Kodak Ektar 100

Anthony Lee

Feb 12, 2009
Shunfu Road, Singapore
Hi,

I will be spending 7 days at Lake Kenyir this July doing mostly nature shots and intend using Kodak's Ektar 100 (35mm). I have not used this film before but read alot about it. Are there any other alternatives? Thanks and regards

Can try the Ektachrome E100VS or E100G

Or Fuji's Velvia and Provia series.

I've not tried the above mentioned slide films before, but I like the vibrant colours and almost grain-free property of Ektar 100. But do shoot a test roll before your trip in case it's not to your liking.

Thanks guys. Was using Lucky 100 & 200 the last 2 years and would like to try the new Ektar 100 which I used to like in the past. Will pick up both the Ektar and Fuji Velvia and see how they perform on my Pentax MX.

Anthony Lee said:
Thanks guys. Was using Lucky 100 & 200 the last 2 years and would like to try the new Ektar 100 which I used to like in the past. Will pick up both the Ektar and Fuji Velvia and see how they perform on my Pentax MX.

You will fall in love with Ektar.
I do think that it is on the warmer side and agree that Velvia may be better suited.

Anyone experienced any colour shifts whilst using the velvia 50? I tend to get this cold purple cast when dealing with long exposures.
I use provia 400 most of the time for convienence...

Please note: ektar 100 and ektachrome 100 is different product.
Color Neg and colour slide.

Go for it Anthony, have a try at Ektar 100... i'm sure you'll like it!

I have some shots here, mainly my kids, on Ektar 100...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/starpucks/tags/ektar100/

Thanks. How thus this compare to Fuji Velvia? Which is the best place to process and scan this film? Must meet up with you guys one day as I have lost touch with the film fraternity. When I did shoot film, it was just process and print but did try some scanning at Color centre and didn't like a bit. Since I am using CS5, I will prefer to scan in tiff if this is available anywhere. Many thanks again.

Actually, in my experience with Ektar and Portra, if there's a difference, it's very minute. Trouble with scanning, is that the colors applied are very software driven and to some limited extent film driven.

Anthony, just to share with you a shot taken over the weekend using Ektar 100 albeit with a rangefinder...

Some of my Ektar shots as well:

5804017627_7218053e01_z.jpg

5804575272_cd003dea14_z.jpg

5804018329_cfe93929a5_z.jpg

Bros, does Ektar have a weird tone? I got mine from the labs and the colors are...ermm weird.

This is an example
5577466932_a4a0d1743f_z.jpg

Here is another...do you think the lab processed it wrongly or what?

5571316412_43476aea08_z.jpg

Bros, does Ektar have a weird tone? I got mine from the labs and the colors are...ermm weird.

This is an example
5577466932_a4a0d1743f_z.jpg

Colors vary depending on how you apply to your scan.

Very impressed with all the Ektar 100 shots. It's warmer than Fuji's Velvia and I like it this way, just like my preference for Pentax and Nikon rendering over Canon in DSLR. Many thanks again for your contribution.

Hmmm.. how come all the Ektar shots here look different from mine?

it's just fine.

in action, inaction.

1930s.

I like my output though.

The good thing about negatives is that the exposure latitude is a lot larger than slides, and more forgiving. It's always nice to say "oh use Velvia, Provia", etc, but those are subjected to having the scene properly exposed, along with a good selection of a scene with dynamic range that suits the slides. Remember that slide film's dynamic range is not only a lot smaller than negative films, but also smaller than even current digital sensors. And a bad shot will be a bad shot, unrecoverable in photoshop.

With negatives, you not only can recover a bad shot in PS, there's a good chance that you can extend the dynamic range of the photo through photoshop, if you know what you're doing.

I think TS could do well with Ektar... it's a wonderful film (and I bought >10 rolls for my upcoming trip).