I'm New to photography, need opinion on which entry level DSLR camera to begin with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! I am still indecisive about which ENTRY LEVEL cameras to choose from..
I hope to hear more and would be renting once i've decide afew options. :)
After all the advices and opinions given: what exactly is still unclear / missing / open? The websites of each manufacturer give you an overview about the line-up of cameras. The Price Guide here show clearly the cheapest ones - usually these are the entry level cameras. If you want to hear more than please start asking questions in the right direction. Everything else is said.

I guess the only thing left is to go to a camera shop and have some hands on , so u can feel which brand's DSLR suits your hands... and also feel comfortable with the menu interface.

Just to share my experience, I think the best way to get a feel of the DSLR functions is to go borrow or rent one for a week and try it out..... Trying it out at Courts or HN, is not enough. Although u get a feel of the grip and size of the camera, u can't get a feel of how it handles in diff situations (e.g. walking around with the camera around ur neck).

That's what I found out when I recently rented a camera for almost a week. I wanted to take pics/videos of my kids concert performance, so I rented a 500D and 2 lens (kit lens and zoom lens). In that few days with the camera, I had the chance to try out the camera in all sort of situations (school hall - tricky lighting, dim inside, bright outside, yellow spotlight vs white florescent).... Tried out different kinds of photography (landscape/scenery, flowers, street photography, portraits, etc) and discovered which type I like.....

In that few days, I understand better what is aperture, shutter speed, ISO, autofocus, than all the past 1-2 months reading abt it. Mind u, I had read up a lot to learn the terms, so I knew about the terms, but only after I tried it out myself, then u understand better what they mean and how they work together to produce the final picture....

I also understood why some lens are so expensive.... The zoom lens that I got was a 70-200mm f4 L lens... The lens was so sharp and so "shiok" to use, that I found myself using it for most of my shots, even for my indoor shots.... Even for me as a beginner (I have always used a simple PnS), I could appreciate the difference between the L lens and the kit lens..... So the advice is really true....Just get a decent camera body and save your $$$ for the lens....

Tried out the video function and got to see if it was a function that I would use or not.... Found out that although it was a good feature to have (that was the main reason why I rented the 500D - to video the concert performance), other than that I didn't use it much..... So although it's a nice to have, it's probably not a feature that I'll pay that much for....

So u see, having the camera with u and actually using it for a few days would really help u discover which features u really like and need. From there u can look for a camera that meets your need..... So, go rent the camera (or better still, borrow from a friend) and try it out yourself ! Hope the advice helps !!!

ok... I do agree that spending more time with a device is certainly more beneficial than just a few mins at a shop.
But you're sort of confusing 2 different points here.
It's not possible to learn about how aperture, DOF, shutter speed, ISO speed, etc works by fiddling with the camera at the shop.
But we're talking about deciding between a shortlist of cameras here, not learning about photography.
In the end you still bought the 500D (or I presume you did), so would the knowledge gained be any less if you had rented an Olympus/Pentax/Sony/Nikon, or another Canon model for that matter?

My point is that renting a camera is not a cheap thing, relative to its purchase price.
If you want to rent a DSLR to see if carrying one around suits your lifestyle and photography requirements, by all means go ahead.
If you can't decide between 3 camera models, and you go out and rent all 3 to field test them, that's not wrong too, but I think it's rather costly, that's all.

Either that go to a shop and hope tat guy there wun be pissed off my u trying onto all the camera within ur budget. i think go for the ergonomics handling of the camera is the most important and then adapt to the camera and make the best out of the camera through ur skillz which u definitely improve through times ;)

Either that go to a shop and hope tat guy there wun be pissed off my u trying onto all the camera within ur budget.

Alternatively, there are show rooms (Canon has one in VivoCity, iirc).

Ahh my bad ^^ been studyin in Australia for 3 yrs le there4 din even have a chance to go to the Vivo showroom at all. But gonna visit there soon coz come coming back le~ hehe hopefully i wun be going home satisfied as my wallet wud slim down alot :embrass:

hi geri,

since you are on a budget, just buy the cheapest 2nd hand dslr you can find (any brand will do). prices start at only $300+ for a 2nd hand entry level dslr + kit lens. it will take you some time to master and outgrow the camera, and you can resell it for not much loss if you decide to upgrade later.

:cool:

Last edited:
hi geri,

since you are on a budget, just buy the cheapest 2nd hand dslr you can find (any brand will do). prices start at only $300+ for a 2nd hand entry level dslr + kit lens. it will take you some time to master and outgrow the camera, and you can resell it for not much loss if you decide to upgrade later.

:cool:

yeah... agreed! I've seen too many 1st time DSLR owners play with the camera for a few months, then give up. Waste a lot of $$.

hallo! is panasonic GF1 a good entry level DSLR? i like it cos of its compact size...appreciate comments thanks!:)

hallo! is panasonic GF1 a good entry level DSLR? i like it cos of its compact size...appreciate comments thanks!:)

Halo too! :) Sorry Gf1 is not a DSLR. But it's good since the size is quite okay. But for me I would recommend a camera with an optical viewfinder.

oic..thanks! i tot it was cos for the price n panasonic website categorised it under DSLR...

