Kwek Leng Joo became photographer to save cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsbn said:
I believe some Ministers are probably into that.

Juz a couple of months ago, I saw Mah Bow Tan at Macritchie with his camera and one of his personal guards. Smiled at him. Give him the benefit of doubt, I assume he's an avid photographer.

Still I dun see any issue on that.

I'm refering THE Mr Lee (senior) lah :sticktong

If It was me, and I wanted to but 22MP digital backs "like candy", I would give this reason as well.

I see nothing strange if ministers were into photography. It is a hobby.

CYRN said:
Lao Lee?

Read frm his memoirs that he used to be an avid photographer when he was in Cambridge UK.

Wonder wad camera he used... Hmm... :think: Hasselblad?

zaren said:
nothing *wrong* with it...just *strange* thats all. since the reason given by CDL is to "save costs".

e.g. bill gates would actually be losing money if he stopped for a moment to pick up a $100 bill lying on the pavement.

strange that a huge public listed company like CDL did not consider the opportunity costs. :)

CDL is a very big organisation, taking photos for just the year book alone would have cost quite abit. Anyway a small saving is a saving anyway, what's more he can turn that saving into 'new toys' ... why not? ;p

is he still into photography? his cambridge days was more than 50 years ago.

CYRN said:

it was for desktop calendar. max 12 shots? how much would it cost to buy 12 stock images?

eikin said:
CDL is a very big organisation, taking photos for just the year book alone would have cost quite abit. Anyway a small saving is a saving anyway, what's more he can turn that saving into 'new toys' ... why not? ;p

reachme2003 said:
it was for desktop calendar. max 12 shots? how much would it cost to buy 12 stock images?

well i'm thinking that he may not have just worked on the calender, nothing's mention beyond that 'job' but there's always the possibility. somemore prolly they don't want stock images? who knows if he is in charged of the design as well?

come to think of it, if he were to shoot CDL's annual reports, the savings would not be insignificant.

Ordinary folks like us, serious amateurs and pro alike love photography. The likes of KLJ can also have the same passion for photo like us. Another might be a very keen golfer or a big time womaniser or love Ferrari cars, a yacht, even private jet etc.....

He shoots for fun and along the way, said that it saves him money - more like saying it for fun too - not to be taken seriously. Among those hobbies, photography very cheap leh, for the super-rich. :bsmilie: :bigeyes:

I thought the picture of the little girl that he took wasn't REALLY worth that much attention. But that's just my poor-man's amateurish view. :sticktong

my friend has his book. it's got lots of pictures of china. he talks about taking trips to mountains and things like that, I think his enthusiasm is commendable. You should read the way he talks about photography, he's got very genuine love for it. The more photographers we have published, the better. I think we should be happy for him yah, instead of feeling bitter just because he's rich ;)
I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if you got all sorts of snide comments from other people just because you're wealthy

smallaperture said:
Ordinary folks like us, serious amateurs and pro alike love photography. The likes of KLJ can also have the same passion for photo like us. Another might be a very keen golfer or a big time womaniser or love Ferrari cars, a yacht, even private jet etc.....

He shoots for fun and along the way, said that it saves him money - more like saying it for fun too - not to be taken seriously. Among those hobbies, photography very cheap leh, for the super-rich. :bsmilie: :bigeyes:
Nah... Rich people. U know them.

One minute they can say that they are passionate about photography, rushing out to buy a 22MP Digital Back, or a 1DsMkII with 3 L lens in cash. Next moment, u hear them say that they are passionate about cars, and u see them buy a Ferrari, no road tax, put in garage to look nice.

I guess we can never keep up with all these weird quirks rich people have.... They can afford it after all. Poor ppl have to make do with what we have.

