Isnt prosumer better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is possible to compare shutter life-span of DSLRs and film SLRs..... Not sure how long would it take the average casual photographer to reach 100k-300k shutter count, but my dad's trusty old consumer-range film SLR took 15 years before the shutter "lau-zhap" and died.

The main difference between film and digital photos is that it costs around $10 or so for 36 exposures - film and developing. It'll cost way over $20,000 for 100k exposures.

100 exposures per day, every day, for 3 years = 100k actuations. Not totally beyond the usage of a hobbyist. And there are nutcases who use the multiple frame per seconds of a DSLR to make movies... Some of the results look impressive, but, still, good grief!

The main difference between film and digital photos is that it costs around $10 or so for 36 exposures - film and developing. It'll cost way over $20,000 for 100k exposures.

100 exposures per day, every day, for 3 years = 100k actuations. Not totally beyond the usage of a hobbyist. And there are nutcases who use the multiple frame per seconds of a DSLR to make movies... Some of the results look impressive, but, still, good grief!

Movies?! That's quite creative haha. Never thought of this 'hidden' function. So MAYBE this diminishes the video advantage that compact prosumers have over SLRs.......... :dunno: haha

Strangely, I haven't heard of many cases of the mirror mechanism wearing out, but have come across many users who wore out the shutter. Typically this happens around 50,000 to 100,000 actuationss for non professional models, around 300,000 actuations for pro models. It is also a number that tells easily how much the camera has been used, like the odometer of a car. A DSLR has many more moving parts than a P&S and mechanical parts wear out.

Curious where could I see the "number" for the number of shots made by a DSLR? The filename numbing can be reseted easily hence it would not be a useful "odometer"... :)

Curious where could I see the "number" for the number of shots made by a DSLR? The filename numbing can be reseted easily hence it would not be a useful "odometer"... :)

Nikon's shutter actuation can be found in the EXIF. So can Canon pro models. Canon's consumer models (including xxD) can be read with special "service software" not available to mere mortals like us. No idea about other makes.

Movies?! That's quite creative haha. Never thought of this 'hidden' function. So MAYBE this diminishes the video advantage that compact prosumers have over SLRs.......... :dunno: haha

There are people who have used D50 to make movie.. I think there is a movie shot entirely with a DSLR.. can't remember which one or which brand was used though.. D60 has a stop motion movie option which converts a series of still frames into a movie.

There are people who have used D50 to make movie.. I think there is a movie shot entirely with a DSLR.. can't remember which one or which brand was used though.. D60 has a stop motion movie option which converts a series of still frames into a movie.

Here's the link..
http://nikonblog.wordpress.com/2007/01/01/opaco-movie-trailer-shot-with-nikon-d50/

and the link to the trailer on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuCAy3fV6x8

Status
Not open for further replies.