iPod Photo or Epson P2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnus Wedberg said:
Could you really zoom into the fine detail? Because 1) Epson specifies that it only reads the header JPEG 2) it seems unlikely that the device have such processing power that it can decode RAW files. But I may be wrong :)

With Raw you can't zoom but with Jpeg, you can zoom. But it's LCD is really clear and sharp as compare to the Archos.

-7- said:
Guys,

Thanks for all the valuable inputs...but I'm more keen to know the experience with any of the products mentioned above... and ofcos, experience it with 7D...

---> JJ
Do you own the P2000? How is it? Works perfectly with 1DsMKII? How is its battery lifetime?

Yup I own 2 P2000. It's great! it works totally fine with 1DsMKII and 1DMKII.
What I really like is the Color contrast/Sharpness of the display. I can transfer up to 14pcs of CF1Gb with a little viewing here and there before it rans flat.

J.J said:
With Raw you can't zoom but with Jpeg, you can zoom.

Exactly. Then it can't read RAW, just the low res JPEG header. With the 7D, you can shoot JPEG + RAW or maybe Archos will support the THM JPEG file in a later firmware update... anyway, I don't think it matters much...

Magnus Wedberg said:
Exactly. Then it can't read RAW, just the low res JPEG header. With the 7D, you can shoot JPEG + RAW or maybe Archos will support the THM JPEG file in a later firmware update... anyway, I don't think it matters much...

If it doesn't read, how does it display Raw on the screen?

J.J said:
If it doesn't read, how does it display Raw on the screen?

What's display on the screen is not the 'real' raw data. But instead it's just a thumbnail of the image which is stalled in part of the raw file, usually as jpeg (minolta's raw filess has seperate thumbnail file).

Remember, what's so amazing about raw files is that it's a straight dump of data from the CCD 'accesorized' with info on the shooting conditions etc. With the raw dump from the ccd, you skip the camera's processing and allows you to use other software to turn that CCD dump into an image, and that software may allows you better control, or even convert better than camera's internal processsing.

Guys n gals,

walked ard in Funan Centre... hands on ARGOSY, claimed as the smallest photo harddisk in the world so far. Very small and handy...

it has no photos display, well, this may not be that important anyway.

verbal quoted at SD$399.00, well it is slightly higher than the price quoted in Photo i mag. (Feb. Issue).

on a 2nd thought, Photo i mag also intoduces QCool OTG II which is the casing for 2.5" harddisk. selling at SD$179.00 Anyone knows how much does a 2.5" harddisk - 40G costs? It may turn out cheaper than ARGOSY :)

-7- said:
Anyone knows how much does a 2.5" harddisk - 40G costs? :)

Just bought one (got ripped off at ATF in SLS) for $153... later saw the same Seagate drive at Skylet for $139... 40GB, 5400RPM, 8MB cache, FDB, 5 years warranty, first 3 years 1:1 exchange, last 2 years direct RMA to Seagate.

BTW, the QCool looks really good! If only it had a small LCD panel...

Oh btw, regarding PMC and Epson P2000.... these do not have a card reader, is it possible to connect a USB card reader to the device?

Frankly I think this market for massive storage will see a quantum leap in terms of usability and features as well as see a immense fall in price by end of this year... the situation is quite similar to that of MP3 players... the market is flooded by models and models of MP3 players of every design, intent and function... and I think we'll see a sub-$400 40GB storage solution with a small LCD panel soon. It's just waiting to happen... someone out there perhas in Taiwan or Japan is going to cotton on this and sell it like crazy... there are lots of crazy enthusiasts like us who like to shoot thousands of shots at one go.... I think the market is there.... :D

TME said:
Just bought one (got ripped off at ATF in SLS) for $153... later saw the same Seagate drive at Skylet for $139... 40GB, 5400RPM, 8MB cache, FDB, 5 years warranty, first 3 years 1:1 exchange, last 2 years direct RMA to Seagate.
Hi, is the later saw S$139 includes the casing as well? Sorry if this is a dumb quest. as I'm very very new to this portable HD thingy... one of the shop quoted S$139 for a 40G + casing, but not Seagate, it is Samsung with only 3 yrs warranty..

TME said:
BTW, the QCool looks really good! If only it had a small LCD panel...
Yeah, totally agree on this... the ARGOSY has a small LCD and enable you to create folders with it... pretty user control, relatively...

TME said:
Oh btw, regarding PMC and Epson P2000.... these do not have a card reader, is it possible to connect a USB card reader to the device?
What's PMC? As per the P2000, think you can consider PM JJ as he owns 2 and dun think he'll come in Minolta thread as he is a C user.

$139 no casing. Just the HDD.... the shop that quoted u the HDD and casing... I wonder which shop that is.... It's better to get a casing that comes with a secondary power supply as not all laptops and USB ports can carry enough power to spin up the HDDs. Also if u get your own casing, u can get an alumnium one which cools better and these are pretty cheap these days... about $35. In any case, if u are getting a 40GB HDD plus an alumnium casing, then $139 is a pretty good price! Brand of HDD not so important... Samsung probably licenses some HDD technology from one of the more established players like Hitachi/IBM, Maxtor or Seagate, etc....

TME said:
$139 no casing. Just the HDD.... the shop that quoted u the HDD and casing... I wonder which shop that is.... It's better to get a casing that comes with a secondary power supply as not all laptops and USB ports can carry enough power to spin up the HDDs. Also if u get your own casing, u can get an alumnium one which cools better and these are pretty cheap these days... about $35. In any case, if u are getting a 40GB HDD plus an alumnium casing, then $139 is a pretty good price! Brand of HDD not so important... Samsung probably licenses some HDD technology from one of the more established players like Hitachi/IBM, Maxtor or Seagate, etc....

Thanks! Points noted... the one tha I mentioned, it has no secondary power supply...

Status
Not open for further replies.