Is a tripod a "MUST" for night photography??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of using a tripod, I use a Fuji S5 Pro. Can shoot high ISO (1600 to 3200) without much noise and if there is a bit of noise I clean it up with some noise reduction software like Noise Ninja or Nik Dfine.

If I am lucky, can take acceptably sharp (but of course not super sharp) pixs with my lens set at 300 mm as slow as 1/25 second. If not lucky or kan cheong (excited) then even 1/125 seconds or faster still have camera shake. With VR lens, I get "lucky" more often and can a higher rate of sharp pictures.

To me, this is more practical than carrying a tripod every where and by the time you set it up, the situation that you want to take may be gone. Tripod works only for things that don't move, eg scenery and buildings, or when you WANT them to move, ie to capture movement.

I have an essay on night photography without tripod published in JPG Magazine.

I also take a lot of concert / performance pixs, all without tripod. You can view some at my photo essay on On Stage Photography and my JPG essays on Wayang Topeng and other Esplanade performances, and also on my website.

This really boils down to how well the photographer plan and prepare prior to the shoot. I have never missed a shot because I had to set up the tripod.

This really boils down to how well the photographer plan and prepare prior to the shoot. I have never missed a shot because I had to set up the tripod.

Depends on what kind of photos you take. Obviously the type you take can be planned.

Not for me when when eg I shoot a Japanese / Korean rock band and the performers run/jump from one end of the stage to the other and I want to take a close up of the person's face rather than an overall wide-angle view of the entire stage. Not even when I shoot the much slower-moving Wayang Topeng.

Depends on what kind of photos you take. Obviously the type you take can be planned.

Not for me when when eg I shoot a Japanese / Korean rock band and the performers run/jump from one end of the stage to the other and I want to take a close up of the person's face rather than an overall wide-angle view of the entire stage. Not even when I shoot the much slower-moving Wayang Topeng.

I know but in the context of this thread, TS was asking about night scenes.

Single out a sentence I made which suggests IS is useless. You haven't even got the slightest clue what IS can (and cannot do) so please, stop coming back here time and again embarrassing yourself. Your knowledge is not even "minimum" so to speak.

I said this before. If you are not going to capture a nice scene proper, it doesn't do any good no matter how good the scene is. If you really know your fundamentals, you'd know that good scenes are usually waited out and seldom chanced upon.

If you think you can be slack just because the photos you take are not going to get printed, its your perogative.

Not all scenes can be planned, as people here already pointed out to u. And carrying a tripod around isn't always possible as well.

Saying all photography scene is planned, sounds like bullcrap to me.

Not all scenes can be planned, as people here already pointed out to u. And carrying a tripod around isn't always possible as well.

I think he is saying that all of HIS scenes, or at least HIS NIGHT scenes, are planned. Are there no spontaneous / decisive / unplanned moments in night photography? :dunno:

Sounds like bullcrap to you because you are not at that level yet. Stay around longer and you might end up learning a thing or two provided you don't get too full of yourself. So where's the dire situation photo?

I think he is saying that all of HIS scenes, or at least HIS NIGHT scenes, are planned. Are there no spontaneous / decisive / unplanned moments in night photography? :dunno:

Like I said, my comments were made within the context of the thread. Of course I'm aware that some genre of photography where tripods don't apply.

The basic answer is yes when shutter speed drops to 1/20 sec and longer. It is not about day or night, just plain low shutter speed.

Even with IS, not everyone can handle 1/30sec and with shaky hands 1/40-1/50.

Full Frame camera can outdo other camera with increased shutter and iso6400 BUT there is always a limit.

Whether tripod should be used or not depends on the situation.

Tripod cannot be used in this situation. I believed that VR saved the day for ths pic.

4098364752_306a4b8451_b.jpg

Should have used tripod for this shot so that the details of the "snowman" can stand out.

4098357196_638e9cf061_b.jpg

I don wanna waste time convincing someone who cant even see things from a broader perspective.

Im pretty sure that alot of people are like me. If we have a tripod, of cos we will use it. What reason for us not to? However if we're out and dont happen to have a tripod around with us, and something interesting comes about, we will make the best use of our camera to take the best picture possible, rather than to turn away from it just because there isnt a tripod available.

For me, between taking a picture at 1/2s with IS vs not taking at all just because I don hv a tripod, i would choose to take the picture. And im sure alot of people in this situation will choose this option as well. So what if the result isnt razor sharp? Its the meaning behind the picture that counts, sharpness is secondary. As long as the pic looks clear enough, then its worth taking. Walking away from a shot just because of picture wont be at the highest possible sharpness, is laughable.

And for my test picture, its clear that having to use sensor IS (or lens IS) at 1/2s shutter speed, is much clearer than not using IS at all. Which brings us back to what was mentioned above. In a no tripod situation, and having to use 1/2s with IS, the picture sharpness is considered very much acceptable. This is so much better than not taking and then having no picture to show for that moment/scene.

Last edited:
I don wanna waste time convincing someone who cant even see things from a broader perspective.

Im pretty sure that alot of people are like me. If we have a tripod, of cos we will use it. What reason for us not to? However if we're out and dont happen to have a tripod around with us, and something interesting comes about, we will make the best use of our camera to take the best picture possible, rather than to turn away from it just because there isnt a tripod available.

For me, between taking a picture at 1/2s with IS vs not taking at all just because I don hv a tripod, i would choose to take the picture. And im sure alot of people in this situation will choose this option as well. So what if the result isnt razor sharp? Its the meaning behind the picture that counts, sharpness is secondary. As long as the pic looks clear enough, then its worth taking. Walking away from a shot just because of picture wont be at the highest possible sharpness, is laughable.

