Kit lens or not?

I still think the best way to prevent fungus is constant use! Else flood your entire cabinet with high power UV light!

:bigeyes:
errrr..... isn't a dry cabinet cheaper in that case? It's not particularly expensive and costs a pittance to run. The only real issue I feel, is the lack of aesthetic quality and the size.

yes of course constant use is ideal.

:bigeyes:
errrr..... isn't a dry cabinet cheaper in that case? It's not particularly expensive and costs a pittance to run. The only real issue I feel, is the lack of aesthetic quality and the size.

yes of course constant use is ideal.

Haha! Of course that would be cheaper! I did get myself one though. I find it funny how people in Singapore are really kia si beyond words when it comes to things like this... You end up worrying more on how to protect your gear rather than enjoy it. Of course there has to be some minimal protection to prolong the item's life but some things are really just overdoing it...:sweat:

I reckon Kit Lens I only has max 3x zoom.

3x zoom better than ur 50mm manual zoom right? :bsmilie:

i'll say go for 2nd hand kit lens and 50mm.. then when you eventually upgrade to 18-200 and say 50mm f/1.4, you can sell off and not so heart pain lor..

Ahhh.......................oh ya :embrass: Thanks for the correction crystal ;)
Got carried away with the bokeh thingy.................:confused: ...............:bsmilie:

Well, it depends on what's your genre. If you are a bokeh guy, then go for the 50mm.
Shooting a 18-55mm @55mm @f3.5 might, I say might, give you some bokeh.

Sure or not your kit lens @55mm give you F3.5?
Aiya, you never read the above post meh? Geez..................:rolleyes:

He means he's already been corrected and acknowledged the mistake. All happened last night -- see top of page 2 ;)

Hahaha thanks ok read there cause open alot of tabs read alot of other things, not sure whether to take kit lens or 3rd party lens also

Hahaha thanks ok read there cause open alot of tabs read alot of other things, not sure whether to take kit lens or 3rd party lens also

If you're unsure, get the kit lens from B&S, then when you want to upgrade, you're not going to be losing any money at all. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me :)
That's what I did too >.< You'll find the wide angle part really useful when you need it.

Yup I sort of need the wider part since I can't take pictures of old school using just a 35mm hahaha

I'd say go for the kit lens.

The kit lens in the first place, is more versatile than the 50mm f1.8 II. And besides, if you wanna get the 50mm later on, its not that expensive.

And you gotta think about the time when you are saving for the 18-200. What are you gonna do with just a 50mm f1.8 during that time.

Best solution currently , min spend.. Future may change u mind on 28-200, aft gain experience

machiavellian said:
what's up with 50mm these days? Go for the 35mm!

Coz it's damm cheap, thats why....

If you are a newbie, go stick with the Kit lens, and learn everything you can about the possibilities and limitations of the Kit lens first. You may read about people dumping their kit lens, but personally, I feel that you have not found out about the versatility of the lens yet.

Remember, it is not equipment, but the person behind the camera that matters. Also, train your eyes first before you plonk any money on upgrading.

Wherever I go, I still pack my kit lens for those situations when any of the other lenses fail.

HTH. Cheers!

dingaroo said:
If you are a newbie, go stick with the Kit lens, and learn everything you can about the possibilities and limitations of the Kit lens first. You may read about people dumping their kit lens, but personally, I feel that you have not found out about the versatility of the lens yet.

Remember, it is not equipment, but the person behind the camera that matters. Also, train your eyes first before you plonk any money on upgrading.

Wherever I go, I still pack my kit lens for those situations when any of the other lenses fail.

HTH. Cheers!

I'm still my kit lens. Lol.

Still learning.... Lots to learn before going on to other lenses

I'm also a newbie considering my first DSLR too. I'm not sure if it helps but I was thinking of going through all the photos I took over the years with my current Canon S5 IS then analyse my photograph style (which I'm not sure too! haha). After that I will consider what I wanted to shoot with the DSLR. I'm looking forward to shoot better portraits, group photos, kids in action, indoor events and some videos. I like narrow DOF (bokeh) very much :)

After spending days reading reviews of lens I'm still apprehensive of spending thousands on lens. Although I really love to have lens like 17-55mm f2.8 but I don't think I'm ready for it yet. Hence I have kind of decided to go for 18-55mm kit lens to learn basic tele, and 50mm f1.8 to learn how to shoot with a prime. Is it a good idea? :)

Last edited:
Having 18-55 & 50mm, won't go wrong. For basic tele, consider also 55-250 (cost ~250 in B&S) to go along with 18-55...just have to bear with the changing lens when 55mm not enough..

I see. Sounds great! Prior to doing homework I was thinking of Canon 60D Kit 3 (18-200mm) but now I realised I seldom zoom very far on my Canon S5 IS actually :)

Having 18-55 & 50mm, won't go wrong. For basic tele, consider also 55-250 (cost ~250 in B&S) to go along with 18-55...just have to bear with the changing lens when 55mm not enough..

I see. Sounds great! Prior to doing homework I was thinking of Canon 60D Kit 3 (18-200mm) but now I realised I seldom zoom very far on my Canon S5 IS actually :)

I can more or less assure you that 18-200 is a beauty when you are on a holiday (esp those that are with tour group). I was quite busy changing lens every now and then during my holiday.

Actually, if you will be getting the 55-250 too, I do recommend giving the kit 3 a thought. IIRC, the difference is ~300, but there's also the weight factor to take into consideration.

18-200 -> 595g
18-55 & 55-250-> 200g, 390g (total: 590g)

When at times you know that you won't need to tele, shedding some weight from your neck is very nice with 18-55, but it comes with a cost of convenience when you need to tele far on some other occasions. With the 18-200, you will have to bear the weight wherever you go whether you need the focal length or not (which is not really an issue for many of us, or at least for me).