Is age a good gauge for competency?

It is said that a photographer's work peaks at a certain age.. personally, I would consider life's experience important in any job, but there can be so many factors. Now, if all is equal, the 17 year old would be a cheaper hire (since he does not have a family to support), while the 40 year old would be a more expensive hire but with more life's experience.

So, if I was short of money and trying to fill a post, I would hire the 17 year old, if money not an issue, then I would hire the 40 year old!

good. do u wanna hire me?:thumbsup:

good. do u wanna hire me?:thumbsup:

:) Wholeheartedly, I love photography. However, as many times as I there were people around me who were thinking of turning to photography for their only living, as many times I put my best efforts to persuade them to find another rice ball and leave photography as a hobby only.

If you are thinking of turning your hobby into a profession, my personal opinion is to find something else. Anyone with a camera will pretend to be a "photographer" (and that's a lot of people with cameras :) ).

Then again, in my life I always did what I considered right and what was in my heart, thus I am a bad teacher, but not a photographer! :)

choose between 17 and 30...

if i go to 天安门 it's 17,
go to 同乐, it's 30.

i am quite curious abt this question.

usually when ur kids ask u why cannot do this why cannot do that, parents usually ans cause i eat salt more than u eat rice.

yet is this really true?

let me set the context so its easier for discussion:

assuming a photographer currently in his teens (lets say 17). he has started shooting from a young tender age of 7, and until now has experience in rangefinders, film slrs, Polaroids, dslrs etc, proficient in photoshop and DI.

vs

an adult of age 30, who has gotten their first dslr from IT show, shoot less than a year.

which would u hire to teach u photography? assuming both can teach.

i'm suspecting ppl will be more inclined to the adult due to the age cause personally thats what i'm more inclined to, even though i know that teenager is mroe experienced.
Firstly, film SLRs and rangefinders don't make you a good photographer. Seriously. I dare to say this since I shoot with a rangefinder. And my photography can never compare with the likes of Uncle TungTong and the other fabulous street/documentary photogs who still manage to make awesome photos with a big, fat DSLR.

Honestly, I think age has very little to do with photography. I'm sure there are a couple of "kids" out here with works that put most adult photographers to utter shame.

Age however, plays an important role in your mindset towards things, which I feel is a factor in photography. It's about thinking more maturely and has nothing to do with knowledge. Experience has less to do with photography than your mindset towards the world. I am still a somewhat ignorant 16-year-old but I have seen how much my photography has evolved in less than a year. I will show you a few examples in my next post.

Firstly, film SLRs and rangefinders don't make you a good photographer. Seriously. I dare to say this since I shoot with a rangefinder. And my photography can never compare with the likes of Uncle TungTong and the other fabulous street/documentary photogs who still manage to make awesome photos with a big, fat DSLR.

Honestly, I think age has very little to do with photography. I'm sure there are a couple of "kids" out here with works that put most adult photographers to utter shame.

Age however, plays an important role in your mindset towards things, which I feel is a factor in photography. It's about thinking more maturely and has nothing to do with knowledge. Experience has less to do with photography than your mindset towards the world. I am still a somewhat ignorant 16-year-old but I have seen how much my photography has evolved in less than a year. I will show you a few examples in my next post.

assuming everything constant, only differences are:

1: 17 year photog has amazing skills compared to a 30 year old photog
2: same equipment

are u able to clearly say that u can hire solely based on skills and portfolio only?

i suspect here that many have the mentality that older = better. something which i am also a partial believer.

i am taking a totally neutral stance here. just wanna see how ppl actually view this topic :) good for my gp sake wahaha.

Last edited:
choose between 17 and 30...

if i go to 天安门 it's 17,
go to 同乐, it's 30.

huh pls explain. i catch no ball:sweat:

are u able to clearly say that u can hire solely based on skills and portfolio only?

i suspect here that many have the mentality that older = better. something which i am also a partial believer.

i am taking a totally neutral stance here. just wanna see how ppl actually view this topic :) good for my gp sake wahaha.

Seems like you are pushing pretty hard for the 17 year old.

If the skills (i.e portfolio, not technical handling of different camera) skills of the 17 is better, then I'll take the 17 year old.

Seems like you are pushing pretty hard for the 17 year old.

If the skills (i.e portfolio, not technical handling of different camera) skills of the 17 is better, then I'll take the 17 year old.

no lar. wanna see if there could be a shift in the general mentality on age.:think:

okkies. realised may phrase this in a biased way already.

rank the things most important to u when choosing a photographer

1: age
2: portfolio
3: equipment
4: experience (how long in industry)
5: how big is their company

edited the first post to suit the change. this would allow more fairness in selecting what is more impt.

