L Lens now available for Nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.
whkoh said:
Think only the 28-70 and 70-200 have the white versions for zooms.

For primes, the 300, 400 and 500 all have white versions.

Technically "light grey". ;p
Sigh.. don't think I will be able to afford them now.. :(

yanyewkay said:
any technical reasons for the 'grey' colour?

Canon uses white to keep the lens 'cool' so the flourite element can retain it's optical properties.

Nikon use some form of same material?

It's one for the collectors - nothing more nothing less.

yanyewkay said:
any technical reasons for the 'grey' colour?

Canon uses white to keep the lens 'cool' so the flourite element can retain it's optical properties.

Nikon use some form of same material?

I dun think there is a technical reason, besides seeing a sea of white teles in a sports event. Besides, not many L has florite elements. Florite crystal elements are hard to produce and expensive.

AFAIK, as long as it's white for Canon, it uses flourite. The white keeps the heat away and prevents the flourite from deforming the elements.

28-70L has flourite also, but the body is smaller thus no need for white. 17-40L too.

As for Nikon, it's just asthethic reasons.

espn said:
AFAIK, as long as it's white for Canon, it uses flourite. The white keeps the heat away and prevents the flourite from deforming the elements.

28-70L has flourite also, but the body is smaller thus no need for white. 17-40L too.

not just heat..

Nasa didnt use canon cause flourite cannot take the vibration during launch. the flourite elements shatter during launch.

even if not shatter during launch, the flourite cannot be subjected to drastic change. eg. +10 to -10 in 1 sec. the flourite element cracked. i cant remember the where i read it. so dont ask me where is the link..

as for camera bodies.. long before canon started to use titanium shutters, canon shutters were proven to burn and making a hole in the shutter. when taking pictures in space. as long as canon continues to use flourite in the lenses, canon will never reach space intact.. as claimed by nasa.

anka said:
not just heat..

Nasa didnt use canon cause flourite cannot take the vibration during launch. the flourite elements shatter during launch.

even if not shatter during launch, the flourite cannot be subjected to drastic change. eg. +10 to -10 in 1 sec. the flourite element cracked. i cant remember the where i read it. so dont ask me where is the link..

as for camera bodies.. long before canon started to use titanium shutters, canon shutters were proven to burn and making a hole in the shutter. when taking pictures in space. as long as canon continues to use flourite in the lenses, canon will never reach space intact.. as claimed by nasa.

Heng ah! Luckily I use Nikon, now can bring my D70 to space already. :bsmilie:

markccm said:
Nikon users can now use L lenses for their Nikon bodies.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

54032586.jpg

AFS80-200 version :bsmilie:

TMC said:
first you travel back in time and then get a plane ticket to go to Japan. :bsmilie:
can book with u since ur beyond space-time?

the tone of grey is very light.
it is almost white.

anyway TMC, careful with the white hood.
that one really hard to find, unless u can find in Japan lah.

markccm said:
the tone of grey is very light.
it is almost white.

anyway TMC, careful with the white hood.
that one really hard to find, unless u can find in Japan lah.
Don't worry, he can always look for the WHITE AH NEH to purchase black/white 80-200 hoods.

I will, thinking of picking up a black hood just to preserve my original hood :bsmilie: or maybe up pick up the metal version if I can find one.

TMC said:
I will, thinking of picking up a black hood just to preserve my original hood :bsmilie: or maybe up pick up the metal version if I can find one.
MTL, just do it!

TMC said:

really have metal version ah?:bigeyes:

if u find, tell me ;)

espn said:

Not true. You will be surprised on the number of flourite lenses when you read Canon's Lenswork. Flourite element is brittle, it cracks rather than deforms.

markccm said:
really have metal version ah?:bigeyes:

if u find, tell me ;)
Wah the WHITE AH NEH going to *CENSOR* *CENSOR* *CENSOR* ????

Status
Not open for further replies.