Is the 50mm f/1.4 AFD phasing out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
I heard that it's phasing out soon? heard that the production will stop for AFD and be replaced with G. If so, I will get it ASAP when available, cos' right now, I'm still considering between the 1.4 and f1.8. I'm thinking of trying the f1.8 first and get the f1.4 later should I feel the need to do so.

Any word about it? :dunno:

i got the 1.8, then sold it and got the 1.4.
yes, the AF-S is going to be the only one left if you dont move fast.
i personally feel that the 1.4 is worth the extra $250 or so, although the marginal improvement might not appeal to u.
the AF-S version is abit better than the D but it'll cost abit more.

so the jump from the 1.8 to the 1.4G will cost u almost $600...

i recommend the 1.4D. if you're gonna use it often, enough, and well, why not splash for something better?
i feel that the bokeh of the 1.4 is much much better than that of the 1.8.. and you get that 2/3 of a stop.. so it's worth it

just my 2 cents

It is a no brainer that Nikon will phase out the 1.4D and they are probably clearing the current unsold inventory and until they have depleted all the parts they have on hand in their supply chain.

The AF-S is clearly better in contrast, focus consistency and wide open but it does so at a premium which may or may not be justified depending what you are after. You cannot go wrong with the 1.4D given its price either new or second hand. The AF-D is a fine lens in all regards and will continue to hold its value. For some who are worried of the AF-S motor failing prematurely, the AF-D may very well make you sleep better at night.

I have just ordered the 50mm f/1.8. I find it's good enough for me, hence my decision. Thanks for your advice anyway.

If I can't get the f/1.4 AFD in the future, will just have to live with my decision anyway. Yup, I just don't get why Nikon wants to phase out this excellent product when they can still profit in volume.

Phasing out the cheaper AFD in bad times like this only worsens the situation for us which may affect their sales numbers too.

Hopefully Nikon comes up with some other value-for-money products in the near future.

Anyone has any idea about the new Nikon DX 35mm f/1.8?

Make a guess of the price...
A G lens... definitely not a D as it does not tell u the distance it focuses!
AF-S
M/A and M
7 blade diaphragm

http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=1310-8934b9b612

Do u think this phasing out may be coupled with this new DX entry?
BTW, I almost though Nikon is giving up on DX... :p

Rgds,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.