Kids nowadays.

People are funny... they expect themselves to get good pay for what they are doing... but when it comes time for them to be pay masters, they will scringe, and not pay fairly.

From TS story.. its the monkey who looks for peanuts. And I think the monkey should stick to his commitment. If he thinks the $$ is peanut, he should not accept the job in the first place. I want to know what this joker will be in 5-10 yrs. lol

From TS story.. its the monkey who looks for peanuts. And I think the monkey should stick to his commitment. If he thinks the $$ is peanut, he should not accept the job in the first place. I want to know what this joker will be in 5-10 yrs. lol

This, I agree.

Maybe in army, he can get time off and long weekend, reason: i want to spend with gf and family.

An internship isn't about the pay. An internship is the opportunity to learn from people who have things to teach. Like mattlock said, this kid should be paying them to be learning from one of the best in the field.

If you're really caught up on your "pay peanuts, get monkeys" idea, then one simple word for anybody who intends to find any sort of internship or employment opportunities here - MIGRATE.

not every boss views internship as a responsibility to teach. many make use of the interns to clear backlog and do saikang...

hmm.. not bad :bsmilie:

but i have to add, it depends on the intern how much he/she is willing to self-learn.

i'm currently doing intern (right at this moment yes). the first thing i got access to their intranet, was to go through all their files and their previous plans, projects, policies, commentaries and evaluation.

that's one way to learn

I think it is a little irresponsible to exit with just an sms. He should at the very least call to explain his decision.
Is it because it is easier to hide from the risk of having to face the music for his actions? That's WEAK.

dont say about intern, even my company which we pay full salary also 1 day KO, the HR tooks about 1 month to interview and apply the permit.

btw, my expenses :

i'm paid around 3ish per hour, subject to CPF. which roughly translates to 3 per hour.

per day, i work from 8ish to 6. transport takes 1 hour to and fro. so thats almost a 7-7 job.

travel costs is high. per trip is 2ish. per day around 5.

i packet my own food to office, because travelling to eat (no nearby food courts), can cost me around 3. food normally below 3 dollars, usually sandwiches.
drinks? plain water.

i can manage to save around 15 a day i guess?

but i no girlfriend, and i don't game now... spend the time jogging. so... not bad

5 day workweek too!

I've met my fair share of irresponsible kids but this one takes the cake

A 16 year old wanted to join us for an internship. He's been asking around for some sort of internship so he can learn from "seniors", and all other flowery nonsense that you can find here in this forum if you look...

So we offered a standard $500 per month internship for 2.5 months. (based on poly internship rates)
He came in for 3 days and then left, leaving this sms:

"Hi sorry if this is too sudden. I wanted to leave this for tomorrow, but I decided that I don't want it to affect the new assistants. I've decided to quit this job. I won't ask for my 3 days of pay either. I'll take it as that I worked for exposure.

I have more than enough reasons to quit. Firstly being that the distance, which is too far and coupled with the timing, I don't even have time for myself after work each day. I know it's just the 2nd day in the office, but I know I won't be able to take it on a long-term basis. Secondly, it's just not my type of job. Also, I'd like to be honest here. The pay is just too little. After deducting the Sundays and Saturdays' half days, I work for 198 hours each month. In other words, I am earning $2.50 per hour. Taking $4 each for lunch and dinner, $2 for breakfast and $0.45x4 for transportation, I would be left with $10.70 each day. But even if you give me a pay rise, not having time for myself is enough to keep me off. On top of that, I have to spend time with my family and my girlfriend too. My parents support my decision as well. I apologise if I caused any inconvenience for tomorrow's meeting.

...Please do not bother calling to talk things out. My decision is already made."

funnily today I was telling my associate that I should be charging him for learning from us professionals.

wow I haven't felt this publicly bitchy in awhile.

Well , he have not went through NS .. really just a kid . Cant expect much from them

Well , he have not went through NS .. really just a kid . Cant expect much from them

ns is pay u to get fit. what can u complain about it? :)

somemore got food, free clothing, free accomodation leh.

AFAIK Mattlock did not actively go look for interns . It is this kid who go around looking for internship . And he left after 3 days .

The reason Silicon Valley pays their interns that high is because the interns already know what is programming / writing codes and such way before they join the company .
If the kid do not know much about photography as a business or technically , how to justify paying him as a entry level employee ?????
It is like Mattlock paying you to learn from him ? Even we need to pay school fees when we go school leh ...

i believe the problem here is not the pay, but the attitude.

this kid won't make it far if he doesn't change his attitude and be humble. if he's only after the money, good luck to him when he enters the real working world.