Hi there,
I do agree with Zaren & Zerocoolastra too.
If you are on a tight budget, you can consider getting a second hand SLR.
At the end of the day, you will be the one using the SLR and not us.
There will be a never ending recommendation from ppl on Canon, Nikon, Pentex or any other brand.
Try going to any store or borrow from friends/relatives and play around with it.
You can go many times if you feel you need more time with the SLR.
Most SLR have similar fundamental features except are placed differently on the menu.
At least in the end if you think photography is not something for you, it's still a 2nd hand SLR & it won't be hurting your pocket too much.
Cheers. :cool:

I am still doing research on the cameras that i have in mind.
appreciate all the feedbacks from everyone! THANK YOU :)

i did thought of getting a second hand rather than a first hand.
but it's risky for my case to get a second hand ones as i do not know how to check if there's any damages or crack in the lens.
It will be better if i can get better deals for first hand ones.
Since i am only getting an entry level camera to start with.

well, i'm not the sort who has only 60 seconds interest in photography.
i'm really keen that's why i am taking a long time to figure out certain factors before getting one. Cos i am the sentimental sort who sticks to 1 camera for a long long time until it's too old & cannot be use anymore. ;)

Meantime, keep on flooding my threads alright? i would be happy to hear more advices & all! thank thank thank you peeps! CHEERS :sticktong

not that difficult to buy 2nd hand la...
So far my 2nd hand purchases (lens, flash, etc) over Clubsnap have been pleasant and fuss-free.

meet in a well-lit area (maybe early evening, when sun has not set yet), so you can see clearly if there are any damage marks.
Also test test test all the functions.
Bring a friend who is familiar with cameras if possible.

Hey, then get a Nikon D90 first hand. :)

I was (sort of) in your shoes a few months before, trying to decide if I should buy new or second hand. I kept looking at the BnS section for months, if not a year. In the end, for the novice and worry wart that I am, I got a new one.

I reckon it's not worth it to worry over whether the camera is faulty if my shots are lousy. If it's a new camera, when my shots are lousy, I know there can only be one factor. But if it's second hand, I'll start to wonder if it could be something in there that's spoilt, or if the seller had been dishonest etc.

Like you, I read tons of reviews and research on the cameras for a year or two without touching the real thing. I tried in vain to decide if I should get a Canon or Nikon, and if it's either brand, exactly which model I should get.

Earlier on, I'd tried a friend's D200 and it was too heavy to give me any joy in using it.

I finally mustered my courage to go down to the stores to try holding the camera.

Ahh! That decided the brand. It's the ergonomics that mattered then.

Then the model. I decided based on the weight, and how new it was. As it turned out, D90 was newest compared to D60, and I was alright with D90's weight, so I settled for it.

Oh oh, get a friend or someone who knows about DSLRs, even if it's a bit, to go down with you.

:) Since u have the model in mind, go out there and try the first feel.. Make sure u like it
and love to hold it. Else any other factor will not be useful to u as your hand not fit in to the model..
Next try to snap and play with the button then consider the photo and unit pro and con.:cool:
there are many 'similar' model at almost same price tag for entry and important is which color u like most, those model good at few color only.
Read more preview form web then u will know the different. Very person and a different sensor to color.
No one will say the first camera is alway the right choose..
If u have digital exp for 3 yrs. I believe u know what i mean and u look for fast snap which all DSLR can meet your requirement..

Hey Photographers!
Which one would you invest if you are choosing from Canon 500D , Nikon D5000 or D90?

I am thinking of D5000..

i have another question.
When purchasing 2nd hand on ClubSNAP, upon meeting up for viewing, what should i be checking for and all?

SOMEONE PLS HELP ME WITH SOME ADVICE AND GUIDELINES!!?!?! :)

i would appreciate if you guys can flood my thread. THANK YOU!

Hey Photographers!
Which one would you invest if you are choosing from Canon 500D , Nikon D5000 or D90?

I am thinking of D5000..

i have another question.
When purchasing 2nd hand on ClubSNAP, upon meeting up for viewing, what should i be checking for and all?

out of the 3 cameras here, the D5000 is the worse choice...

Hey Photographers!

I am thinking of D5000..

i have another question.

If you like the feel of the D5000, by all means get it. It's a good camera. No doubt that it loses to the D90 and 500D in terms of specifications, but hey... maybe you prefer the smaller size and also the flip LCD :)

If you're purchasing 2nd hand camera + lens through Clubsnap, best to meet in a fairly well-lit area, so you can see the camera properly. Check for physical damage, especially on the optical elements. Best is to bring someone familiar with DSLRs. I'm available, for $50/hour ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.