lens for wedding and portiats??

Guys let's stick to TS limitation. $700 or less.

No point giving him suggestion which doesn't work

U r right, sorry missed out on TS post on buget constraint.

Actually i think Tammy 17-50 f2.8 should suits TS needs, else just rent 17-55 f2.8 USM for the wedding day.

hi and thanks for all the advice given here by everyone,
will stick to current lens with flash and lembercy flash diffuser for the r.o.m shoots.but some question to ask from me:

1)what distance or length to get the effect of let's say 1/2 or 3/4 of people body with blur background effect behind.(cause too near flash will hurt people eyes).
2)what setting to get the above question with clear people and clear background.
(too much setting until blur for me,sometime use av/tv and p mode)blur to use which mode for which funtion.
3)group photo with every people faces looks clear.
4)would 50mm f? helps in the shoots for photographing people?

Last edited:
Just curious: why do you even consider accepting such a job (even if non-commercial and just as goodwill) if you don't know the very basics? Half of your questions can be answered by just reading basic guides and trying out at home. Read your manual, read the newbies guide, understand the functions of your camera and how they affect the image. Practice! No wedding photographer was born as one (ok, some try to disproof it still), it requires more than just camera skills to come up with really good images.
50mm is a great portrait lens - but restricts you in terms of distance. If the people are too close and you can't step back you will miss it. That's why the kit lens with zoom is more helpful here for you.

hi and thanks for the reply,
still trying out the combination with the help of the manuel in hand on the above questions on a lighter(as model).

trying and trying to master the basic and rembering them as well.:)
as should i say (no pain no gain).

thanks for the info for the 50mm lens.

hi there,
Newbee to dslr here.i like to ask if the canon Ef-s 17-85mm is suitable for me to
use with my 500d for taking photograph on my friends r.o.m in the hotel ballroom?
Currently looking into buying afortable len for events like weddings and portraits phototaking.

I am a more on taking photo of sencery and micro objects with below lens.as so first time in taking photograph for people.like to have some advice before puchasing lens.

Currently own lens:canon 18-55mm(kit lens) & 55-250mm.

Thanks for advice given.
mashdash79

hey dude, dun bother investing until u shoot more and know exactly what u need. both your lenses are good enough for weddings. i've done weddings with these 2 lenses when i just started out 7 months ago. what's more impt is get a good flash like 580EXII or 430EXII at least. practise on your flash technique. it will help in your photos a lot more than a lens can. and for portraits...u can try the ef 50 f/1.8 II.

Last edited:
Stick to your current Lens & use the money to buy a powerful FLASH + LightSphere, this will cover you for indoor & outdoor shots.

These 2 items will be your biggest help in my opinion becos I think that lighting will be your biggest problem to tackle & your current lens should covers your needs.

You can go to www.flashdiffuser.com for a rough idea.

GOOD LUCK...;)...God Bless

hi and thanks for the reply,
still trying out the combination with the help of the manuel in hand on the above questions on a lighter(as model).

trying and trying to master the basic and rembering them as well.:)
as should i say (no pain no gain).

thanks for the info for the 50mm lens.

thanks for the advice,
brushing up on basic skill every freetime i have.just change from compact camera to dslr last year.
huge jump for me.as u go futher in to it .many new thing regurding the setting or len even flashes plays in the art of photography.:

lots of concideration along the way for me as chosing the third lens that i should get.tamrom 15-70mm/50mm/f1.8/24-70mm lens.so many to choose.but with limited cash.:think:

so shoot more test more.

thanks for the advice,
brushing up on basic skill every freetime i have.just change from compact camera to dslr last year.
huge jump for me.as u go futher in to it .many new thing regurding the setting or len even flashes plays in the art of photography.:

lots of concideration along the way for me as chosing the third lens that i should get.tamrom 15-70mm/50mm/f1.8/24-70mm lens.so many to choose.but with limited cash.:think:

so shoot more test more.

Shooting blindly is also not a good solution, maybe you can post some pics in the Critic & seek some advise from the "LAU CHIAO" to help you improve after you take the wedding shots.

Don't worry abt Lenses as they will always be there when you have acquired sufficient funds for them & don't be surprised that the ppl with less funds are usually the more creative ones. I once met a guy who used an instant noodles bowl with a cover as a Light Sphere...DAMN I WAS IMPRESSED!!! :bsmilie:

The other thing I forgot to mention is the White Balance, you might want to look into that b4 you go for the wedding shots.

I wish you success & post some pics for us to see...;)

Last edited:
some shots i took at the chinese garden,with 18-55mm with 55-250mm lens.any coments are welcome.
DPP_0325.JPG
DPP_0342.JPG
DPP_0343.JPG
DPP_0357.JPG
DPP_0361.JPG

Last edited:
Hi bro,
Go practice shooting a scene with people under lighting conditions similar to the kind that you'll be expecting at the wedding- guess that way you will be more accustomed and prepared for the day of the shoot! find the right timing to capture those memorable
emotions just as you'll like to for the wedding. yea,and play ard with ur AWB..i think grey card and all that (can go read up- ive never done a wedding before i cant comment) :p

have fun, happy shooting! :D