Kids nowadays.

I've met my fair share of irresponsible kids but this one takes the cake

A 16 year old wanted to join us for an internship. He's been asking around for some sort of internship so he can learn from "seniors", and all other flowery nonsense that you can find here in this forum if you look...

So we offered a standard $500 per month internship for 2.5 months. (based on poly internship rates)
He came in for 3 days and then left, leaving this sms:

"Hi sorry if this is too sudden. I wanted to leave this for tomorrow, but I decided that I don't want it to affect the new assistants. I've decided to quit this job. I won't ask for my 3 days of pay either. I'll take it as that I worked for exposure.

I have more than enough reasons to quit. Firstly being that the distance, which is too far and coupled with the timing, I don't even have time for myself after work each day. I know it's just the 2nd day in the office, but I know I won't be able to take it on a long-term basis. Secondly, it's just not my type of job. Also, I'd like to be honest here. The pay is just too little. After deducting the Sundays and Saturdays' half days, I work for 198 hours each month. In other words, I am earning $2.50 per hour. Taking $4 each for lunch and dinner, $2 for breakfast and $0.45x4 for transportation, I would be left with $10.70 each day. But even if you give me a pay rise, not having time for myself is enough to keep me off. On top of that, I have to spend time with my family and mygirlfriend too. My parents support my decision as well. I apologise if I caused any inconvenience for tomorrow's meeting.

...Please do not bother calling to talk things out. My decision is already made."

funnily today I was telling my associate that I should be charging him for learning from us professionals.

wow I haven't felt this publicly bitchy in awhile.

Sounds like a spoilt brat.

Instead of thinking what can he learn and what can he contribute, all the while his calculating how much you are paying him? Before even proofing himself to be a contributor, he wants to get rewards already. Dud he really did those petty calculations with you?

The world is indeed changing. Our generation is at fault and responsible too. Kids nowadays are brought up by maids. They bully their teachers and their maids and they never knew hardship. When faced with a little challenge, they find an escape then find an excuse then finally find someone or something to blame.

They are like these because our generations neglected their moral education.

Sad but true. That's why we have soldiers with maids carrying their bag. I see that act as an insult to the country. I hope he was court marshaled and punished to the fullest extend of the law.

Sorry to drift off topic but I feel sorry for your 3 days of trouble whoever that boy brought you.

Last edited:
It's all part of the "spoonfeed me" attitude.

The world is indeed changing. Our generation is at fault and responsible too. Kids nowadays are brought up by maids. They bully their teachers and their maids and they never knew hardship. When faced with a little challenge, they find an escape then find an excuse then finally find someone or something to blame.
I have to disagree that it has to do with maids, etc.. I never had a maid beyond age 3 or 4, I think, but I do know many friends who are very hands-on and are not spoilt even though they have a maid. It is a matter of how the parents educate their kid, and how the parents and the kid treat the maid. Is the maid an extension as the body, or really, just support for household chores?

But that aside, I think all of us, whether it's teenagers, young adults, adults, can take for granted many of the things that we have. Perhaps it's just society, we demand more, more, more; and forget that there are many simple things in life which we should be grateful and content for. That said, positive progress is always good, so there has to be a balance.

Children take flying fox to school

Wonder how mattlock's intern would say if he had to take a flying fox to get out of the house every morning.

Sounds like a spoilt brat.

Instead of thinking what can he learn and what can he contribute, all the while his calculating how much you are paying him? Before even proofing himself to be a contributor, he wants to get rewards already. Dud he really did those petty calculations with you?

They are like these because our generations neglected their moral education.

Sad but true. That's why we have soldiers with maids carrying their bag. I see that act as an insult to the country. I hope he was court marshaled and punished to the fullest extend of the law.

Sorry to drift off topic but I feel sorry for your 3 days of trouble whoever that boy brought you.

don't overgeneralise. this was probably an odd case/rare incident. just because it happens once, doesn't mean it is a trend.

Last edited:
Wonder how mattlock's intern would say if he had to take a flying fox to get out of the house every morning.

he will say, "thats pretty cool. if i can just get my girlfriend to cling on me while i fox my way out."

don't overgeneralise. this was probably an odd case/rare incident. just because it happens once, doesn't mean it is a trend.

Aiyah... nothing new... every generation has said that the following one "cannot make it", "not as tough as us".

Looks like gotta sit in a gunny sack ... not all that romantic leh

Royale With Cheese said:
Last time when I was an intern back in those days.

$250 per month 5.5 day week
Cant really cover bus fare & makan lei but also LL coz I needed the damn grades.............

My friend even more unlucky. Internship with no pay, no choice but have to do it for the grades

So sorry to see that.....i just feel this might be what our society is heading, looking at my own kid, everything is provided the moment she is born, we will need to think hard to make them earn what they needs, but frankly with the only kid at home, they will be spoilt one way of the other so at the end, we just go easy.

On the silver lining, at least he is honest to trash things out with u rather than playing those mc and no show stunts :)

since talking about internship n all, I also want to whine a lil. haha. i remember last time during my internship they paid me a pathetic 600 bucks, and I used to work OT every single day till 10pm. Once, even till 4:30am. I picked up a lot of experience n skills during that period. My supervisor that time even commented I was more experienced than most of the staffs there, and let me supervise the temp staffs. They offered me a permanent position after that but I was not keen any more. Sometimes I just hope the company would have appreciated us more.

The morale of the story: too nice and too naive also no good. Sure will get taken for granted.

