ITE student, 16 killed in road accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO, the drivers here in Singapore are just too impatient and horrid.
Probably think they own the road seeing how much they paid for the cars, COE, ERP etc.
There's very little tolerance shown towards cyclists.
They would zoom past cyclists and stuff.
Very despisable.
I am a cyclist, I adhere to road rules, can't say for most of the drivers here.
I cycled in the States as well, there are bicycle lanes on the road, drivers are courteous to drivers, they keep a distance away unlike here, even if I tried to take up as little space on the road by cycling on or near double yellow lines, cars still tried to squeeze past me.
Seriously, need to inplant a courteous chip in their heads!~

I agree with you. Seen many drivers who don't seem to give a damn about the bikes, and worse case those who can't keep their car in the lane properly (many I've seen). They are sometimes so close to the bikes that few inches and the biker will be in big trouble. But then there are also many bikers who ride like life is worth nuthin. So I guess there are problematic ones in both drivers and bikers :bsmilie: All we can do is be more careful lo

Saw an accident just now, near AMK St 31. Some guy came out from a junction and banged a motorbike who was going straight. Luckily the biker seemed slighly injured but the bike was in pretty bad condition already.

Hi All,

First of all My sincere condolence to the family.

Most of the time cyclists are youngsters. These youngsters normally very active,fast thinking and stylish. They are the future of singapore. I wont like to impose ban on cycle/cyclists What we cannot and should not do is :

Sorry to OT, but of course if too many cyclists are dying on out roads, we all should do our part AND MAKE MORE BABIES TO REPLACE THE DEAD !!!

Once again, sorry but couldn't resist the temptation to post!

In protest, why not let down every ones tyers (except for the car with the number plate ANG416).

Yes you can. And I will do the same to yours or anyone's. What's wrong with calling someone a young punk? To me it means 'an inexperienced young man' and nothing else worse than that.

Btw, I have nothing against cyclists or those on motorbikes. I used to ride on those too. I just hope people are more careful and not take for granted the drivers are always looking.

i seriously doubt you would want to call my or anyone else's child a young punk without even knowing them... no skill, no tact, no class. your meaning of it and mine are two very different things and a word like that is a word that can spark heated feelings especially when someone could die...i find it ridiculous to even point this out but then again...what you see is what you get and you should not expect or hope for anything more. i find it incredible how difficult it can be to find a drop of deep thought or compassion at times. anyways, no point with this discussion for me...kharma brother.

Most Scandinavian countries have bicycle lanes. But I don't think there is space in Singapore.

can't believe it. none of you actually give a heck about the driver's son. i do feel sad about the victim being killed, but i'm worried too about a 6 year old boy having such experience. traumatised for life man, for life.

can't believe it. none of you actually give a heck about the driver's son. i do feel sad about the victim being killed, but i'm worried too about a 6 year old boy having such experience. traumatised for life man, for life.

at least hes not dead..

Most Scandinavian countries have bicycle lanes. But I don't think there is space in Singapore.

we have space for 6.5 million people and not enough space one miserable bicycle lane? :dunno:

we have space for 6.5 million people and not enough space one miserable bicycle lane? :dunno:
you think the garhment will spend the money to expand the roads for cyclists? even if you have the lanes, the cyclists wont make full use of it anyways. moot point there.

Unless u are talking abt turning roads into places for living, Singapore is oredi damned small! I'd rather have more flats den damned bicycle lanes.

The width of the lanes of Singapore road are not the same and sometimes it is just enough for a vehicle to pass through. When there's a cyclist sharing the space on a relatively busy road, it is really dangerous. Sometimes I steer to avoid being too close to the cyclist but become too close to the oncoming vehicle...:sweat:

Unless u are talking abt turning roads into places for living, Singapore is oredi damned small! I'd rather have more flats den damned bicycle lanes.
If we chop down all the trees which block buildings when you take photos.

We'll have spaces for bicycle lanes! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: And better photos!

I am a driver. I have also been to European countries and seen their cyclists in their bicycle lanes... My thoughts are as follows:

1. Bicycle lanes may help, but I don't think it's the solution. Even in Europe, not all roads have bicycle lanes. Cyclists are still exposed to the risk on those roads.

2. European cyclists are mostly very competent. They are mostly safe, and they cycle quite fast and in a stable manner.

3. Cyclists in Singapore are mostly incompetent, especially those foreign workers. They cycle in a wobbly fashion, with complete disregard for cars. On rainy days, some of they carry umbrellas with one hand and cycle with the other. They also like to carry their 'da-bao' food with one hand and cycle with the other. They not only endanger their own lives, but also the drivers'.

4. I think we should update our highway code, so that we know what is the right way to behave next to these bicycles. Should we wait behind them while they wobble along? Usually, I just try to filter a bit to the right to overtake them... but that's risky business because they are really very incompetent cyclists.

5. We should license cyclists who want to cycle on public roads. Make sure they know the highway code, and can cycle straight. Make sure they know how to signal, etc. But this is not easy because we don't mind if incompetent cyclists wobble along in the residential estates. But when they get onto major roads and highways... that's a different story altogether. It's not easy to draw the line. We don't want to restrict people's rights unnecessarily, but we don't want incompetent cyclists to endanger themselves as well as other road users.

I'm sure LTA will figure this out in a matter of time. In the meantime, I think drivers should be careful and patient and try not to kill anyone. Cyclists should go to East Coast and practice their cycling before going onto major roads. And carrying an umbrella while cycling??? What can I say?

The groupd that cycle up Thomson-Sembawang rd is growing by the week, last Sat a group of over 100 cyclist took up all of one lane on the left with a few impatient ones spilling into the middle lane. It is obviously an informal group as there is no police outriders accompanying them.....as I turned into YCK Rd, a pair ware spotted riding abreast chatting away...In both instances, cars had to slow down and filter out to overtake them......I gues they see strength in numbers, and I would pity any cars knocking any of them as these 100 plus cyclist may just get nasty.....

Status
Not open for further replies.