Is it safe to use gaffer tape on camera body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drudkh said:
So far I've only seen 1 guy who gaffered up his entire silver 300D body. It looks very neat and nice, and I could not recognise the cam at all!
U must be referring to my silver 300D which is now...BLACK!!! :D
My skills not bad right :D
Well....next time let someone take photo of my 300D & post here for everyone to see :lovegrin:

guess we can argue until the cows come home or when singapore wins the world cup abt to gaffer or not. :p

honestly? one man's meat is the other poison. if u just ur cam just the way it is without all the ugly black tape, so be it. if u like to protect ur investment and black tape it, so be it. dun need to castigate or lambast people who do it, rite?

i gaffer becos (a) i'm a klutz, (b) i perspire a lot - ie sweaty palms and face, and (c) oily face. all these things messes up my cam. yeah. so it looks ugly. but heck, its worth it. for the buyers of my previous 300D can testify the good condition (thus, can get good value) of my cam. its not so much abt being engross in my equipment rather than photography. but, its precisely i value and enjoy photography that i take good care of my tools. those who been thru NS have been drilled to give tender loving care to our rifles. its the same principle. trust me... i've seen my buddy wrapped his personal M16 with so much black tape and camo cloth dat it makes my current camera looks under-dressed....

so, to each his/her own. as for me, here's how my 10D looks like. its still work in progress becos i haven't finish taping up the back of my cam.

cheers!

pic.jpg

Dude, you still need to work harder, but nonetheless, a better try than your older 300D :devil:

espn said:
Dude, you still need to work harder, but nonetheless, a better try than your older 300D :devil:

thanks..... i think.... :sweat:

btw, the nikon newbies over at nikon sub-forum hope to see ur work of art at NC.... which reminds me. aren't u suppose to be there by now? :bsmilie:

hmm...gaffer tape...:think:
also good for backpacking/photography trip to some remote areas...make it look worn & ugly, also tape the lcd so its looks like normal film slr... :D maybe thieves see already will :ipuke:

Espn...how much will it cost to gaffer tape 20d body and how long.

Shiroi said:
Espn...how much will it cost to gaffer tape 20d body and how long.

Just gave me an idea to sell gaffer tapes by the metre, plus wrapping service as well :devil:

It's advisable, for hygiene sake to change gaffer, esp if you have sweaty palms.

When I travel to places like Italy, Paris or places where thieves are rampant, I would tape down the brand as well. My leica M6 looks like any ordinary point and shoot camera after that, after hiding the red dot of course, hehe.

Those of you who've bought 2nd hand stuffs from me would be able to judge for yourself how mint the condition of these items are, thanks to the gaffer tapes.

Buy the whole roll lah, you never know how much you need ;)

canturn said:
Just gave me an idea to sell gaffer tapes by the metre, plus wrapping service as well :devil:

canturn.... :nono: :bsmilie:

canturn said:
It's advisable, for hygiene sake to change gaffer, esp if you have sweaty palms.

ard next mar 05? i think i'll need to get a standby roll from u. i currently down to half-roll. :embrass:

nightwolf75... can see how you wrap the behind?? How you go round all the buttons and LCD...

raid said:
nightwolf75... can see how you wrap the behind?? How you go round all the buttons and LCD...

erm... i already mentioned i haven't finish taping behind? :embrass:

as for the comments in the nikon sub-forum abt the tape leaving a residue, i can't comment becos i dun know wat tape they used. but, for canturn's gaffer tape, i can safely say it doesn't leave a residue at all. the gaffer tape canturn gets is tough alrite... u do need a scissors or knife to cut the tape into properly sized strips. which is not a bad thing for me, actually, as it means it can take a fair amount of abuse b4 the tape goes pecah.

disclaimer - i in no way related to canturn. so, i'm not trying to sell his tape on his behalf. i'm giving my 2 rupees from a user point of view. as mentioned earlier, if u dun like to gaffer then dun. if u want to then do. no point arguing abt the good/bad abt gaffering. ;)

nightwolf75 said:
guess we can argue until the cows come home or when singapore wins the world cup abt to gaffer or not. :p

honestly? one man's meat is the other poison. if u just ur cam just the way it is without all the ugly black tape, so be it. if u like to protect ur investment and black tape it, so be it. dun need to castigate or lambast people who do it, rite?

i gaffer becos (a) i'm a klutz, (b) i perspire a lot - ie sweaty palms and face, and (c) oily face. all these things messes up my cam. yeah. so it looks ugly. but heck, its worth it. for the buyers of my previous 300D can testify the good condition (thus, can get good value) of my cam. its not so much abt being engross in my equipment rather than photography. but, its precisely i value and enjoy photography that i take good care of my tools. those who been thru NS have been drilled to give tender loving care to our rifles. its the same principle. trust me... i've seen my buddy wrapped his personal M16 with so much black tape and camo cloth dat it makes my current camera looks under-dressed....

so, to each his/her own. as for me, here's how my 10D looks like. its still work in progress becos i haven't finish taping up the back of my cam.

cheers!

pic.jpg

Ahhh! I finally get to see a gaffered camera! :D hehe

So when you sell it, I guess when you sold your 300D you took the gaffer off?
After reading the gaffering threads, it seems that the aim of gaffering is to disguise your equipment so it doesn't look like it's worth stealing, and also to protect from scratches.?

for the ultimate gaffered equipment - contact espn.

espn: you own kim choo bak shop in joo chiat by any chance?

gryphon said:
U must be referring to my silver 300D which is now...BLACK!!! :D
My skills not bad right :D
Well....next time let someone take photo of my 300D & post here for everyone to see :lovegrin:
Oh ya, it was yours. Perfect gaffer.

Hua Ha! i finally got my baby wrapped who else but by the highly reccomended "King of Bah Zhang" i am looking forward to see your art work espn bro! ;)

Ooops.. I accidentally dropped it into the dustbin near the lift... :bsmilie:

It's almost done actually... left the minor details, will post some shots when fully done :)

espn said:
Ooops.. I accidentally dropped it into the dustbin near the lift... :bsmilie:

It's almost done actually... left the minor details, will post some shots when fully done :)

Wuah Seh! express JOB?! :kiss: :blah: thanks for doing it so fast bro, anyway was just wondering you mentioned Nikon council meet up is there such thinsg for canon users?

No leh.. waiting for my 20MB mails to go out.. so cut and do as I waited... :bsmilie: Surprisingly almost done.. :think:

Nope there's no Canon council that I know of, but you're welcome to drop by Nikon Council anytime :)

Let me know when it is ok, can pick up at night at 10PM daily.

Wuah lol it seems that Canon users would be from the other side, sekali go there will kena beaten up boh ? ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.