Is there anything worth buying in HongKong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to this particular building in Mongkok area, can't remember the name or the exact location. Its just like Sim Lim Square, only smaller. Ask around, you might have some luck.

Originally posted by Kit
I've been to this particular building in Mongkok area, can't remember the name or the exact location. Its just like Sim Lim Square, only smaller. Ask around, you might have some luck.

Yup. The place is callled Mong Kok Computer Centre. It's not along the main Mong Kok road but on one of the perpendicular roads. It's a 4-storey building a lot smaller than Sim Lim.

Just ask around.

Originally posted by Ninja

To Rochkoh,

I also went to Fotofile last week. Got a hard time finding this shop as MBK is mega big. There are 3 more shops similar to Fotofile in MBK on the upper floors. All are polite but not as polite as Fotofile. The 2 cute salesgirls smiling at me too.

One of the camera shop at 4th floor sell Provia at S$5.50. The slide processing fee with mounting is only 130 baht. Too bad only 1 day there only.

Haha.. glad you found the salesgirls there cute too. Fotofile is on the ground floor of MBK - facing one of them major roads. Can't miss it. It's close to that big 4/5-star Batu-something Princess Hotel. S$5.50 is a very good price. Was quoted 170Baht at Fotofile (The price tag read 230Baht). 170Baht's something like S$7.25. Still lower than the $8.70-$8.80 average you get in Singapore.

Nikon Authorized Dealer in MBK

nikon.jpg

I went to Wing Shing yesterday to check the prices of some films. It's quite a large store, sligthly bigger than the size of Cathay Photo, Marina Square.

Anyway, here's an update on prices of some films (price for one in HK$/price for 10):

Fujifilm
1. Provia 100F (40/380)
2. Provia 400F (53/510)
3. Velvia (42/410)
4. Sensia 100 (30/290)
5. Reala 100 (26/250)

Kodak
6. Ektachrome E200 (43/420)
7. Ektachrome SW 100 (42/410)

These seems quite comparable to what we could get in Singapore.... and would be cheaper if S$ appreciate.

Also, the actual addresses of Wing-Shing and Man-shing are different. I've highlighted the outdated info in italics and underlined. The actual ones are in bold. I also changed the bumber for Wing-Shing to the one listed in a "supplement".

-Kowloon Photo (in Yau Ma Tei)

-Wing-Shing (in Mong Kok)
66 55-57 Sai Yeung Choi ST., Mongkok, Kowloon
Tel: 2396 6886

-Man Shing (in Mong Kok)
106, Sai Yeung Choi Street, Mongkok, Kowloon
106, Tung Choi Street, Mongkok, Kowloon
Tel: 2396 2996

This may sound silly but.... are the camera accessories/stuffs cheaper than SG? Things like CF cards (microdrive)... Convertor lenses....?
Coz going there in March, wanna see if I can get stuffs cheaper.

When I was there 3 weeks ago... Don't find that the camera accessories are cheaper then Singapore. In fact, I would still get from Singapore, even if they are cheaper by S$10.00... It is not worthy to buy a air ticket and fly over should the item bought failed to work... ;D

Just my 2 cents opinion...

Originally posted by tsystem
This may sound silly but.... are the camera accessories/stuffs cheaper than SG? Things like CF cards (microdrive)... Convertor lenses....?
Coz going there in March, wanna see if I can get stuffs cheaper.

Please note that the address of Man Shing Photo is :
106, Tung Choi Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong Tel:
2396 2996, 2395 6684 Fax: (852) 2395 2127

It's at Tung Choi St NOT Sai Yeung Choi Street. Tung Choi St is just behind Sai Yeung Choi Street (runs parallel to Sai Yeung Choi Street).

I went to Hongkong 3 weeks back and I also thought Man Shing Photo was at Sai Yeung Choi Street but couldn't find the shop. Only could find Wing Shing.

Originally posted by ivor
When I was there 3 weeks ago... Don't find that the camera accessories are cheaper then Singapore. In fact, I would still get from Singapore, even if they are cheaper by S$10.00... It is not worthy to buy a air ticket and fly over should the item bought failed to work... ;D

Just my 2 cents opinion...

;p of course lah.

There are some items though (e.g. Raynox fisheye lens, teleconverters and wide-angle converters) which are not available in Singapore and the prices there are quite reasonable (950HK$ for 1850Pro before bargaining). Also, if you run out of supplies (e.g. film), you won't be paying more there....

Going to Shanghai in three week's time.
Any idea what is the price of digital cameras and accessories there compared to home? Anyone has checked?
Appreciate that.
Thanks.

Hi there, going to Bangkok on the 1st. Anyone with information on what is available there? Addresses if you have. I may buy lots of equipment can bring some back for others. :bigeyes:

does anyone know if the info provided in this thread is still updated? any shop closed? moved etc?

planning to go HK soon to buy some gear. No address of Monkok camera shop, is it beside cheers?

thanks in advance
rolento

Anyone can update this thread? Going to HK soon and intending to get a D70s and maybe the 70-200 VR there.

Thanks a bunch.

jamestan said:
Anyone can update this thread? Going to HK soon and intending to get a D70s and maybe the 70-200 VR there.

Thanks a bunch.

I was in HK in June. Bought a Nikon 24-120mm VR for a friend from Man Shing for HK$3700. About S$805, depending on exchange rate. Nice shop, nice displays. Staff were polite.

Here are some links which may help.

http://www.bubbachan.com/photoshopHK/shophk.htm
http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk
http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?page=photo/cameraprice.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.