But he can sure do some charity, and spare me some $20K to buy a 1DMkII, a 70-200, a new G5 PowerMac with 20" ACD and a backpack trip to Japan for a year. :D After all, his 1mth's pay is sufficient to keep him and his family out of reservist for the next 20 generations? :eek:

Sigh... If thats the case, he muz have plenty of good karma accumulated in his past life methinks. :(

Muz do more good things if u want a good next life. :D

jsbn said:

One minute they can say that they are passionate about photography, rushing out to buy a 22MP Digital Back, or a 1DsMkII with 3 L lens in cash. Next moment, u hear them say that they are passionate about cars, and u see them buy a Ferrari, no road tax, put in garage to look nice.

I guess we can never keep up with all these weird quirks rich people have.... They can afford it after all. Poor ppl have to make do with what we have.

But he can sure do some charity, and spare me some $20K to buy a 1DMkII, a 70-200, a new G5 PowerMac with 20" ACD and a backpack trip to Japan for a year. :D After all, his 1mth's pay is sufficient to keep him and his family out of reservist for the next 20 generations? :eek:

haha jsbn I like the way you put it. Echoes my views! ;p

So here we all are, with our PCs/notebooks, mobile phones, SLRs, DSLRs, P&S, aircon rooms, running hot/cold clean water, fridges and etc. eating into our opportunity cost of not earning more $$$ for ourselves instead of contemplating the lifestyles of others and wondering if live is greener on the other bank accounts. :)

Hmmm... I wonder if a farmer in Indonesia earning less than US$30 a year thinks of us a sour bunch of KLJ grapes. :) Too bad, we won't know their opinions as they don't have their own PCs/notebooks, not to mention internet subscription enough to feed their family for a week. ;)

jsbn said:

I think you should find out more about his photography before dissing him
there is one incident related where he has to go to korea to make a speech, so on touching down he quickly takes a trip to the mountains to take some photos before rushing back to deliver the speech before flying back to singapore for work the next day
he definitely sounds more passionate than alot of people I know

you just sound bitter and jaded, putting down anyone who has it better than you in life. maybe some of these rich people worked their ass off to get where they are.

Well, he could afford it... a trip to the mountains.

Salute him for his passion towards photography, but den need to say until, "Oh the last time, juz 5hrs before I was scheduled for a opening keynote for a business seminar in New York, I flew to the mountains in Nepal and grabbed this great shot of the Himalayas. I quickly caught a private jet and reached there just in time for my seminar."

Yes, it shows his extreme passion for photography. We all know how long it is to fly from Nepal to New York.

Unfortunately, is there any need to say in specifics, "where did you go and do to take this shot?"

I'm sure most (or all of us) would certainly like to shuttle around, taking pix all over the world. A dream prolly even u and I can't realise even if we worked out guts out.

Call me sour grapes, call me jealous, but is there even a need to flaunt stuff like dat? ;)

For now, I'm contented with what life has to offer. A stable job and all whilst I hear people unemployed for 6mths and so on.

jsbn said:
Well, he could afford it... a trip to the mountains.

Salute him for his passion towards photography, but den need to say until, "Oh the last time, juz 5hrs before I was scheduled for a opening keynote for a business seminar in New York, I flew to the mountains in Nepal and grabbed this great shot of the Himalayas. I quickly caught a private jet and reached there just in time for my seminar."

Yes, it shows his extreme passion for photography. We all know how long it is to fly from Nepal to New York.

Unfortunately, is there any need to say in specifics, "where did you go and do to take this shot?"

I'm sure most (or all of us) would certainly like to shuttle around, taking pix all over the world. A dream prolly even u and I can't realise even if we worked out guts out.

Call me sour grapes, call me jealous, but is there even a need to flaunt stuff like dat? ;)

For now, I'm contented with what life has to offer. A stable job and all whilst I hear people unemployed for 6mths and so on.

why is that considered flaunting? he's just sharing his personal experience. :dunno:

Has someone forgot to tell him that you only need to pay $2 for a postcard that look exactly like what he shot, if not betta? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.