It's tough being a Singaporean overseas sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the tone in his voice and attitute like "You're Chinese, this is the only version for you" that pissed us off.

Yeah, a lot of Chinese seem to have that attitude, unfortunately.

The language and the way it is spoken can tell apart anyone.
Living in shanghai, singapore both nationalities in my eyes can be told apart very easily once you listen to a conversation. I don't speak Mandarin but Singaporeans speak it more politely.
Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Singaporean. All very easy to tell apart

You cannot expect others to not classify you as Chinese when you do it yourself in the very next sentence - the noun in "Singaporean Chinese" is still "Chinese", with "Singaporean" only as an adjective. I.e. you put the Chinese-ness above the Singaporean-ness.

Not to mention that there are lots of Singaporeans of non-Chinese heritage who would hardly be mistaken for Chinese nationals.

You don't have to pick on me like that. You have obviously twisted the meaning. My "Singaporean Chinese" means I am a Singaporean of the Chinese race. Even in forms you still have to fill in "Race: Chinese". If you want to abandon your Chinese roots, go ahead. Next time fill in "Race: Singaporean". How else would you write then? "Singapore Chinese", "3rd-generation Chinese in Singapore"? They still mean the same thing. Well, there's a perfect word for you: Singapore-born Chinese (SBC). Even with this word, you can't shake your Chineseness away, old buddy.

Oh talk about being overseas... I just came back from Maldives and remembered one of the chats I had with my tour guide:

Tour Guide:: Hi, you don't look local. Where are you from sir?
Mee:: I'm from Singapore! :)
TG:: Oh that's part of China right?
Mee:: Sorry to disappoint you but we are neighbours to Malaysia and Indonesia. Never part of China.
TG:: Oh... you look pretty dark for a Chinese guy.
Mee:: :bigeyes: :bsmilie: *... took out my camera...*

Another incident at resort.

Service Staff:: @% #$&( (**&@....
Mee:: Huh?
SS:: Oh are you a guess here?
Mee:: Yeah!
SS:: Sorry I thought you are a local.
Mee:: :bsmilie:

Service Staff:: @% #$&( (**&@....
Mee:: Huh?
SS:: Oh are you a guess here?
Mee:: Yeah!
SS:: Sorry I thought you are a local.
Mee:: :bsmilie:

man...LOL!!

I was in Alsace, France for ~3days, only a handful of asians seen at the more touristy locations. Yes, one hotel had like 5-6 staff discussing as I was checking out, and finally one asked me which part of China does Singapore belong.....

At other locations, many shop-attendants were thinking really hard when they last saw Asians, I guess Singaporeans are like Martians who visit once a millienium! But it does feel good to be so far away from home and not hearing Singlish at the next table!

I was on a bus in New York and struck up a conversation with a black guy sitting next to me.

Naturally he wanted to know where I came from.

I told him Singapore. And it drew a blank.

After some more explanation I drew another blank.

I was tired after carrying a heavy camera bag going around shooting. So I sighed and said, "Well, it's just a Little Red Dot."

You know what the black guy replied?

"Hey man you don't mean Mee Siam Mai Ham?"

:D

You mean you laugh before reading the joke? :bsmilie:
LOL!! No la... I dunno what's up with the forum lately. I saw your post first but then I can't quote it... oh well... nevertheless, you are still the king of kopitiam. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: To more good years!

Once I was walking in Paris a French policeman stopped me and asked: "Où est-ce que vous allez?"

I was taken aback as I couldn't speak French. So I replied, "Bei Hiaw Kon lah."

He looked at me and said, "You Where from?"

I said, "Sin Ka Pore."

He seemed not to understand me, "Excusez-moi?"

So I said, "Great Wall."

Now he seemed to be happy with my reply and waved me away.

hehee
instead of saying "great wall" , next time you should try
vomiting lion fish , drinking too much tiger beer

that oughta get them
:bsmilie:

I was on a bus in New York and struck up a conversation with a black guy sitting next to me.

Naturally he wanted to know where I came from.

I told him Singapore. And it drew a blank.

After some more explanation I drew another blank.

I was tired after carrying a heavy camera bag going around shooting. So I sighed and said, "Well, it's just a Little Red Dot."

You know what the black guy replied?

"Hey man you don't mean Mee Siam Mai Ham?"

:D

You're kidding right....

You're kidding right....

Mee Siam Mai Hum made it to Technorati's ranked list during that time..it was..global in a sense.

Anyone searching for Singapore in the ITunes store podcast directory, would find the mrbrown show.

Mee Siam Mai Hum made it to Technorati's ranked list during that time..it was..global in a sense.

Anyone searching for Singapore in the ITunes store podcast directory, would find the mrbrown show.

Wow I didnt know it made it to iTunes! Mr Brown's parody was certainly a classic!

when i was in vietnam, our bus from hanoi to hoi an broke down. my friend and i were standing by the driver's door talking when a bunch of angry ang mohs approached us and started asking me when the bus would be fixed, i was really puzzled and asked them how the hell would i know. "but you're the driver, no?" and then i replied i was a tourist just like them and he was damn pai seh and walked off.

same incident, a few minutes later i was waiting to use a toilet. ang moh mother kpkb to her daughter she was menstruating or something. the daughter told her, "MOM! you don't have to say that so loud" and she replied no one could understand and that's when i said "nope, i understand english perfectly" then smiled at the daughter, again the pai seh look from the ang mohs.

much earlier in the trip, my buddy and i met this aussie kid who had never left his country till now. nice boy, but quite ignorant and filled with stereotypes. said to us, "you're chinese, so you know kung fu right??! "

the vietnamese for some reason think i look japanese...even in singapore once when i was shopping at j8, this aunty thought i was japanese.

LOL!! No la... I dunno what's up with the forum lately. I saw your post first but then I can't quote it... oh well... nevertheless, you are still the king of kopitiam. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: To more good years!

Maybe it is because your broadband speed is faster than light :bsmilie:

Hey, maybe you should use it to check stock prices!

wah, this thread is getting interesting...

i was in east java recently. after a long car journey, i stopped by this biscuit shop to use its loo. After i came out, the seller asked me 'Where are you from?' I replied; 'Singapura' (Singapore in malay)..then she paused and think...'oh..singapura asli, ye?' (direct translation; are you singapore original/made in singapore?'..i was like 'huh, got pirated one meh?'

then again in Singapore, while chattin to my friend on the phone and finishin my drink before boarding the train, this filipino woman waiting for her friend overhead my conversation and asked me 'did you just speak tagalog? Are you filipino or indonesian?'...i replied; 'neither, i'm singaporean''

and there were times chinese ppl spoke Mandarin to me, assuming i'm chinese;will reply then in whateva little knowledge of mandarin i know LOL

:dunno: so now i'm still figuring out what i look like

Status
Not open for further replies.