K20D...any users care to give realtime opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a look at your SOYA photos and Sentosa Flower photos and I have to say I think you need to work on your picture taking skills more. They don't look particularly remarkable and are no better than random snapshots. Specifically you need to work on your composition as many images just lack a defined subject matter.

Reading your comments on the K20D, I have to say that I really don't encounter some of the so called issues you mention. To me, images from K20D are pretty easy to post process, no matter if you're using the bundled Pentax software or most image editing software available. If you examine your images carefully, they tend to look soft and don't show good contrast. On your Sentosa shots, the reds are overly saturated. Not sure if it is perhaps your choice of lens plus your post processing.

not looking to make remarkable photos and you are right in saying they are more like random snapshots since i tend to take photos of whatever seems of interest to me at that time since there is probably hundreds of defined subject matter of the event going around, rather more interesting to take pictures of whats happening. Dont really believe in composition since as long the one who is taking the picture is happy with end results, its good enough. Regarding the colors, you are right on the mark as well..i simply ran all the photos through a batch PP process which works for some and not so good for some but nicer then the original. Have better things to do then PP over 200+ pictures individually since not getting money for it. Its currently set to previous Canon system and i am tweaking to find a general one for new system.

I am currently favouring an 8yr old 28-105mm 4-5.6 Tamron...pretty good for an everyday lens. as for the comments on the k20d usage, its simply just what i noticed coming from a Canon body with more newer IS lenses. I am planning to keep a personal logbook of what works and what doesnt for my current setup.

Last edited:
i must say that the stuff on your blog is better than the SOYO shoot

i must say that the stuff on your blog is better than the SOYO shoot
Those were taken with Canon 300D with 18-55 IS and 55-250mm IS which are fairly new generation lenses. Took me about 2 months to get the hang of them, quite amazing even when handheld and on an older model to boot. If you are talking about the close up shots, as i stated in the SOYA thread to look elsewhere as the pics i taken are more of whats happening rather then taking picture of each cosplayer. Its something i am working on but thanks for the feedback, guess still need fine tuning.

This is my current lens setup for the K20D,
Pentax SMC DA 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 AL
Tamron 28-105mm f/4-5.6 (IF)
Tamron 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD Macro

Thinking of getting in following order, i think i am now comfortable enough with the camera settings to invest in glass.
Sigma 18mm - 50mm f/2.8 EX DC
Pentax 55-300mm f/4.0-5.8 ED
~can any actual user care to comment on their autofocus speed, concerts where flash not allowed and any quirks?

In Singapore, where is a recommended shop for Pentax-body lens?

Last edited:
was walking when met this fellow...quite photogenic, not even scared by the shutter sound and flash.

a5571678.jpg

2097b094.jpg

f5d6cb72.jpg

used onboard camera flash which was a tad harsh.. 24-105mm, F5.6 iso100~400 1/180.

Last edited:
I think end of day...You can't keep every pictures that you took? I learn to trash away photos which is OOF or blurred and identify which is the ones that think it's a keeper and PP to make them the best in your own way.

Those were taken with Canon 300D with 18-55 IS and 55-250mm IS which are fairly new generation lenses. ...

Um. Nothing to do with the gear :p

another attempt with birds. Not yet capable to catch one in mid flight yet though. 24-105 at 5.6 Shutter Priority 1/125 + iso 100. Pictures were underexposed but was able to brighten up in PP. Used the default bright setting with AWB.

9527cb16.jpg
9648f0f8.jpg

cdf508ef.jpg
a6bd511f.jpg

dc02c9bb.jpg

Last edited:
another attempt with birds. Not yet capable to catch one in mid flight yet though. 24-105 at 5.6 Shutter Priority 1/125 + iso 100. Pictures were underexposed but was able to brighten up in PP. Used the default bright setting with AWB.

You need to go to higher shutter speeds to catch birds.
Try 1/500s or faster.

I had to learn all over again but not from scratch .. after using K100D for three years after I jumped to K20D ...

but still find that something could be better, with the way of skill in handling the K20D.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nc_chia

Hi P3ntx
You have very nice shots on your flikr account. Looks like you like fast lens and full aperture! (and you have alot of these fast toys!) I especially like your night shots. Sharp and clear and well composed.:):thumbsup:

went to Punggol Kite 2009. I can clearly say i am pleased with the results, nailed 90% of the shots. The rest mostly was due to wrong metering target mostly. This time rather then AWB, i used Daylight instead. Used Shutter Priority with iso100 and 1/125~1/500 for the shots since there is plenty of available light. I think i would get even better results had i used centre weighted instead. All pics on facebook.
some wide angle shots only http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477604

8d6a94e3.jpg

Just me but Punggol does have a lot of space for a lot of activities. From what i read, the LRT system replaces the bus services for the area. anyway the weather was bright and the air somewhat windy.

68718d1e.jpg

Here is a pic of the grandpa showing how flying a kite should be done. One of many scenes that would be repeated again and again.

6acb3dcf.jpg
f7627ae2.jpg

Lots of families out there and lots of dads repairing kites as well.

48006149.jpg

Not just humans are there, even pets too.

Last edited:
5237874c.jpg

They preparing to launch the Opera kite.

80457156.jpg
cbaab189.jpg

Up up and away. However just couldnt get enough elevation to go higher then Singapura kite.

4439703a.jpg

Some of the crew helping the international teams to get their massive kites in the air.

81967533.jpg

Just one of the many kids out there who probably is first time actually flying a kite.

if want the full pics, its on facebook.

Last edited:
90c0d38b.jpg

earlier though was at the Bike-A-Thon 2009 from Sun Plaza Park to East Coast Park which is 28km and i had the crazy idea of bringing a video camera + dslr + accessories as i rode with them on bicycle.

af06ea28.jpg

Everyone was ecstatic during the flag off.

749ea3dd.jpg

One of the many signs that would be seen during the 28km route.

9e6c8bab.jpg

The finish line is always sweet to see and cross.

b247e8ed.jpg

the volunteers whithout whom the event would be even more difficult to pull off.

dropped the camera once or twice but so far the K20D can take the punishment. I can clearly say the build workmanship is there.

Last edited:
Got a whole lot of nice pictures from OCBC bike race. Close ups, wideangles and etc...the k20d is certainly a cool tool once know what works. Didnt need even to do much PP since they already look good out of the camera.

73412208.jpg
658993b4.jpg

The Main race.

fc189f1d.jpg

The Kids race.

21009409.jpg

The Bike stunts.

442a3253.jpg

The Masters race.

Used mostly Tav mode which is pretty useful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.