Linksys, Netgear, SMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Astin said:
Ok I got it.
Another question: is there any big difference between 54Mbps router and 108Mbps router? The price of 108Mbps is almost double.....

All those 108,125 or watever "highspeed" router u see out there are base on 54G ...so got difference or not... i guess really base on case to case...lol...
But Belkin Pre-N and linksys SRX which uses the MIMO technology is a different story.... speed wise....i "feel" that is on par with the current 100mbps wire connection.

Buy Huawei Technology? :D Ho-A-ah!

SMC user here.. so far so good.

Against popular believe.. WEP is not as secure as you would like to think it is, your key can be 'guessed' out within 5 mins. Therefore used in combination with SSID hiding (also not abosolute fool proof), and MAC filtering (somewhat better) is a good DETERENT against tapping in by casual - advanced casual users.

yanyewkay said:

Against popular believe.. WEP is not as secure as you would like to think it is, your key can be 'guessed' out within 5 mins. Therefore used in combination with SSID hiding (also not abosolute fool proof), and MAC filtering (somewhat better) is a good DETERENT against tapping in by casual - advanced casual users.
Thanks. I dont mind someone tap in my wireless broadband, but I am more concern if someone hack into my pc or laptop and copy all the files inside, or actually see my monitor screen at real time....(not sure this is the correct way to say it or not)

Astin said:
Thanks. I dont mind someone tap in my wireless broadband, but I am more concern if someone hack into my pc or laptop and copy all the files inside, or actually see my monitor screen at real time....(not sure this is the correct way to say it or not)
Sure? What if the person access websites they're not supposed to? Download illegal software...don't forget, your IP is the one that gets logged by the service provider because you still hold 1 IP!

Astin, if you haven't decide on which brand to go for (I didn't read all posting) do a simple test. Call up each brand tech support and fake a problem with their router. Let's see how their tech support help to solve your ghost problem. That's important 'cos one day (or initial setup) you gonna call them for help. BTW, I uses Linksys WRT54G and think its a great router. Very easy to configure. If you get the Linksys WAG54g, this router has built-in ADSL modem, you've to call Singnet to for additional info to setup the VCI=xxx, Vxx=xxx I think the router/gateway is defaulted to 0 hence it'll not work. May by chance just change the value to 100, it'll probably work.
Whatever you choose, good luck. Don't forget to enable the WEP/WPA and MAC filtering. :)

Astin said:

if you think of it that, then your network is already compromised. the tappers (unauthorised users) can do all sorts of funny works to your network, like downloading illegal software, etc. it's equivalent to having your first layer of defence / protection gone.

the second layer of protection would be to install a good firewall on each of your computers. i recommend ZoneAlarm from Zone Labs (it's free!)

yanyewkay said:

oh...i always thought 128bit wep are hard to guess.... 5mins..... abit too fast liao rite? heehee.... 26hexdecimal....

Status
Not open for further replies.