Joining Olympians

Status
Not open for further replies.

humans

Oct 2, 2006
Singapore
Hi Friends,

Finally bought my first DSLR the best E-500 after shooting with P & S camera for years. Attended 2 very good free sessions of basics with Olympus E-Academy and learning the skills.

Now I have one question which I want my fellow very good Olympians to put some light on. I got 2 kit lens with the camera (14-45 & 40-150) but I am thinking of buying one18-180mm f/3.5-6.3 Zuiko Lens instead of keeping the 2 kit lens.

I want you suggestion on this as well as how much extra I have to pay on this.

Thanks

May Blu ask how much would that put you back??

Hi Friends,

Finally bought my first DSLR the best E-500 after shooting with P & S camera for years. Attended 2 very good free sessions of basics with Olympus E-Academy and learning the skills.

Now I have one question which I want my fellow very good Olympians to put some light on. I got 2 kit lens with the camera (14-45 & 40-150) but I am thinking of buying one18-180mm f/3.5-6.3 Zuiko Lens instead of keeping the 2 kit lens.

Thanks

You will lose out on the wide angle side as 18mm = 36mm but gain some tele length. So it all depends on the user.

if you really one to shoot with only one lens, and you want to get fast, i think you should get the 18-180mm. If time is not your concern, wait for the newly announced sigma 18-200mm OIS

May Blu ask how much would that put you back??

I apologize, but I didn't got what you want to know. I am very new to this forum so please don't mind.

The Kit costs me 1399 SGD.

Soli...blu being notti...Blu want to know how much this lens would cost.

Hi Friends,

Thanks

The 18-180mm is about $730 brand new. But since you already have the two kit lenses, I suggest you stick with them; image quality wise 14-45mm < 18-180mm < 40-150mm.

Better to use the 700 bucks and get yourself the 14-54mm f2.8-3.5, OR top up another 300 bucks and get the 11-22mm :lovegrin: ; personally I have no regrets smacking down a grand for THAT glass...

Hi Friends,

Thanks

Dont catch the Buy buy buy virus!! ;)

Anyway, it really depends on your shooting needs... the 2 kit lens is quite good compared to other kit lens from nikon and canon. And also in singapore, the 14-45mm is very difficult to sell unless you are willing to sell it at prices like $100 below.

I would suggest to shoot more, find out what you need most before throwing down the cash.

For example, if you like to shoot indoors more eg, ur family, u can consider a flash.
if u like wide landscapes, get the 11-22mm or even the 7-14mm
want further reach, get the 50-200 or the newly announced 50-500mm.

image quality wise 14-45mm < 18-180mm < 40-150mm.

Better to use the 700 bucks and get yourself the 14-54mm f2.8-3.5, OR top up another 300 bucks and get the 11-22mm :lovegrin: ; personally I have no regrets smacking down a grand for THAT glass...

Hey Drakon09... u mean that 14~45mm has the lowest image quality while the 40~150mm has the best quality? (out of the 3 glasses mentioned...)???

AND the 14~54 is good becos the "f" figures of 2.8-3.5? Cos both the E-500's kit lenses start from 3.5... meaning they are not very "fast" lenses izzit?

Sorry ah, i've just been reading and reading, no "proper" know-how yet... ;p

Hey Drakon09... u mean that 14~45mm has the lowest image quality while the 40~150mm has the best quality? (out of the 3 glasses mentioned...)???

AND the 14~54 is good becos the "f" figures of 2.8-3.5? Cos both the E-500's kit lenses start from 3.5... meaning they are not very "fast" lenses izzit?

hello! from the MTF charts and testing/reviews done on various websites, it proves to be so. but dont underestimate 14-45mm. it is rated one of the best compared to N and C brands.

f is refering to the aperture of the lens. the Smaller the digit, the Faster the lens. (in actual fact, the smaller the number, the larger is the image aperture). so the term fast is used as light can enter more comparing a f2.8 to a f3.5. the camera will tend to hunt more during low light situations and you may find that a fast lens will help in this situation

hope it helps! ;p

icic... cos a larger aperture allows us to use faster shutter speed yeah?

Thanks mate!

Wow... last time buy P&S... buy liao that's it, use until it "dies"...

With the DSLR... so many additional accessories... BBB virus?

I always wondered what "BBB" meant... NOW i know... ;)

icic... cos a larger aperture allows us to use faster shutter speed yeah?

Thanks mate!

