it's going up again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah but they never say that.... instead the public transport companies will quote figures of how much more manpower they need to get, more trains they need to put on the line etc etc and then end of the year post a handsome profit..

ya lor ya lor. either that PR person is very cute w the reasoning or they think we r very stupid. hehhee...

It's a good topic for discussion....

I need some feedback here. Have been questioning about the lifestyle here lately, with regards to traveling around Singapore.

I love traveling and from my experience, I have to admit that Singapore's transport system is one of the best in the world. In that it takes you around most places you want to get to. I always admire the tourists who come here cos of the convenience and to them, the cheap travel fares. You never really need to rent a car if you want to tour around here.

I don't find buying a car practical cos I live near to the MRT station and my workplace is just a near 10-min walk away from another MRT station. I can't imagine how much I have saved just NOT to own a car. I have seen colleagues, married and single, struggle so much in their monthly expenditure simply cos they CHOOSE to own a car.

I can't deny it's so tempting to want to buy a car here especially when I shop for many things and want to get to a certain place fast (only outside the rush hour!).

I'm not sure how many of you have considered this, but the thought of leaving the car at my workplace for 8 or more hours each day doesn't make economic sense to own one. It will take only about 20 minutes to drive from my home to workplace everyday. So to buy a car, I will only use it for 40 mins a day, while it rests at my workplace and home carparks for the rest of 23 hours 20 mins!

I take comfort knowing I never have to fret about more ERP gantries being built, prices of ERP and petrol increaing, car breaking down, servicing, etc. When the COE prices went down that time, I knew sometime ill was about to happen. Sure enough. Hey, we have "smart" authorities here, don't we? No cheap lunches, remember.

However, not owning a car does not ease my lifestyle totally. Every morning/evening, sometimes its just a drag to have to squeeze with the awful crowd of passengers. It doesn't help that sometimes, many of these people have no social manners and jump queue or push their way in. As someone mentioned here, the number of public transport commuters is increasing. And the government I think wants to make the population here hit more than 6 million?! *dread* You can imagine the mess.

Anyway, the thought of how much I'm saving makes the above bearable.

What I lament most is the lack of opportunity to "practice" my driving skills. Ever since I've passed my driving several years back, I can literally count the number of times I've driven on the roads. Once! This is bad cos driving lessons ain't cheap here and I'm not "getting back" what I paid for.

And one handicap is, when I travel overseas, very often it's good to rent a car. The lack of driving experience means I have to forego using a car to move around. For some countries, it's just impossible not to drive.

So I think there are pros and cons to owning or not owning a car here. I wonder if others have similar thots/experience as I do. What do you do? Please share!

Its a win or win-win for the one who implement ERP.
If ERP can reduce traffic congestion and make money, its a win-win.
If ERP doesn't reduce traffic congestion, it still makes money, so those people on top will still be happy.

Travelling in CBD is like stepping into a minefield, if you didn't plan your route properly, good luck to you.

Tavelling in cab within CBD is also going to be super costly now :cry:

Sighz..... it this issue again. It's kind of no point "discussing" as it wont help or do any good for this issues but only just able to release some of your anger or unhappiness here.

anyone one know the chinese words call "officials"? 官 some might know what this mean for :)

An "ordinary people" like us will "never understand" those level of "mighty" thinking for a nation. If we know or can, we wont be here talking about this.

What we can do is just suck thumb and move forwards. Everywhere there is a price to stay and the breathe of every single of oxygen u take.

right hand give and left hand take double portions..:thumbsd:

SMRT is a public company. The money is shared among the owners. ...sob! I am not a share holder of SMRT.

ERP is never a tool to curb traffic congestion... it's a revenue collection tool! Period!

to add to Andreq,

Since 1 June, my car was involved in a minor accident and has been stuck in the workshop due to lack of a certain sparepart. Its the 1st time in my 21 years of working life to live without a car ...... & I felt a little apprehensive about how I will move about.

For the last 2 weeks, I moved around Singapore by BMT (Bus, MRT, Taxi), and I must say, if I do not travel during peak hours, its quite pleasant, affordable and comfortable! It takes me about 30 minutes to 45 minutes to get most of my destinations and I do not need to fret about ERP or carpark space or carpack coupons or petrol ...... Now I am giving serious thoughts about taking the step to get rid of the car.

ERP is never a tool to curb traffic congestion... it's a revenue collection tool! Period!

that's because a fraction of population die-die must own cars? :think:

It's easy for you to say, Option of Not owning cars is the options for office based workers.

I too would not want to have the burden of the car, but my job requires me to travel around.
I wish I can take public transport to meet my client, but I can't.

4million ERP transaction a month, each transaction average $1. I don't feel the difference after the ERP have been installed. Only difference i felt is in my wallet

Status
Not open for further replies.