Funny, during lunch yesterday our intern from NTU mentioned that her friend interning at Barclays is paid SGD6000/mth.
Yes, 6k/mth for internship. No wonder all the kids want to join finance sector.

Sure, it's a nice and rosy picture when you hear about the pay and only the pay.

But the high pay isn't just to sit around in office and work from 8-5 pm everyday... So best that people intern first and find out more, see if it's what they want. It's highly competitive, promises a lack of work-life balance, etc.. Of course there is always talent versus work required factor in the mix, so perhaps some people are well-suited for it, some are not. IIRC, that isn't the highest I've heard for banking internships. :)

I've interviewed 18 yr old scholarship applicants. The level of maturity, awareness, confidence, mannerism puts many working professionals to shame.

Such traits can be seen in primary schoolers.

Saying he's a kid is a poor excuse unless we are saying he belongs to the bottom 3% or a great liar.

With that kind of pay, they can be really selective and attract only the brightest students. The best of the interns continues to take on their projects even after leaving, and many are offered jobs even before graduation. They take it as an extended job trial. If the intern do in the end join, the company is familiar with them and they with the company. They are more productive from the word go.

That, sadly, only seems to apply for particular sectors.

And well, as someone else has pointed out, an example is the banking sector. Using that as a benchmark, how many photographers or photography companies you know are willing to pay an intern $6,000/month?

If you don't want to, or can't (in some cases, or most, perhaps), then if pay is the sole basis of attraction in an internship-seeker's list (and this is a huge IF) - then indeed the brighest are taken, and by the time it filters down to the lower echelons in such a theoretical world, you'd be left with the dregs.

But of course, like many have pointed out in recent times on other issues, it isn't always about the pay. Some people really have a passion for certain things in life, others really don't want to engage in a particular type of work-life... There's so many factors that need to be considered and I won't just put it down to pay. I know many people who would without a doubt, be able to make it into a high paying job, but chose not to - and I'm sure all of us here know of such cases as well.

Last edited:
That, sadly, only seems to apply for particular sectors.

And well, as someone else has pointed out, an example is the banking sector. Using that as a benchmark, how many photographers or photography companies you know are willing to pay an intern $6,000/month?

If you don't want to, or can't (in some cases, or most, perhaps), then if pay is the sole basis of attraction in an internship-seeker's list (and this is a huge IF) - then indeed the brighest are taken, and by the time it filters down to the lower echelons in such a theoretical world, you'd be left with the dregs.

But of course, like many have pointed out in recent times on other issues, it isn't always about the pay. Some people really have a passion for certain things in life, others really don't want to engage in a particular type of work-life... There's so many factors that need to be considered and I won't just put it down to pay. I know many people who would without a doubt, be able to make it into a high paying job, but chose not to - and I'm sure all of us here know of such cases as well.

I am not saying that it must be $x. What I am saying is that it must be "fair". While the calculations given by the kid sure sounds like bitching, it does highlight that $500 is not enough. There was once a cleaner uncle (Singaporean, in his 70s) working my office area. His boss got the contract renewed at a lower rate. So he cut the uncle's pay, and increased the area he is to clean. When the uncle complained, boss told him "not happy? I can always get a foreign worker to do your job. Give you a job already doing you a big favour and you fail to appreciate it." Uncle no choice... at his age, he has no confidence in getting another job. So he sucked it up. Yes, every is legal - but it is just not fair. Till this day, I am still upset about it (though I can do nothing about it).

To be fair to the kid, while his SMS is immature, to say the least, he did try it out for 3 days, then cut losses and did not ask for the 3 days' pay. Kids have rosy ideas about what things are in the real world. Then they get hit by reality. Instead of staying on and be super unhappy about everything - possibly doing damage to TS's business in one way or another, he cha-bot. Not ideal but I don't see it as a complete disaster.

Not ideal but I don't see it as a complete disaster.

well, for me, i know that a lot of effort was done in planning my internship schedule on the management side... i saw their planning and meeting briefs hahaha.

assuming the same, yes, its a pretty bad disaster. especially when u requested for an internship, make ppl move mountains, just to pull out later in a not so cool style.

well, for me, i know that a lot of effort was done in planning my internship schedule on the management side... i saw their planning and meeting briefs hahaha.

assuming the same, yes, its a pretty bad disaster. especially when u requested for an internship, make ppl move mountains, just to pull out later in a not so cool style.

True... but I always believe 勉强没幸福 ("there can be no happiness in forcing"). Rather than pay for the intern to go through the motion for all you grand plans in a very unhappy mood, why not reuse them on another more motivated one.