It is spelt as "L-e-n-s"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no English teacher, so not qualified to "mark" the speeling (i like this one!) here... any teachers want to volunteer? hahaha:bsmilie:

best I've come across so far:

Shuttle speed, tripot

and when film was still popular,... "filem"

No, is "flim" (hockkian), "film" is pronounce in english

Ah. I remember trying to do this some time ago. It's amazing how people are resistant to correction and how easily they take offence at being corrected. I almost got kicked out of the forum because of it.

I hope the threadstarter has better luck than I. :thumbsup: :)

Another one is the misuse of word 'gears'. 'Gear' is plural, like 'cutlery' and 'mail'.

So it is 'camera gear' not 'camera gears' and 'camera equipment' not 'camera equipments'.

And another one is the use of 'grap' when they mean 'grab'.

Is it "Passionate about the cause of cancer" or "Passionate about the cause for cancer"? I saw a headline sidestepping and used "Passionate about Cancer Cause" instead.

Used to confuse these two while I was young, till I figure out buy = no 'r' so past tense also no 'r'=>bought; bring have 'r', so past tense also have 'r' =>brought. Hee hee

Past tense of buy => bought
Past tense of bring => brought

A major Singaporean error which 99% of Singaporeans make
--> There is no "irregardless". It is simply, "regardless". "Irregardless" is an invention unique to Singapore, but almost all Singaporeans(including many local English teachers!) use it.

Another one is the misuse of word 'gears'. 'Gear' is plural, like 'cutlery' and 'mail'.

So it is 'camera gear' not 'camera gears' and 'camera equipment' not 'camera equipments'.

And another one is the use of 'grap' when they mean 'grab'.

And as far as nouns go, the plural of "stuff" is still "stuff".

No stuffs.

(And there ain't no such thing as "staffs" either...)

A major Singaporean error which 99% of Singaporeans make
--> There is no "irregardless". It is simply, "regardless". "Irregardless" is an invention unique to Singapore, but almost all Singaporeans(including many local English teachers!) use it.
Contrary to popular believe, there is "irregardless". It's a new coin between irrespective and regardless, increasingly finding its way to dictionaries. Most English words evolve this way, if not all of them. Just that most Singaporeans, including educators (both those who use it and those who claim it doesn't exist) use it in wrong way.

Columbia or Discovery? They have on board cameras you know? :bsmilie:

I got both :lovegrin:

74.jpg

73.jpg

Contrary to popular believe, there is "irregardless". It's a new coin between irrespective and regardless, increasingly finding its way to dictionaries. Most English words evolve this way, if not all of them. Just that most Singaporeans, including educators (both those who use it and those who claim it doesn't exist) use it in wrong way.

Contrary to popular belief...

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.