Is my camera not good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can see the guy clearly and the taxi license plate clearly both were moving and going to become out of sight at the last minute. This was taken with zoom and picture was cropped and resized.

Even a $50 compact can do that in the day.

Dont be too.amazed or.disappointed with ur camera based on the images u get just snapping away.

Learn what the exposure triangle is all about. Learn what settings should be used (typically) for different scenarios.

You have a good camera. Don't disappoint it.

Reactions: Shizuma
I am for one glad you don't own a 1Dx and complain about image quality.
eg. "Why I attach my 500-series speedlite and how come I can't illuminate the whole of MBS with it?"

Your camera/phone does have higher end specs than mine (and even the early model pro cameras). It seems the issue is operator competency. You would miss a barndoor shooting like this.

Reactions: Yamakasi
based on your descriptions,i feel that the main problem lies behind the person capturing the images.
no doubt a better camera will give a better Image Quality,but at this stage,u should brush up your skill first until u know what's limiting u before u upgrade...otherwise,even if u have the best camera,the photo will still be the same..just my 2 cents and no offence to you..cheers.

My advise... TS, do read your manual on the QX100 carefully, there ought to have many things explained inside. As for very noisy pics, well... if you step up your ISO too much, there are bound to have these image degrades, nothing to be worried about.

Not sure if I can sum up for you:

ISO: 100/200/400/800..... The higher the numbers, the grainy it will be.
Aperture: F1.8/F2.0/F2.4/F.2.8..... The amount of light that enters through your lens
Shutter Speed: 1, 1/10, 1/50, 1/100..... The length of time your shutter is open when taking a photograph.

Your safest bet of shooting with your camera consistently good is to set to Aperture Priority, your camera will adjust your shutter speed and ISO for you. DO NOT SET AUTO, you will learn shits and sometimes it is not reliable.

Some circumstance you will face:
Shooting at Day time
• Aperture f1.8 for "bokeh" effects (shooting objects) or f4.0 and above for shooting group picture or a scenery. If you set to Aperture Priority, ISO is normally between 100-400, meaning your picture won't be so grainy.

• For freezing shots, adjust your shutter speed to 400/800, ISO might go up to 400
(seldom take these kind of crap pictures, so I'm not too sure)

Shooting at Night time
• Shooting object or a person, set it to ISO400, maxed ISO800 with aperture F1.8, you need a steady hand.

• Shooting a scenery, if you want fine pictures, not grainy, use a tripod, set ISO100, you might need to adjust your exposure compensation too. If you dun have tripod, can use your hand, but set your ISO higher, it will be grainy, detailed is impossible.

• Freeze shot at night? quite impossible with your camera, even with flash, dun try, hahaha.....

Shooting Indoor
• Your safest setting is ISO400 with F2.8 on generic shots, and a steady hand, no tripod or flash needed.

My last advice: If you in a rush, dun bother to shoot, take your time and find a good angle, you have a good camera which can shoot some ridiculous angles, utilise it to its max. Good luck.

Last edited:
Can lah. The camera is good enough.

Lens is good enough, but you're not pushing yourself at all. If you want clean night shots, go out with a tripod, lower your ISO, and have patience while taking the photo. You expectation shouldn't be on the lens, but on yourself. Learn about shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and how they compliment each other first

ts has been posting quite abit of photos in all the different subforums. if you are interested to take better photos, then maybe you will first need to read up or take a look at what other people are doing, and what you are doing wrong, instead of blaming the equipment, the situation or the settings. its like i suddenly want to pick up rifle shooting as a hobby, but i loaded the rounds into the barrel and then blame the target for moving too fast.

Thanks for all comments and advice given especially to post #25 by rwhite.

I second the recommendation on Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.
Good luck and have fun!

Lens is good enough, but you're not pushing yourself at all. If you want clean night shots, go out with a tripod, lower your ISO, and have patience while taking the photo. You expectation shouldn't be on the lens, but on yourself. Learn about shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and how they compliment each other first

.....and patience

I hate to say this bro... but you are shooting at ISO 6400, F1.8 and handheld and you are complaining about noise and grains =.=... Even I who seriously started wanting to learn about proper exposures and stuff know that its impossible to take landscapes at that sort of settings and conditions. Try searching on the net on how to take landscapes properly if it isnt enough try looking for books on the topic. Look at how others in the forums or professionals take their photographs and try to achieve what they have done. I know I have been trying this method of learning.

conversely I suggest thread starter seriously just buy a top end DSLR and L equivalent lenses and stop complaining

You mentioned 6400 iso earlier? That's shutter speed. I need to check camera settings again.

You sure that camera can shoot at 1/6400s?

You sure that camera can shoot at 1/6400s?

thread starter is newbie but don't want to learn or don't wish to listen . I truly hope that he is ten years old else very disappointed with his emotional development

Last edited:
Using the right settings to get the right image, you take some you lose some. Its a delicate game of balance. Most modern cameras are capable of making good images in good hands. Take good advice seriously or learn the hard way. Keep shooting and practising. :)

I bought a QX100 lens camera recently.

I took some night shots and well i feel that the leaves that it takes doesn't look too good at night. I know that night pictures tend to be blurer and produce more noise when you increase the ISO but please tell me if these types of pictures are what most cameras will produce.

No tripod stand used all hand held.

Picture size at 17 - 20mp so they are much larger than a HD screen.

This is taken with full zoom function. The shutter speed was i think around 6400 or higher i forgot. Appture at 1.8 i think

Picture looks kind of grainy here for these 2 shots

Is my camera ok?

I think that's the problem with newer cameras these days, where ISO can be boosted up to 25,600 and beyond, and better sensors.

We tend to get lazy and prefer to stretch the cam, more than our skills.

I fall culprit to this at times, blaming more on my equipment rather than studying ways time improve my shots.

I think that's the problem with newer cameras these days, where ISO can be boosted up to 25,600 and beyond, and better sensors.

We tend to get lazy and prefer to stretch the cam, more than our skills.

I tend to disagree with you. A good photographer would make full use of whatever equipment he/she had. So there really is nothing wrong with stretching your camera to its limit or even past its limit (if possible). But I agree with you that skills are important. Because it would set your photos apart from others.

TS has not be log in for some time, unlikely will read your comments direct to him.

time to move on..... and keep shooting.

TS has not be log in for some time, unlikely will read your comments direct to him.

time to move on..... and keep shooting.

He's out busy collecting next lots of photos to post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.