'Live' view on a pro-spec'ed body: Yay or Nay?

'Live' view on a pro-spec'ed body?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm...Its about live view, not video mode...btw, live view doesn't mean video mode.

Well technically they are related, aren't they? The D90 only starts movie recording after u put it in LV mode...

Yah related, but a cam having live view may not have Movie mode. Back to my comment, what I meant was this thread is talking about Live View, not Video mode.:)

Well technically they are related, aren't they? The D90 only starts movie recording after u put it in LV mode...

Aint using live view going to kill the sensor earlier?

I'm for live view, although I won't use it often, it will still be useful for shots which require manual focus and you'd need to check the sharpness before taking the shot.

You can always opt to not use it if you don't like it, I'm sure the camera will still work as well as before!

whether you like or not, i'm afraid it's here to stay . . . but you DO have the option whether to use it or not

personally, i'd welcome it . . . will definitely come in handy when taking shots at awkward positions . . . specially those with vari-angle/fully articulated LCDs like oly's E-3 :)

Most if not all compacts use only live view to shoot, the camera life is not shorter then DSLR. My 5.5 yr old 2MP fuji 2800 is still going strong.:)

Good point. Thank you for that insight.

Most if not all compacts use only live view to shoot, the camera life is not shorter then DSLR. My 5.5 yr old 2MP fuji 2800 is still going strong.:)

Yes, but the sensor is also designed to withstand that.

But do you think the same manufacturer who does compact doesn't know how to design a DSLR with liveview and take care of the reliability at the same time? They have a library of the reliability figures of most of the components in the cam, especially the important components like the sensor.

Has the Oly's DSLR with live view been dying, since they have launched for so long? Still going strong!

Have faith with Nikon, I am sure the sensor is designed for and is ready for Live view (this is the 3rd model of Live View DSLR from Nikon, if anything wrong it will be in D300/D3 and should be fixed by now).:)

Yes, but the sensor is also designed to withstand that.

if it comes with articulated lcd it would be perfect

Have faith with Nikon, I am sure the sensor is designed for and is ready for Live view (this is the 3rd model of Live View DSLR from Nikon, if anything wrong it will be in D300/D3 and should be fixed by now).:)

The sensor is made and designed by Sony, not Nikon. (Except for D3 and D700)

Like the A300/A350?

Articulated, like the Olympus E3, not tilting LCD on Sony A300/A350. but if you insist, i may call it a handicapped articulate LCD.

back to subject, LV is good to have but not essential. but like AF, photographer might one day judge the camera with this feature and count them essential. luckily, OVF offer real advantage LV may never beat--its brighter, less thing to distract you when framing, camera is more stable due to the way we hold to view. etc.

I'm open to new technology, and I can understand why some people just don't like changes. like the AE in the 70's, AF in the 80's and Digital in the 90's, the older photographer just don't like them and came out with every possible reason to say they were junk, the equipment is just a tool, its the man behind the camera that counts, blah blah blah. maybe they should just go all the way back to the very basic and use a pinhole. :bsmilie:

IMO, LV should be made a "must-have" feature, especially in pro-spec'ed bodies, seeing that it would be extremely useful for tethered shooting, no?

I think its a good to have. Most people will still stick to using the VF. I think

I think its a 'nice to have' not a 'must have'.

But of course it depends. If you're a press photographer and often have to joustle for space and shoot with your hands outstretched without looking at the viewfinder, then yes, its essential for you.

If you're a hobbyish who shoots travel and scenic stuff, then maybe not.

Overall, a good to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.