just changed the focusing screnn on my K-x!

I got the cheapest of the lot the FSB for K-x. Serves its purpose...but after reading comments maybe I should have gotten the K3...argh.

I have the FSB too for my K20D and find it a bit dark after using it for about 4 months. I tried eselite's K7 with the K3 focusing screen. Wow the K3 is very bright. I think the K7 prism also contributes to the overall viewfinder brightness.

A few others and I have used focusing screens from focusingscreen.com on our Pentax cameras. I recommend the Nikon K3 screen, very bright and it doesn't affect the camera's metering.

:bsmilie: the england in the online instruction manual very powderful man!

But it looks like great value for money compared to the katzeye :)

Can I ask a noob question, if I used this and wanna take a family pic, does it has problem focusing it? Since I see its only does spot focusing. Or I may be wrong. First time seeing this.

Can I ask a noob question, if I used this and wanna take a family pic, does it has problem focusing it? Since I see its only does spot focusing. Or I may be wrong. First time seeing this.

On the contrary, it should aid focusing, especially when you are using manual lenses. I myself usually use center spot focusing on K-x cause that way I will always know my point of focus. I am not too sure if metering is affected I set to multi-AF points...have to go and try out.

do all fellow seniors hear take the DIY approach to fix the new focusing screen?

cos i'm a bit clumsy and i'm scared that i may damage the focusing screen, or worse, the camera :sweat:

can bring to service centre or camera shop to mod? i dun mind paying a little for peace of mind :p

do all fellow seniors hear take the DIY approach to fix the new focusing screen?

cos i'm a bit clumsy and i'm scared that i may damage the focusing screen, or worse, the camera :sweat:

can bring to service centre or camera shop to mod? i dun mind paying a little for peace of mind :p

The Katzeye actually offers a service to help you install the focusing screen but you need to ship your camera there and wait for it to come back again...it's realli not that difficult to change the focusing screen, just need to be patient and not rush or force things.

Does k3 work well with AF? Or does it mainly help in MF only? Thinking whether can be left on for normal AF usage.

The Katzeye actually offers a service to help you install the focusing screen but you need to ship your camera there and wait for it to come back again...it's realli not that difficult to change the focusing screen, just need to be patient and not rush or force things.

eh... scared wait "piu chiu" then my KX become very expensive paperweight liao :sweat:

I am totally "confused" how to get Nikon K3 screen working on Pentax..

I thought different cameras with different flange distance has to use different focusing screen.
according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount , Pentax flange distance is 45.5mm Nikon is 46.5mm.
so theoritically, nikon and pentax focusing screen should be different in thickness (to match the sensor distance). Using Nikon's screen on Pentax (or vice versa) will cause what seems "in focus" on the viewfinder actually "out of focus" on the sensor...

LOL hope what im saying is understandable

I am totally "confused" how to get Nikon K3 screen working on Pentax..

I thought different cameras with different flange distance has to use different focusing screen.
according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount , Pentax flange distance is 45.5mm Nikon is 46.5mm.
so theoritically, nikon and pentax focusing screen should be different in thickness (to match the sensor distance). Using Nikon's screen on Pentax (or vice versa) will cause what seems "in focus" on the viewfinder actually "out of focus" on the sensor...

LOL hope what im saying is understandable

Well it has been "modified" by this company called www.focusingscreen.com.

Go to the link and have a read and you will understand.

eh... scared wait "piu chiu" then my KX become very expensive paperweight liao :sweat:

During installation, i also "piu chiu", my bracket for holding the focusing screen dropped and fell on my mirror...but luckily no damage....other than the mirror precautions, need to work in a relatively dust free environment so turn off the fan and close the window...;)

On the contrary, it should aid focusing, especially when you are using manual lenses. I myself usually use center spot focusing on K-x cause that way I will always know my point of focus. I am not too sure if metering is affected I set to multi-AF points...have to go and try out.

Please try out. I wanna know if it can be done. Actually I myself is more to spot focusing and also love manual lens.

A friend of mine wanted this too. But he asking is it worth or not since if he wanna take his family pic and this thing as we see only focus on the centre. If it can, then I and him will buy it.

Last edited:
Well it has been "modified" by this company called www.focusingscreen.com.

Go to the link and have a read and you will understand.

Hi. I went to the website, but can not find any explanation about how cameras with different flange distance can use the same focusing screen.. can you tell me which part of the web i can find it?

I think the web store sells focusing screen that specially made for each camera. so i think focal flange distance is no issue. but I dont get it how can people use Nikon K3 on Pentax :dunno:

split focusing screens are center priority, anything outside is no different from your default screen..as long as i have been using it, this hasn't been much of a limitation to me, as my focus points usually still fall within the center coverage.

if for group shots, i'd give more attention to lens aperture/depth of field instead

Hi. I went to the website, but can not find any explanation about how cameras with different flange distance can use the same focusing screen.. can you tell me which part of the web i can find it?

I think the web store sells focusing screen that specially made for each camera. so i think focal flange distance is no issue. but I dont get it how can people use Nikon K3 on Pentax :dunno:

They modify them lah . . .

I also don't know how the optic systems work but I don't think the lens register distance and the focusing screen are that closely related. As long as the dimensions (size, shape, thickness) of the replacement screen are the same as the original screen then they should be interchangeable.

So many bros recommend the K3 screen so just accept that it works lah, there are better things to worry about as a photographer than focusing screen compatibility. ;)

tirza, you're just confusing yourself unnecessarily. I'm just wondering why you even need to bring the issue of flange distance into the discussion. Flange distance merely refers to the distance from the lens mount to the film/sensor plane. A focusing screen is just a piece of plastic or glass that allows the image that passes through the lens to be viewed in sharp focus in the camera's viewfinder. All the different variations and types offered by different manufacturers were originally intended for 35mm film or FF cameras and would have to be trimmed down to size to fit into the smaller viewfinder of APS-C DSLRs. Take it from those of us who have used the Nikon K3 or any other type of third party focusing screen that it will work. Now there could be some degree of front or back focusing when compared to the camera's AF system, but this can be corrected by installing the appropriate shims to compensate.

Look at the link lah... provided for you already. All info is on the website.
Here are the screens available for the K-x... just log in, make your choice and pay up.
Package arrives in a few day. Can fix the new screen yourself as tools provided... dead easy.
Can save a bit on shipping if you can get others to buy a few together.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=25_103

Used the Canon EC-L and Nikon K3 and the Nikon has the edge in overall brightness.

Hi All Senior & Bros...
After reading couple of times on this thread and still a liitle Burr. I understood that the most recommended is K3 for my Kx as it has microprisms and a line in the centre to align the focusing point (I use spot only)

Sorry I'm old already... slow in thinking and acting:embrass:. Is this the site and model that I should go and place my order?

Model: (K-x K3 Focusing Screen )
Order from here? http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=25_103

Thankyou very much for your help in advance
stanyjw - Peter