just changed the focusing screnn on my K-x!

silverspear

Dec 1, 2009
I bought one of those cheap ebay focusing screens with the latest 45 deg dual split prism ones. (bought the one for Km, fits perfectly).

Am quite happy with it. though as in the pentax forums, it's true that it's slightly darker than the original focusing screen.

But, i'm happy, now that i can focus with my manual lens with more confidence =P

Just thought of sharing this with those also thinking about it =)

Try to use lenses faster than F/4 when use with split focusing screen.
They usually start turning dark and get affected pass the f/4.

cheerss..

hi care to share the url and how much did it cost inclusive of shipping?

Did consider changing the screen before as the default screen's layout really isnt very helpful. =p

A few others and I have used focusing screens from focusingscreen.com on our Pentax cameras. I recommend the Nikon K3 screen, very bright and it doesn't affect the camera's metering. There is also Katzeye, US based and more expensive.
The default Pentax screen is bright but it doesn't have enough snap for manual focusing and lacks the central focusing aids (split image rangefinder/microprism).

Last edited:
A little investment for a decent focus screen is worth it. The K3 screens are very good deals. I would get it if I haven't got an Kateyez (I didn't know there were cheaper and good alternatives).

You wouldn't want your screen to start blacking out at higher aperture! I agree the K3 is very good!

Does anyone knows if changing the focusing screen affects the red AF indicator on the K20D?

A few others and I have used focusing screens from focusingscreen.com on our Pentax cameras. I recommend the Nikon K3 screen, very bright and it doesn't affect the camera's metering. There is also Katzeye, US based and more expensive.
The default Pentax screen is bright but it doesn't have enough snap for manual focusing and lacks the central focusing aids (split image rangefinder/microprism).

Hi can share what is the focusing screen model u order that fits Kx? example did u order a km focusing screen with K3 design?

I am considering ordering one or send my kx to service cos i have dusty focusing screen.

Hi can share what is the focusing screen model u order that fits Kx? example did u order a km focusing screen with K3 design?

I am considering ordering one or send my kx to service cos i have dusty focusing screen.

Look at the link lah... provided for you already. All info is on the website.
Here are the screens available for the K-x... just log in, make your choice and pay up.
Package arrives in a few day. Can fix the new screen yourself as tools provided... dead easy.
Can save a bit on shipping if you can get others to buy a few together.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/index.php?cPath=25_103

Used the Canon EC-L and Nikon K3 and the Nikon has the edge in overall brightness.

i paid a total of S$45.10 inclusive of shipping from ebay. it's cheaper than the K3.. which would have cost me $80+. Katzeye no need to say.. above S$100.. haha. =)

just do a ebay search for "pentax dual focusing screen". you'll get all the latest ones there.

One comment though... i noticed that only the china screens (from ebay) have started to use the dual split prism.. can't find this configuration in either K3 or katzeye. I agree that the ebay one is dark, but the dual split is very nice to use.. =)

I bought one of those cheap ebay focusing screens with the latest 45 deg dual split prism ones. (bought the one for Km, fits perfectly).

Am quite happy with it. though as in the pentax forums, it's true that it's slightly darker than the original focusing screen.

I use the cheapo China screen too and the darkening VF is obvious. But then again, these screens shine when focusing wide open with fast lenses. (unless you do macro) While workmanship is horrible, (those of you who have viewed through my VF can attest to) it gets the job done.

I've viewed through the K3 screen too and while it is superb in every aspect, it's lacking a 45 deg split screen. :(

Frankly I don't see the point of buying a cheap focusing screens from eBay that isn't as bright as the stock Pentax screen. Yeah you save some money but it is imo false economy because with the cheap screens, the focusing aids often black out at smaller apertures or with lenses that don't have a large maximum aperture. The screens are often poorly cut from recycled older film cameras, can show BF/FF or worse, can affect the camera's exposure meter reading. But I guess different strokes for different folks.

Frankly I don't see the point of buying a cheap focusing screens from eBay that isn't as bright as the stock Pentax screen. Yeah you save some money but it is imo false economy because with the cheap screens, the focusing aids often black out at smaller apertures or with lenses that don't have a large maximum aperture. The screens are often poorly cut from recycled older film cameras, can show BF/FF or worse, can affect the camera's exposure meter reading. But I guess different strokes for different folks.

I totally agree, but I've learned to compensate accordingly. It was my first foray with split screens in DSLRs and while it has served me well for a year(?) with all the wonderful shots it has given me, I do think it is time to upgrade to a K3. (K7 still in the waiting list) :bsmilie:

I use the cheapo China screen too and the darkening VF is obvious. But then again, these screens shine when focusing wide open with fast lenses. (unless you do macro) While workmanship is horrible, (those of you who have viewed through my VF can attest to) it gets the job done.

I've viewed through the K3 screen too and while it is superb in every aspect, it's lacking a 45 deg split screen. :(

If vertical split fail, i will rely on its micro prism on the outer ring:D

Or just tilt the camera 45 degrees and focus... :bsmilie:

After using these screens in many cameras and setup, i find that the microprisms are the more useful than the split-image. If I were to get a new focusing screen, i'd get a microprism only one. The split-image portion, sometimes i feel it's too small and hard to 'snap'

I got the cheapest of the lot the FSB for K-x. Serves its purpose...but after reading comments maybe I should have gotten the K3...argh.