Last edited:
read first post: assuming they both can teach well:think:

Can teach well to who, under what conditions? Can anyone teach or handle a student that say, has ADD? What if the student completely lacks technical knowledge, can one easily communicate things like circle of confusion and so forth.

This is not just about experience, but mindset to handle situations like this.

Can teach well to who, under what conditions? Can anyone teach or handle a student that say, has ADD? What if the student completely lacks technical knowledge, can one easily communicate things like circle of confusion and so forth.

This is not just about experience, but mindset to handle situations like this.

ADD?:what:

*edit* have edited the qn to suit the needs even further.

Last edited:
huh pls explain. i catch no ball:sweat:

first is a ktv joint,
so maybe age matters for the,.... er, company provided there?

second is a restaurant.
now i m lost too.
cooking is like photography,
an art form.
age nor experience counts imo.

first is a ktv joint,
so maybe age matters for the,.... er, company provided there?

second is a restaurant.
now i m lost too.
cooking is like photography,
an art form.
age nor experience counts imo.

good. 1 more lost soul:thumbsup:

no lar. wanna see if there could be a shift in the general mentality on age.:think:

okkies. realised may phrase this in a biased way already.

edited the first post to suit the change. this would allow more fairness in selecting what is more impt.

hmm.. my fault for not reading the thread carefully. Thought it was for a photography assignment, now realised its to hire someone to teach photography.

But you already say both can teach well, so its a matter of costs then. :)

hmm.. my fault for not reading the thread carefully. Thought it was for a photography assignment, now realised its to hire someone to teach photography.

But you already say both can teach well, so its a matter of costs then. :)

yea. then i realsied teach well is gonna be way more subjective in terms of competency:bsmilie: so i edited the first post to become shoot well only:thumbsup:

some ppl can shoot well. yet cant teach.

since i'm gonna measure competency, might as well just place it as shoot well.

“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
My personal opinion is that as you grow older, the more attached you feel to your childhood memories. Age changes things.

It's like how 5 years ago, I detested the idea of sitting next to someone of the opposite gender. Today? I have a girlfriend. Things change with age.

A sample of my photography today:
4581379982_d2c81b44dc.jpg

My photography a year ago:
2792569808_60f64b677d.jpg

Both are the same in terms of technical composition. The difference? My thoughts when I took each of the photographs.

Last edited:

i am taking a totally neutral stance here. just wanna see how ppl actually view this topic good for my gp sake wahaha.
haha and I don't intend to take a stand either.

Today, I would definitely hire a 17-year-old provided his skills are good, similar to what ahbian said. However, if were still starting out photography, I wouldn't.

Sadly, you have to face the facts. This world is too materialistic. The easiest way to gauge material wealth is through the $ sign.
Ask any guy on the road whether he thinks someone with a Canon 1ds Mk999 takes better photos than a guy with a 300d. Obviously, he would be prejudiced in making his decision.
Age is just another easy way to "gauge" one's competency. Would you trust your 10-year-old brother/son with your platinum credit card? Nope you won't. Would you trust your 50-year-old dad or grandfather? More likely so.

haha and I don't intend to take a stand either.

Today, I would definitely hire a 17-year-old provided his skills are good, similar to what ahbian said. However, if were still starting out photography, I wouldn't.

Sadly, you have to face the facts. This world is too materialistic. The easiest way to gauge material wealth is through the $ sign.
Ask any guy on the road whether he thinks someone with a Canon 1ds Mk999 takes better photos than a guy with a 300d. Obviously, he would be prejudiced in making his decision.
Age is just another easy way to "gauge" one's competency. Would you trust your 10-year-old brother/son with your platinum credit card? Nope you won't. Would you trust your 50-year-old dad or grandfather? More likely so.

yep true true. a good point to make. maturity lvl will increase with age supposedly:sweat::thumbsup:

i am quite curious abt this question.

usually when ur kids ask u why cannot do this why cannot do that, parents usually ans cause i eat salt more than u eat rice.

yet is this really true?:think:

let me set the context so its easier for discussion:

assuming a photographer currently in his teens (lets say 17). he has started shooting from a young tender age of 7, and until now has experience in rangefinders, film slrs, Polaroids, dslrs etc, proficient in photoshop and DI.

vs

an adult of age 30, who has gotten their first dslr from IT show, shoot less than a year.

edited to: which would u hire to shoot photography?

i'm suspecting ppl will be more inclined to the adult due to the age:think: cause personally thats what i'm more inclined to, even though i know that teenager is mroe experienced.

*EDIT*

i am further adding on to this topic. realised it may had already been biased

i would go for;
1. experience (can't afford screw ups for my event)
2. portfolio (obvious)
3. how big is their company (just to make sure they are not fly by night operators)
4. equipment (decent equipment helps)
5. age (if he/she is well established in the industry, then he/she can't be that young after all)