And for my test picture, its clear that having to use sensor IS (or lens IS) at 1/2s shutter speed, is much clearer than not using IS at all. Which brings us back to what was mentioned above. In a no tripod situation, and having to use 1/2s with IS, the picture sharpness is considered very much acceptable. This is so much better than not taking and then having no picture to show for that moment/scene.

When you can't back yourself up, you start finding justifications for your ignorance. From saying that its ok to shoot at 1/2 sec with IS to saying its actually to salvage a situation.

Walking away from a shot you are not prepared to take speaks discipline, dedication, care and responsibility..... quality control for you layman. A tripod gives you more than a sharp photo but I don't expect you to comprehend all that since you are still at infancy stage.

If you are happy with sub-standard stuff then by all means, go ahead. Stop coming back here spreading ill-informed information and embarrassing yourself. Many would agree with you?? Look around, do you see a sympathetic ear?

Just in case, the is within context of the thread.

When you can't back yourself up, you start finding justifications for your ignorance. From saying that its ok to shoot at 1/2 sec with IS to saying its actually to salvage a situation.

Walking away from a shot you are not prepared to take speaks discipline, dedication, care and responsibility..... quality control for you layman. A tripod gives you more than a sharp photo but I don't expect you to comprehend all that since you are still at infancy stage.

If you are happy with sub-standard stuff then by all means, go ahead. Stop coming back here spreading ill-informed information and embarrassing yourself. Many would agree with you?? Look around, do you see a sympathetic ear?

Just in case, the is within context of the thread.

Please read what Ive written way back in page 2.

Im not debating that tripod works better than IS. Of cos it does, everyone knows that.

Im saying that in a situation without tripod, at least IS will still allows u to take pictures better than not having IS. Say you are having your DSLR and walking around and suddenly a nice scene comes up, and you have no tripod. You metered the scene, and your camera displays 1/2s shutter speed, at widest aperture and ISO already at 1600. What do you do? Try to take the picture even though shutter speed is so low? Or walk away?

I can bet that a camera with sensor IS can take sharper pictures than a camera without IS on a wide angel lens of around 16mm and at a shutter speed of 1/2.

And I donno where you get the idea that no one agrees with me.

I see people posting pics of handheld night shots in this threads, and saying its fine to take pics at night without tripod if there isnt one available at that point of time. The pictures posted by others here contains lots of noise, and some are not very sharp, but so what? They still take them because its worth taking, and there isnt another better choice other than handheld, which agrees with my idea that taking a picture at low shutter pic with decent sharpness is better than not taking at all. Infact, I dont see anyone following ur idea of "only use tripod to take night shots, else rather dont take" kind of philosophy.

Last edited:
I donno where you get the idea that no one agrees with me.

I see people posting pics of handheld night shots in this threads, and saying its fine to take pics at night without tripod if there isnt one available at that point of time. The pictures posted by others here contains lots of noise, and some are not very sharp, but so what? They still take them because its worth taking, and there isnt another better choice other than handheld, which agrees with my idea that taking a picture at low shutter pic with decent sharpness is better than not taking at all. I dont see anyone following ur idea of "only use tripod to take night shots, else rather dont take" kind of philosophy.

Ahhh..... that's what I meant. You subscribe to a lower standard of quality control and am happy with it. That's the difference. If only you take pride in the photos you take.....

Ahhh..... that's what I meant. You subscribe to a lower standard of quality control and am happy with it. That's the difference. If only you take pride in the photos you take.....

See the pictures posted by others? Did everyone always use tripod for all night shots? Why did they take those pictures if they know the result wont be as sharp as it is possible with a tripod? Because they know its better to take a picture, even if it wont be of the best sharpness, than not to take at all.

And i subscribe to this "better to take, than not take" philosophy.

Last edited:
Page 2? What was that?

Showing meaningless half-baked photos of a green tea bottle or regurgitating wholesale from youTube? Which one?

i didnt realise that u cant even read even when ive quoted for u to see. I cant help u with ur eyesight.

I have tried to shoot without tripod...and all my pictures so blur and distorted...so a tripod is a must?? Night photography at smaller aperture and the shutter speed will be very slow..so hand held is impossible???

Need some advise thanks

You might want to re-read(or check your sights as you suggested) what TS asked in the very first. She had asked specifically about the necessacity of a tripod because she was concerned about image quality, not alternatives to tripods. Get back on course.....

See the pictures posted by others? Did everyone always use tripod for all night shots? Why did they take those pictures if it wont be as sharp as with a tripod? Because they know its better to take a picture, even if it wont be of the best sharpness, than not to take at all.

And i subscribe to this "better to take, than not take" philosophy.

and for your sake, I hope that's going to be changed......

i didnt realise that u cant even read even when ive quoted for u to see. I cant help u with ur eyesight.

Woooo...... getting fiesty.....

Last edited:
Wah...still at it ar? :D

For me, and YMMV, VR/IS is for enhancing handheld shots, not for replacing the tripod. And the intent of the photo must be met/delivered. It's perfectly ok for a blurry picture with plenty of noise, especially if converted to B&W, if that's what you wanna protray in your picture. However, camera shake has no place in picture that was supposed to be pin sharp.

Also, for the casual shot of a night scene just to remember the event/place by, I suppose a slightly blurry picture would be OK. The issue was perhaps confused by the discussion of IBIS s VR vs tripod which would be more relevant for photography as a more serious undertaking.

Peace :)

Status
Not open for further replies.