Wow... last time buy P&S... buy liao that's it, use until it "dies"...

With the DSLR... so many additional accessories... BBB virus?

I always wondered what "BBB" meant... NOW i know... ;)

yes! exactly. larger aperture, faster shutter speed! but at the cost of depth of view.

yupz! BBB :devil: :devil:

check out here.
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/p_2_006.html

yes! exactly. larger aperture, faster shutter speed! but at the cost of depth of view.

yupz! BBB :devil: :devil:

check out here.
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/p_2_006.html

Depth of view... a SHALLOW DOV will create the effect of blurry background while subject is in sharp focus right?

If that's the case, i was taught that a bigger aperture will help create that effect?

Was i mis-guided? :confused:

Depth of view... a SHALLOW DOV will create the effect of blurry background while subject is in sharp focus right?

If that's the case, i was taught that a bigger aperture will help create that effect?

Was i mis-guided? :confused:

aperture 'big' associates with smaller f number and smaller DOV. example a f2

aperture 'small' associates with larger f number and longer DOV. example f16

so a bigger aperture yes! shallow DOV;p

Wow a big thanks to all of you for valuable opinions.

So decided not to catch the BBB Virus ;) and continue with what I have. :thumbsup:

I was just concerned with the changing and carrying 2 lenses at the same time, but no worries I will keep the kit lenses.

One more question I would like to ask is

Should I always keep the camera and lenses in dry box after every day use or store in it if I am not going to use camera for longer durations. Also should I keep it with the camera bag or only the camera and lenses in the dry box. :embrass: :confused:

Thanks

So decided not to catch the BBB Virus ;) and continue with what I have. :thumbsup:

I was just concerned with the changing and carrying 2 lenses at the same time, but no worries I will keep the kit lenses.

Should I always keep the camera and lenses in dry box after every day use or store in it if I am not going to use camera for longer durations. Also should I keep it with the camera bag or only the camera and lenses in the dry box. :embrass: :confused:

Thanks

Ok, from what i was just told recently... just keep the lenses, cam body etc etc... BUT dun put anything made of fibre in the dry-box... right guys?! ;p

Eh... personally, i keep my stuff inside WHENEVER i'm not using it...

Thanks

if u are not going to use the camera for a long time (you define whats long time here, but i would say a week) then store the lens and the body flash etc inside the dry box.

if next day still want to go out and shoot u can consider leaving the equipments in ur bag.

personally i put my strap inside as well.. :sweat:

Well, the 14-45mm has the perceived lowest image quality among the Zuikos mentioned. It compares very well to the 18-55 Canon and Nikon kit lenses; the 18-70mm Nikon kit lenses that come with the D70 are pretty good though, probably a toss-up with the 14-45mm as the best kit lenses out there right now.

I believe say123 has covered the aperture issues, with some very good advice regarding buyruses :p Just to reiterate what say123 said, go out there and fire away! Yup, just shoot at anything, at all angles. Don't worry about taking crap shots, just ask yourself why the lousy shots are lousy. (IMHO 80% of my shots are crap, but as such I have more opportunities to learn! :bsmilie:)

And don't be distracted by all the noise about noise; it does not make a good capture bad. If you need an example, look for photos posted by student; he turns noise into an artform. :thumbsup:

Don't worry. Shoot and shoot and shoot again. 4 months and Blu is still learning the sweet spot of them lens. most of them bad shots are the focus and playing around with the depth...as for composition...that's a different story..it's either you have it or you don't..and in blu's case it's don't have.

So far, less than 0.1% of all blu's shots take are acceptable.(Nothing new in blu's shooting history...at least it's cheaper then shooting in film)

It all sums up to equipment is fantastic...blu is crab!!!! :bsmilie:

Don't worry. Shoot and shoot and shoot again. 4 months and Blu is still learning the sweet spot of them lens. most of them bad shots are the focus and playing around with the depth...as for composition...that's a different story..it's either you have it or you don't..and in blu's case it's don't have.

So far, less than 0.1% of all blu's shots take are acceptable.(Nothing new in blu's shooting history...at least it's cheaper then shooting in film)

It all sums up to equipment is fantastic...blu is crab!!!! :bsmilie:

hey, me too like that also.....dun know how to composition..oop not dun know, is dun have at all..:cry:

so try sport photog but cant get the focus spot on..sigh:( was at the HSBC wakeboard 2006 but all tele pic can't focus properly...think i need to operate my hand lio..

Status
Not open for further replies.