Oh yea, forgot to mention, I called it quit after 1 week of trying too. Similar reasons to what your intern told the TS. Mainly because it was not my field. But my boss cooled me down, then gave me 1 month to pick up before giving it another try. haha.

Last edited:
since talking about internship n all, I also want to whine a lil. haha. i remember last time during my internship they paid me a pathetic 600 bucks, and I used to work OT every single day till 10pm. Once, even till 4:30am. I picked up a lot of experience n skills during that period. My supervisor that time even commented I was more experienced than most of the staffs there, and let me supervise the temp staffs. They offered me a permanent position after that but I was not keen any more. Sometimes I just hope the company would have appreciated us more.

The morale of the story: too nice and too naive also no good. Sure will get taken for granted.

Oh yea, forgot to mention, I called it quit after 1 week of trying too. Similar reasons to what your intern told the TS. Mainly because it was not my field. But my boss cooled me down, then gave me 1 month to pick up before giving it another try. haha.

it works both way, whether intern or not, nobody will want to work in a company that is exploitative of their workers. It is also a good opportunity for a company to look for good workers and vice versa for the intern or employee.

it is 2012 already , you still paying him $500? you thought this is the 80's? look what he said :

The pay is just too little. After deducting the Sundays and Saturdays' half days, I work for 198 hours each month. In other words, I am earning $2.50 per hour. Taking $4 each for lunch and dinner, $2 for breakfast and $0.45x4 for transportation, I would be left with $10.70 each day.

if i am the kid, i would also quit. working in econ-minimart can get much higher pay.....

he wont be asking for his 3 days of pay, dont know why you still complaining.

as a employer, maybe you should relook / study the situation and learn how to improve the welfare for you employees .

i mean come on man. cost of living is very high. probably his parent isn't very rich and he trying to earn as much as possible during this period.

damn, 15 yrs ago, i am getting $1000 working in a shop house and they still provide breakfast, lunch , dinner!!! LOL, ts...joker lar u.

let's do a little survey :

1:how many of you have been working since the age of 16?
2:how much are your drawing?
3: which yr was that?
4: any other benefit?
5: put yourself in his shoe, is $500 sufficient?

Last edited:
is internship right?
poly interns are still getting this kind of rate as i know of recently

it is 2012 already , you still paying him $500?

I disagree. I did my internship for 6 months with zero pay 5 years back. 5 years later I am involved with hiring process and my current company is better: interns do get paid but not much. Put yourself in our shoes: what value does interns bring? They have zero experience and they know nothing. I need to assign seniors as their mentors and my staff sometimes feel annoyed and offended because guiding an intern is extra burden to them.

Moreover interns get very limited access to our company resources just like other temp staff. They can only do what they know and it takes a lot of time and effort to train them up... It is opportunity cost to the company and we did not really benefit from getting in the intern.

Interns should not be bothered about the pay, think about what you can learn and what it taste to be a working adult. You do not have any qualifications or qualities to work for anyone yet, you do not bring any value to the company. Take it as an incentive if your company pays you well on your internship. The experience you gain throughout your internship will benefit you much more than the paycheck you get for that 3-6 months.

Yes working as promoter/ cashier/ McD will give you higher pay but do ask yourself what will you get/ learn after the internship? Learn how to make burgers? How many of us will be bothered to work/ find a job if internship is not a compulsory subject and you must pass it in order to graduate?

"Please do not bother calling to talk things out. My decision is already made."

I LOVE this particular part of the message. Ballsy indeed!

During my internship I worked 9 hours per day for about 22 days a month for 4 month for $350 each month. This works out to be $1.77/hr (wow. I realise now, 10 years later, that I was paid peanuts. Talk about slow). At this stage of my poly course, I had thoroughly hated the course I was taking but wasting the last 2.5 years of my life would not have been a wise move and I really needed that diploma to move onto the next stage of my academic life.

So I guess at the end of the day, it would be what he was really motivated by and whether he saw the internship as a part-time job or as an opportunity to learn (and getting paid to learn no less!).

Thinking back I am really appreciative of my supervisor for the help and guidance she has given me. So to all you out there mentoring your interns - THANK YOU!

let's do a little survey :

1:how many of you have been working since the age of 16?
2:how much are your drawing?
3: which yr was that?
4: any other benefit?
5: put yourself in his shoe, is $500 sufficient?

Why don't we have the survey result from you first, see if your answers match what you seem to think is the correct set of answers to be able to pass judgement on this? :bsmilie:

just to share a little:

my pay as a construction worker: 40 a day, 9-5.
my pay as an intern: 30ish a day, 8.30-6

for me, my feelings now? pretty stressed (its only 5 days), but i attribute it to fitting in and adapting. perhaps i'll be better off next week.
but for me, since i requested for the intern (it wasn't avaliable normally this period), i have a responsibility to see it through.

btw, i learned a lot in this 5 days. thats from just asking around and "interviewing" my colleagues and superiors.

Last edited:
just to share a little:

for me, my feelings now? pretty stressed (its only 5 days), but i attribute it to fitting in and adapting. perhaps i'll be better off next week.
but for me, since i requested for the intern (it wasn't avaliable normally this period), i have a responsibility to see it through.

btw, i learned a lot in this 5 days. thats from just asking around and "interviewing" my colleagues and superiors.
Why you can from tuition teacher become construction worker? Civil engineer also construction worker?

just to share a little:

Construction workers work under hot sun, harsh working environment, sometimes high risk as well. Interns usually spend more time in an air-con room, and the only risk is air-con leak! :bsmilie:

How to compare?