seen as a big no-no on these cameras, probably also because the pros would probably almost use those features.

Why insist on putting your eye behind the viewfinder to call yourself a PRO ? At the end of the day, it's the pictures that wow. Not what posture you are in when taking the photo that makes you good. I'm sure a photographer that practice yoga and bend in awkward position better. hahahahaha

I think Live view is a good feature introduced, but not something to rely on. Use it when you feel the need to. Don't just use it becoz it's better or what. It is not better or worse, just another way to frame your composition. That's all!!!! If you give me a cable extending out to another screen, and I need it, I will use it. I don't care if it's PRO or not.

I have quite a few instances I feel I'm glad I had Live View. I am shooting the NDP 2008, and I didn't reach the venue on time, so I'm in the crowd. I crank my tripod all the way up, even taller than I am (1.83m) and way above the heads of the crowd and shoot. Without LV, how am I going to frame !? Another case, I am trying to shoot at an angle that I need to slot the camera into a small confine area. I can see the LV, but cannot see thru the view finder. There it goes frame and click.

So... at the end of the day, each has its own pro and cons. Too much Live View heat up the sensor and may result in noiser pics, so use sparingly, at least that's the technology for now.

Move with the times.... adapt and take better pictures with what technology can offer you. Fall back to the old school approach when such features are not available. Make the best of what is offered to you. Be versatile. Don't lock yourself in your mind. Open it up and embrace.

That's how I feel. My alot of 2 cents worth of opinions. :)

How do you see the lcd when you raise it way above the crowd? only olympus has a proper retractable , tiltable lcd for liveview. The live view as of now in most nikon and canon is bare usable , even the when i was using the sony a350 , in broad daylight it hardly visible.

The live view as of now in most nikon and canon is bare usable , even the when i was using the sony a350 , in broad daylight it hardly visible.

Actually the LV is the 450D is quite good, although it doesn't LV-AF fast as a A350/300 but the viewing angle is very good if you crank up your LCD brightness... Try it someday... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.