Isnt prosumer better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compared to a DSLR, a prosumer is lighter. Most prosumers have in-body image stabilization systems. This eliminates camera shake - so most pictures from prosumers look sharp. Prosumer in-camera processing is configured to produce vibrant colors with good contrast - another reason why the pictures look good. But upon closer scrutiny, do the pictures contain the details as can be captured by a DSLR or does it accurately reflect the scene that one is photographing ? Most likely not.

In the hands of an inexperienced photographer, who most likely do not understand the DSLR tool he is holding, of course you are not going to replicate the results of a prosumer. To make the most out of a DSLR, one must be equipped with the right knowledge. Go beyond the basic ISO, shutter speed, DOF etc and getting to the nitty gritty of knowing the characteristics of the camera body and lens - like what is the camera's default settings when it leaves the factory or where is the sweet spot of the lens that one is using - knowing all these and using the knowledge to your advantage makes a world of difference to producing that good photo. Knowledge is power !

Why do almost all pros and semi pros and serious amateurs use DSLR and not prosumers ? Are they misguided ? Are they wrong in their choice of tool for photography. Surely not. There must be logic and valid reasons to support these statistics.

Dont be like the person who drives an automatic transmissioned toyota corolla (which does everything well) and when he strikes the lottery, goes out and buys a Gallardo but drives it in ONE gear only (cause he is not used to changing gears so continues to engage FIRST gear and step on the accelerator only ) To realize the potential of the Gallardo, one must understand the car, what it was built for, what are its limits and and learn how best to extract the performance of the car. If you are going to buy the car and not learn to drive it to its potential, you shouldn't blame the car for lack of performance !

..:)

i somewat regretted also, unless anyone wants to buy over?
If not i will just start exploring what dslr can offer

Then you should have though of it b4 hand? 4 yrs ago.. when I was looking for a prosumer (sony F828).. at the same time Canon 300D was also on my shopping list. Both about the same price then.. but the

1) Cannot view image in LCD
2) Need to buy lens
3) No live preview (as mentioned)
4) No movie taking ability
5) Plastic... feel cheap

Made me buy the F828. Since then.. being happily shooting away using it until now, which for me hits a limitation.. esp when I need good ISO and fast lens to cover my new born using a 50mm f1.8. So looked past the things that I cannot live with initially.. and decide to venture in DSLR.

now tat i playing DSLR, i beginning to feel its incredible image quality over prosumer.
So no regrets lah.

I would fully agree with the TS over the preview factor, something that most DSLRs cannot do. It would be nice to adjust the exposure on the spot after previewing it, rather than wasting a shutter count and then adjusting accordingly.

You can say that the more experienced photographer will be able to gauge accurately, but even then its not a 100% guarantee. Ah well, I shot less nowadays with my DSLR though, even with that in mind...

I think most vendors have realized this that's why most newer model of DSLR has live view functions. Since the concept is different, it require some time for research and technology growth.
Prosumer in general has smaller sensor, shorter focal length, smaller lens, and the result is less light reaching sensor, more noise, more sensitive to dust, not to mention the limitation of shutter lag & not so convenient in control due to the concept.

Prosumers are great for travelling but as most above will agree, they suck in low-light such as wedding dinners and take pics of crawling babies indoors. I love to have both and use each depending on the situation.

Googled and saw the Lumix specs.. diffference

BTW 18X is not == to image u see can zoom 18X.. it is the longest focal distance / shortest.. in this case it is 504/28 = 18.

I never bothered to find out what the 3X 6X 18X etc means exactly... I learnt something new today thanks! :thumbsup:

Prosumers are great for travelling but as most above will agree, they suck in low-light such as wedding dinners and take pics of crawling babies indoors. I love to have both and use each depending on the situation.

Actually I am using a prosumer camera (FZ50) to take wedding dinners, although it may not be as great as a D300 or 40D in their noise control but coupled with an external TTL bounced flash the shots are not half as bad....

Just my 2 cents... :)

wats the difference?
My lumix can do macro and tele (18x) as well.
Thanks.

As far as I am concerned, I feel that the differences are the depth of field and high ISO noise because of the sensor size and the AF and shutter lag.

Pardon me, IMHO it is not the equipment that matter but the person behind it. Composing the picture is more important than the camera. No point has good quality picture but can't tell the story.

The comparison between prosumers & dSLRs will never cease. Like what ssping83 and bomby929 said above, they both have their pros and cons and in the end, its whether you are able to live with the compromise of each system, overcome the cons and max out the pros that's gonna give you your great shot. Alot of people have both for them to choose during different occasion. If I have both, I THINK I'll most likely use my dSLR indoors for good high ISO performance. =)

Pardon me, IMHO it is not the equipment that matter but the person behind it. Composing the picture is more important than the camera. No point has good quality picture but can't tell the story.

Sometimes, no matter how you compose, you'll find the need to eliminate some of the background or foreground by selective focus. That's what a prosumer (other than the Sony model which sports a APS-C sized sensor) cannot give.

Take this image for instance. I feel that it would have been better if the background were blurred a little more than that. Shot with Panasonic LX2.
LX2-Test01f.jpg

Other than all the listed advantages and disadvantages of a dSLR and a prosumer (noise, lag, weight, costs, flexibility etc), the intangible and indescribeable feeling I got from a dSLR over a prosumer is the satisfying sound of a shutter. :)

Other than all the listed advantages and disadvantages of a dSLR and a prosumer (noise, lag, weight, costs, flexibility etc), the intangible and indescribeable feeling I got from a dSLR over a prosumer is the satisfying sound of a shutter. :)
Prosumer also got shutter sound. But artificial... Lol

Prosumer also got shutter sound. But artificial... Lol

Exactly, some can even adjust volume and choose the sounds! :sticktong Can't beat the flapping of the mirrors!

One thing I am curious.. I understand that quite a number of DSLR user are concern about the shutter count when purchasing a second DSLR camera. Is it due to the lifespan of the shutter or the flipping mirror?

One thing I am curious.. I understand that quite a number of DSLR user are concern about the shutter count when purchasing a second DSLR camera. Is it due to the lifespan of the shutter or the flipping mirror?

Strangely, I haven't heard of many cases of the mirror mechanism wearing out, but have come across many users who wore out the shutter. Typically this happens around 50,000 to 100,000 actuationss for non professional models, around 300,000 actuations for pro models. It is also a number that tells easily how much the camera has been used, like the odometer of a car. A DSLR has many more moving parts than a P&S and mechanical parts wear out.

Strangely, I haven't heard of many cases of the mirror mechanism wearing out, but have come across many users who wore out the shutter. Typically this happens around 50,000 to 100,000 actuationss for non professional models, around 300,000 actuations for pro models. It is also a number that tells easily how much the camera has been used, like the odometer of a car. A DSLR has many more moving parts than a P&S and mechanical parts wear out.

That's because we upgrade before we reach the shutter count.....:bsmilie:

If it is possible to compare shutter life-span of DSLRs and film SLRs..... Not sure how long would it take the average casual photographer to reach 100k-300k shutter count, but my dad's trusty old consumer-range film SLR took 15 years before the shutter "lau-zhap" and died. I think with today's rapid technological advances a DSLR would become obsolete after ten years max, so does shutter count REALLY matter? I mean of course excluding professional photographers who probably snap several hundred frames per day.

Anyway, lau zhap = secreted black shutter oil. Think it's a Canon exclusive product :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.