Is high ISO really that important

Hi all, just like to ask around before i commit on the D3s. Is high ISO really that useful? Or it is just a gimmick?

How high you need to go? If under 3200, can still consider D700 else above only D3s unless the near future replacement of D700 uses D3s sensor then you can get D3s high iso performance at D800 (the rumour replacement model no) pricing

after all, it really tuned down to needs and wants.
and how deep can your pocket dig.
please DO consider carefully before you make the decision.
but of cos, if you don't like the D3s after you bought, BnS is always welcome you.

My opinion on the matter is, it isnt very important. However having the option available is so very useful.

I don't mind my dslr having a good iso capabilities. You never know when you will need it.

But that goes for bringing a tripod, flash, lens and etc.

Always good to have when you didn't bring it.

Another angle to look at this...

The 2 most important exposure controls are aperture and shutter speed, tranditionally i.e.
However, these 2 parameters are not independent, when you change one, you need to alter the other to maintain the same EV. And when one or both is changed, there is implications to the resulting effect, and then it is about which best compromised combination to use... e.g. slower shutter speed risking blurry photo, or larger aperture giving shallower DoF, etc.

With a good high ISO body, another dimension in terms of exposure control is now in the equation. E.g. one is very confident that D3s yields very usable images up to iso 6400. Just set auto ISO mode and limit the upper iso range to 6400. There you have it, shoot in Manual exposure control now, select your preferred speed and f-stop and let the body vary ISO to get the right exposure. It's more automation offered by the camera, and in this case not causing the user to be more lazy, but instead leaving more control latitude for the photographer.

The wide and usable ISO range IMO is the single most important offering of the D3s, all the other features already existed in D3 or other semi-pro bodies.

correct. simply put. the correct exposure is dependent on the exposure triangle.

exposure-triangle-ISO-650-640x250.jpg

btw, ISO 3200 is available on D5000 as well.

High ISO at 3200 is good enough to produce image without visible grains. It is good enough to satisfy most demand in low light and without using flash. Above this level, it is no longer required or important.
This may vary from camera to camera with different ISO capability. For a high end camera, though you may not need an ISO beyond 3200 it serves as a ready ISO to meet demand whenever required. Whether this is a waste or otherwise, it depends on the individual's capacity to spend on the matter.

Last edited:
TS, go get it....u will have no regret on D3S high iSO performance ...
my sifu always tell me get the best u can afford......save the hassle of BUY>>>and SELL>>>BUY>>>>and SELL again ....no wonder saw many students shooting wif DSLR in town

Buy the D3s if you need unparalleled performance at high ISO. However, you should ask yourself whether high ISO is that important since you are the one paying for the camera.

High ISOs are very important for indoor action shots. If you've shot a, say, basketball match indoors, you'll find that ISO 3200 is low.

High ISOs are very important for indoor action shots. If you've shot a, say, basketball match indoors, you'll find that ISO 3200 is low.

but lower is also doable. If not, I wonder how the photographers do it in the days of film and older digital technology...

but lower is also doable. If not, I wonder how the photographers do it in the days of film and older digital technology...

Definitely possible, but very hard to do.

daredevil123 said:

I guess they used those big old flash dishes in the olden days. Indoors especially

I guess they used those big old flash dishes in the olden days. Indoors especially

You have to remember basketball courts, during tournaments are actually very brightly lit up.

I can tell you that high ISO is definitely important if you:

1) Shoot lowlight (At night, dark places)
2) Shoot events (indoors) like wedding...

ISO performance is also one of the reasons I switched from D90 to D700. And yes, it's a world different. D700(FF) gives very clean image on high ISO and long exposure. Compared to D90 which gives noisy image ISO 1600 and above.

If you mainly shoot well-lit subjects then forget about high ISO performance.

Of course ISO or sensitiivity to light is important if not crucial, as it determines exposure.

This is what differentiate analogue film from digital sensors. Film has over a hundred years of developement & refinement, digital sensors only a decade or so. In the past when highest ISO for film is limited to ASA 400, the technique of "push processing" is used for extreme low light & action photography handheld, the compromise is of course "grain", the equivalent of "noise" now. I believe the ISO largely determines the ability to capture the range of light & darkness as perceived by the human eye, in essence the quality of the photograph, other factors notwithstanding. Megapixels count on the other hand only represents the quantity (size mainly for enlargement purposes). More pixels doesnt necessarily mean better quality pictures but for higher ISO, yes.

Whether higher ISO is important to TS depends actually on what he want to do & know how to do. Yes, the better camera is a superb tool, but if the workmen is "empty up there", then it doesnt really matter imho. Anyway, my take in this case is simply get the best one can afford.

Last edited:
when i go Europe with my D700 and f2.8 lenses last Dec, i tot my pictures was great at high ISO for interior shots until i saw the pictures from my group member using a D3s. :thumbsup:

when u visit places like catacomb in Paris, you will truly appreciate the benefits of high iso. even my D700 i find it 'just capable' of doing the job. My bro-in-law canon DSLR cannot even produce an acceptable picture. (fyi, NO flash allowed)

however, i will still stick to my D700 coz i know i seldom need to hit those moments again and its not worth investing.

when i go Europe with my D700 and f2.8 lenses last Dec, i tot my pictures was great at high ISO for interior shots until i saw the pictures from my group member using a D3s. :thumbsup:

when u visit places like catacomb in Paris, you will truly appreciate the benefits of high iso. even my D700 i find it 'just capable' of doing the job. My bro-in-law canon DSLR cannot even produce an acceptable picture. (fyi, NO flash allowed)

however, i will still stick to my D700 coz i know i seldom need to hit those moments again and its not worth investing.

Most dark, dark places, usually have bad light as well, something to take note on.