It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
basket chong! who said so? ;p i am tired of the Penang, Anekarasa stuff over here.
the curry mee here is a ridiculous version of laksa

Alamak..... I think hor... most prob you only go one time... after that you will complain price expensive lah, location too ulu lah... service to lousy lah... little wonder your favorite restaruant is your friend's house... :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Alamak..... I think hor... most prob you only go one time... after that you will complain price expensive lah, location too ulu lah... service to lousy lah... little wonder your favorite restaruant is your friend's house... :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

wait till i go over to your coast, i will clobber you !! :bsmilie::bsmilie:

It's okay for Singlish-speakers to try to speak proper english, but it is NOT okay for proper english-speakers to try to speak Singlish! :sweat:

:thumbsup: how true.

At the end of the day, Singlish, English, Chinglish, whateverlish you were using, it's for communication. As long as you can communicate, does it matter? Unfortunately, Singlish is one of the hardest "***lish" to understand.

Wow, so many people from the Bay Area :) I love the Bay Area.

which city would that be?

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Prima Taste is actually pretty popular with the locals! It's new and the decor is clean and modern. No tacky SQ-girl kebaya. Singaporean food is finally getting the recognition it deserves! I also remember reading a short write up about "Singapore Street Food" in GOOD Magazine.

Anyone here watches Top Chef on Bravo TV? (It's like Project Runway for chefs.) In the one of the episodes (I think it's called Restaurant Wars) in the latest season one of the chefs actually tried to make laksa! But she crashed and burned. Anthony Bourdain (guest judge for that episode) said it was nothing like laksa at all. Well he should know, there's a photo of him at the 328 Katong Laksa place that I adore...

It's okay for Singlish-speakers to try to speak proper english, but it is NOT okay for proper english-speakers to try to speak Singlish! :sweat:

Oh you are so elitist! :p
I think it's cool when ang mohs try to speak Singlish... they NEVER get the placement of the particles right! Guess there's more to Singlish than it being just "bad English".

Actually I think Singaporean English sounds okay... it's Singaporean Chinese that I can't stand. It sounds terrible. I don't ever want to lose my Singaporean English accent, but the Chinese one I hope to shake off and replace it with something more elegant sounding.

lol. enough about accents.
I noticed some of you talking about Prima Taste stuff. There's a Prima Taste resto in my city and I've been there a few times to satisfy my SG food cravings... $7-9 for a bowl of Laksa oh man... I don't believe it. It only costs $3 (or is it $4 now?) at my favourite Katong stall...

really? i think singaporean chinese is fine though it does sound a bit "chor lor" compared to how other nationalities speak chinese. i have some taiwanese friends and god when they speak chinese, i CRINGE! way too whiney for me. same.... a plate of fried kway teow here is $8.50-$9 and bubble tea is $5-$6. :(

Oh you are so elitist! :p
I think it's cool when ang mohs try to speak Singlish... they NEVER get the placement of the particles right! Guess there's more to Singlish than it being just "bad English".

I'm not elitist! I just can't stand it when my ang moh husband tries to speak Singlish. It sounds really dumb! ;p

I think they should offer a Singlish course in Oxbridge and MIT and Havard for Ang Moh to learn our wonderful Singlish.

Si Boh? :D

I think they should offer a Singlish course in Oxbridge and MIT and Havard for Ang Moh to learn our wonderful Singlish.

Si Boh? :D

I think we should aim lower first - Pimsleur Singlish.

basket chong! who said so? ;p i am tired of the Penang, Anekarasa stuff over here. the curry mee here is a ridiculous version of laksa

The Penang restaurant near me closed down last year.
The new Indian restaurant that took over is rumoured to be coming up on Chef Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares Season II. :bsmilie:

wassup chong, i long time no come online in this forum.

I've tried the Straits Restaurant in San Jose:thumbsd:, the Straits Cafe in SF:thumbsd:, and one other place in Mountain View:thumbsd:... The food they serve taste good, but not like the real deal.

Has anyone tried the Our Town restaurant in Dublin?

I've tried the Straits Restaurant in San Jose:thumbsd:, the Straits Cafe in SF:thumbsd:, and one other place in Mountain View:thumbsd:... The food they serve taste good, but not like the real deal.

Has anyone tried the Our Town restaurant in Dublin?

I'll give Our Town a try the next time I go there - it's only about 10 minutes drive from my house.

Shiok in Menlo Park has some good dishes the last time I tried. I'll give the Straits Cafe in Palo Alto a thumbs down as well. There's a bunch of Malaysian / Singapore places around, one in Union City (near the Marina Supermarket at Decoto and Alvarado-Niles) and of course Banana Leaf and Penang Garden in Milpitas. There's supposed to be one in downtown San Mateo, and one near the Marina Supermarket in Foster City.

All these places are in the South Bay! :(

I feel sorry for you, lennyl! It's so freakin' hot over there. I work in Livermore and a little part of me melts everytime I go to and from work. Berkeley isn't a whole lot better, but at least it's near the water.

I feel sorry for you, lennyl! It's so freakin' hot over there. I work in Livermore and a little part of me melts everytime I go to and from work. Berkeley isn't a whole lot better, but at least it's near the water.

Yeah, these couple of days has been bad, and I heard Saturday will only be a little bit cooler. Livermore - that's got to be bad. How hot did it get on Friday? Over in San Mateo, my car's thermometer said it's over 100 F around 1 p.m. Even now past 10 p.m. it's still fairly warm.

Edit : OK, found the restaurant in Dublin online - it's called Old Town Cafe.

Yeah, these couple of days has been bad, and I heard Saturday will only be a little bit cooler. Livermore - that's got to be bad. How hot did it get on Friday? Over in San Mateo, my car's thermometer said it's over 100 F around 1 p.m. Even now past 10 p.m. it's still fairly warm.

Edit : OK, found the restaurant in Dublin online - it's called Old Town Cafe.

Wahhh... now this thread becomes california restaruant guide... LOL I gave up on looking for singaporean food... now i make do with vietnamese food in san jose... cheap and good... :bsmilie:

Wahhh... now this thread becomes california restaruant guide... LOL I gave up on looking for singaporean food... now i make do with vietnamese food in san jose... cheap and good... :bsmilie:

Yeah strange how this thread changes directions :) Speaking of food, is there anything better than those frozen durians in Ranch 99 supermarket? I'd like to bring some to the office potluck next time :bsmilie:

Yeah strange how this thread changes directions :) Speaking of food, is there anything better than those frozen durians in Ranch 99 supermarket? I'd like to bring some to the office potluck next time :bsmilie:

U could get Durian there? the best i could find was the round stick durian cake =(

I know this is bad. but.. bah kwa any takers? I cant seem to find there and always had to smuggle through the immigration =(

Status
Not open for further replies.