Kit lens or not?

SkyStrike said:
I can more or less assure you that 18-200 is a beauty when you are on a holiday (esp those that are with tour group). I was quite busy changing lens every now and then during my holiday.

Actually, if you will be getting the 55-250 too, I do recommend giving the kit 3 a thought. IIRC, the difference is ~300, but there's also the weight factor to take into consideration.

18-200 -> 595g
18-55 & 55-250-> 200g, 390g (total: 590g)

When at times you know that you won't need to tele, shedding some weight from your neck is very nice with 18-55, but it comes with a cost of convenience when you need to tele far on some other occasions. With the 18-200, you will have to bear the weight wherever you go whether you need the focal length or not (which is not really an issue for many of us, or at least for me).

I think I will like the 18-200 as I have been using the 12x zoom on S5 IS for a few years :)

On the other hand I'm thinking of getting a better zoom (better optics than 18-200) after I learn the basic with the 18-55.

What do you think?

I think I will like the 18-200 as I have been using the 12x zoom on S5 IS for a few years :)

On the other hand I'm thinking of getting a better zoom (better optics than 18-200) after I learn the basic with the 18-55.

What do you think?

It's not a bad idea too. Some find 18-55 sufficient for all their needs that they don't even have to go tele. I currently find my setup quite "complete". Other than at times find it troublesome to keep changing lens.

*btw, if you are concerned abt the no. times zoom, S5 = 12x zoom = 72mm (I think so, based on the image), 55-250 = 5x zoom*

SkyStrike said:
It's not a bad idea too. Some find 18-55 sufficient for all their needs that they don't even have to go tele. I currently find my setup quite "complete". Other than at times find it troublesome to keep changing lens.

*btw, if you are concerned abt the no. times zoom, S5 = 12x zoom = 72mm (I think so, based on the image), 55-250 = 5x zoom*

Frankly I have little idea how comfortable I am with changing lens on the go since I have zero experience with DSLR hehe. Hence I guess it's wiser to go kit + cheap 50mm to experience the hassle of changing lens and determine how much I can tahan :D

Frankly I have little idea how comfortable I am with changing lens on the go since I have zero experience with DSLR hehe. Hence I guess it's wiser to go kit + cheap 50mm to experience the hassle of changing lens and determine how much I can tahan :D

I doubt you will be changing lens that much with 18-55 and 50mm since the focal length is covered already. If you are changing it, it will be for the f1.8 isolation or those creative shots (this depends on when your creative brain cells kicks in).

And it's also about dirt and dust (d&d) that irritate me also (esp when it lands on the mirror, more so when it lands on sensors) when changing lens. Since the no. of times I spent on changing lens on the go is quite high, the possibility of d&d landing on mirror/sensor is also higher. Some dirt can be cleaned off easily (e.g. hair, threads), some are not (those landed on sensor). I was lucky not to get any dirt on the sensors during my last 13d holiday trip.

I was busy changing between 18-55 to 55-250 (take 2-3 shots) then back to 18-55 (shoot another 3-5 shots). Reached another tourist area, repeat cycle...some places are very windy and changing lens is really not advisable.

I doubt you will be changing lens that much with 18-55 and 50mm since the focal length is covered already. If you are changing it, it will be for the f1.8 isolation or those creative shots (this depends on when your creative brain cells kicks in).

And it's also about dirt and dust (d&d) that irritate me also (esp when it lands on the mirror, more so when it lands on sensors) when changing lens. Since the no. of times I spent on changing lens on the go is quite high, the possibility of d&d landing on mirror/sensor is also higher. Some dirt can be cleaned off easily (e.g. hair, threads), some are not (those landed on sensor). I was lucky not to get any dirt on the sensors during my last 13d holiday trip.

I was busy changing between 18-55 to 55-250 (take 2-3 shots) then back to 18-55 (shoot another 3-5 shots). Reached another tourist area, repeat cycle...some places are very windy and changing lens is really not advisable.

I see! Thanks for the tip. I forgot the lens have overlapping focal length. You are right. Maybe only when I want to isolate the subject for a bokeh shot then I will change lens...hehe :D

Being a newbie the thought of having both nice prime and tele is super tempting :p

This is how bbb virus grows too. When you love the 50 1.8 alot, you will probably go for 17-50/55 in the future.

This is how bbb virus grows too. When you love the 50 1.8 alot, you will probably go for 17-50/55 in the future.

Haha...BBB virus is deadly. Back in 2007 when I bought the S5 IS I avoided it. Now it's really coming back.

After reading your comments about 18-200mm I must say I'm reconsidering getting the Kit 3. I guess it's always good to have a decent all purpose zoom lens with long focal range as I do travel overseas with camera. And then...time to tahan BBB virus :D

Haha...BBB virus is deadly. Back in 2007 when I bought the S5 IS I avoided it. Now it's really coming back.

After reading your comments about 18-200mm I must say I'm reconsidering getting the Kit 3. I guess it's always good to have a decent all purpose zoom lens with long focal range as I do travel overseas with camera. And then...time to tahan BBB virus :D

Just don't keep your hopes too high in keeping the BBB in sleep mode. Once you let it wake up, you may end up with 11-16 + 17-55 + 70-200 :devil:

After using the 18-200 for a certain period of time, you will be able to find out what you want in focal length by looking at your photos.

Last edited:
The BBB virus is contagious now. PC Show time! Time to check out the shops (not the show) :)