[kuantoh] Travelogue - Our Honeymoon in Switzerland 2011

6217831308_649ce799b9_b.jpg

20-09-11: Arrival in Zermatt. The village is situated at the end of Mattertal at an altitude of 1,620 m (5,310 ft), at the feet of Switzerland's highest peaks. It's a combustion-engine car free village, and the vehicles you see here do not run on petrol and are the only means of transport within the village itself. But Zermatt is small enough to explore on foot within a few hours so there was no real need for taking them unless you happen to be lazy to walk or carry loads of baggage.​

6217312561_e47f6373f8_b.jpg

20-09-11: Arrival in Zermatt, time was not wasted and immediately we head to board the Gornergratbahn up to Gornergrat. This shot was taken just as the Gornergratbahn was ascending away from Zermatt. The views of the village in the valleys with Matterhorn in the background was simply magnificent.​

6217313595_f7cb64ce08_b.jpg

20-09-11: Midway through the ascent to Gornergrat, this shot was taken after Riffelalp station heading to Rotenboden.​

Last edited:

6217833998_bb3b1f9885_o.jpg

20-09-11: Panorama stitch of 3 shots of Zermatt and the Alps with Riffelalp in the foreground.​

6217315537_cae8c23f31_b.jpg

20-09-11: Hotel Riffelberg and Zermatt in the background. There are so many pleasing angles for shots and I did try to stop taking photos but some angles just present too much temptation to resist.​

6219546063_b34d8d5208_o.jpg

20-09-11: View from Gornergrat Observatory. The views of the various glaciers were really beautiful. The Gornergrat is located between the Gornergletscher and Findelgletscher and offers a view of more than 20 four thousand metre peaks, whose highest are Monte Rosa, Lyskamm, Matterhorn, Dom and Weisshorn. On the left hand side, just above the small glacier lake is Monte Rosa Hut (a white spot just above the small glacier pool in the northeast direction). On the right hand most corner is Matterhorn.​

6219546197_12c2c9a49f_b.jpg

20-09-11: While construction works are happening at a slope around the observatory, had the chance to snap a quick shot of the helicopter transporting the debris of rocks away from construction site with the backdrop of mountains. It's really amazing how much effort was made just to clear debris bit by bit from constructions in mountains.​

Lovely weather! Super envy. Camping.

Lovely images of the Alps! Remind me of my hike and wild camping from Trockener Steg back to Zermatt. And yes, that same helicopter was there too! :bsmilie:

Thanks for sharing, look forward to more. :D

Lovely weather! Super envy. Camping.

Yup. End summer was quite a great time to go with lesser crowds and great weather. The last few days in Zurich were misty and foggy...

Lovely images of the Alps! Remind me of my hike and wild camping from Trockener Steg back to Zermatt. And yes, that same helicopter was there too! :bsmilie:

Thanks for sharing, look forward to more. :D

Thanks :) That heli may be there for more months or even years. Lol... Glad it bring back memories of that hike you took.

6223767300_84db3ddd2b_b.jpg

20-09-11: 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat. Panorama stitch of 10 shots from the observatory with 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat in centre. At 3089meters, it is the highest hotel in the Swiss alps and possess an observatory for stargazing at night. Quite amazed at how Swiss are able to construct such structures so high in the mountains against the winds and colds and UV rays. Much thought must have gone into building all of them.​

6223767968_8e998c1a7d_b.jpg

20-09-11: Nothing beats a beer and a coffee at 3189meters after a short hike and strong winds and taking in the sceneries.​

6223769058_3173ebdfd9_b.jpg

20-09-11: My wife tried to cheekily kiss me while I took a shot of 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat. I had another shot without her but I felt this shot was pretty candid. :)

6226394857_98272a176b_b.jpg

20-09-11: Shot of the Gornergrat station with the hotel in background waiting for the next train down to Riffelsee lake where we will hike a short while to Riffelsee lake for sunset. It may seem like noon but its actually evening. Winds were howling and temperatures were dropping.​

6226913374_c33b1bc3c2_b.jpg

20-09-11: When I have my kids I do want to be like this papa, bring his kid to the mountains. It's a common sight to see non-Asian kids in their prams with their parents. I even met 2 mothers hiking from Rigi First to Rigi Kulm with 2 baby prams up 45 degrees slope. Really amazing...​

6226398467_4ab2e69679_b.jpg

20-09-11: It was a 10minutes hike down to Riffelsee lake from Rotenboden station. The sun was still pretty high at 1830hrs and was creating pretty heavy lens flare directly through the lens. Zermatt outline could not be made out on the left side but the colors on the hills and the reflections in the lakes was too beautiful. Riffelsee lake was indeed a beauty but sunrise was supposedly the better option but no train was going up there in the morning unless we camped there overnight but it's a no no for honeymoon. So I opted for sunset and was almost disappointed as the backlit was extremely strong but the reflections and the colors more than made up for it. Panorama created from stitching 13 vertical shots.​

OMG SO AMAZING!!!! Did you use ND gradient filter? Color, quality, clarity, tone are very RICH!!!

6226398467_4ab2e69679_b.jpg

20-09-11: It was a 10minutes hike down to Riffelsee lake from Rotenboden station. The sun was still pretty high at 1830hrs and was creating pretty heavy lens flare directly through the lens. Zermatt outline could not be made out on the left side but the colors on the hills and the reflections in the lakes was too beautiful. Riffelsee lake was indeed a beauty but sunrise was supposedly the better option but no train was going up there in the morning unless we camped there overnight but it's a no no for honeymoon. So I opted for sunset and was almost disappointed as the backlit was extremely strong but the reflections and the colors more than made up for it. Panorama created from stitching 13 vertical shots.​

looks like you have nice blue sky throughout your trip ........
lucky fellow. :)

OMG SO AMAZING!!!! Did you use ND gradient filter? Color, quality, clarity, tone are very RICH!!!

Thanks. The lighting was great that day. No GNDs utilized as that may have resulted in inconsistencies in the stitching and moreover, the difference in horizons makes usage of GNDs in this scenario not feasible.

looks like you have nice blue sky throughout your trip ........
lucky fellow. :)

Had a nice couple of days in this area with blue skies but when u r so high up above the clouds, the skies are definitely clear. Lol... Next Sat I got visa, can organise a shoot if want.